There are 249 users in the forums

Singletary's Approval Rating

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Singletary's Approval Rating

My take? He's better than what we've had for the past few years.

People are expecting WAY too much out of a ROOKIE, yes, ROOKIE head coach. For crying out loud, the guy hasn't even been an OC or DC. Let him get a year underneath him before you seriously start critiquing so much. I'm glad we're not constantly getting blown out. Under Nolan, this team would've been destroyed by the likes of Minnesota and Indy.

There's still a good likelihood of us making the post-season, and if we do, Singletary accomplishing that in his first year as HC would be fantastic. Not many first-time HC's can do that.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He sucks.

Week 11, 1980. Bill Walsh was 5-22 as head coach. you were one of those people saying he was horrible, and needs to go. way to go dude. great instincts.

be more patient. successful coaches dont just walk in and go 13-3 and win the super bowl. calm down. im glad no one on this board is in charge of anything in the 49ers organization. everyone pulls the plug so early.

And you're the same guy who expected to lose to the Colts on Sunday.
He sucks until he changes his philosophy

What good team in the NFL has this lame ass philosophy??

NONE!! They use the TEAMS strength. Sing wake the f**k up
Id cut Sing , Raye and Scotty M loose. Actually id fire every coach except Rathman and Manusky. This isnt a start up franchise and there is no excuse good enough to not have a winning season in almost a decade. Our owners settle for wal mart type coaches and we get wal mart type results. This team needs a experienced quality head coach and staff and a quality GM with a proven draft record. This team has as many holes as it did in 03. We still need quality starters at the OL,DL,CB,S,WR, LB, actually holes everywhere but the DL, TE and maybe QB. What we dont need is what we have now. IN a coach n staff that take our best CB n demote him while his replacements get torn apart with Wayne having a monster day 147 1 td and Manning putting up almost 350 yards passing. Id bet Clements doesnt show his ass like Spencer on that TD. Also if Clements isnt fielding punts his shoulder doesnt break wtf was that experiment all about anyways. Anyone know? Or how they continue to run n run into the teeth of a defense when they had a whole half of football and another half of football to see that Smith n Co can really score more n move teh chains better passing to set up the run. An experienced HC n staff would see that and adjust to win football games. Actually thats just what the good coaches do which isnt what we have here. The good coaches actually go for what is working and stick with it. The bad coaches dont which is what we have seen so far this season. The bad ones get a meager lead n sit on it with vanilla 3 n outs wasting any defensive gains n offensive momentum. Id be more than happy to see a huge change here with our coaching staff and GM. Its more than needed and called for.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's an okay coach. I think he may have over estimated our talent level.
We're 3-4. That's how I judge Singletary. And right now, we're 3-4.
Singletary will be fine. He just might have to tinker with a few positions and some staff members.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I have hope that somewhere down the line people wake up at the 49ers and bring us back to our heritage. A slick WCO side that can attack. In order for us to succeed in this I feel we have to go through some tough times. Changing the culture is the main thing. I think Singletary is good for us because he is changing our losing habits.

You have to build foundations and I believe he is doing this. He has to recognise faults and be more adaptive though.
I still feel pretty much the same way about Singletary as I did in the beginning. He has the team on the right track, but he is still fairly unproven. I hope he can get the offensive philosophy and production fixed. If and when he does that, this team is going to be dangerous, and will probably be one of the most balanced teams in the league.

The difference between this team and a team like Minnesota (who is 7-1) is not far off. Every team can say woulda, coulda, shoulda, but I really think 1 or 2 tweaks and this team has 1 or 2 losses.
I was 100% at the beginning of the season, but I have to put 60% now.

The offense is broken and, not only does he not have a clue about how to fix it, he seems to act like things are either fine or moving in the right direction. The only coaching move on offense that has been "in the right direction" was putting Smith in for Hill imo.

Everything else looks like definition of insanity - repeatedly trying the same things and expecting different results.

I need to see him at least attempt an overhaul of the offensive philosophy to say he's the right man for the job or a good coach at this point.

Originally posted by billybonka:
Jimmy Raye is the problem here
Originally posted by ramanz16:
It's clear we need some better personal in certain positions (o-line specifically). I think Singletary has done a great job with some of our young talent (Willis, Davis), but I do wish we would have hired a more creative mind as OC because he's not the 'X's and O's' HC that can fix our issues there. I love the guy, though, and hope he proves his doubters wrong and takes us into the playoffs this year, which I believe he'll do.

+1
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Id cut Sing , Raye and Scotty M loose. Actually id fire every coach except Rathman and Manusky. This isnt a start up franchise and there is no excuse good enough to not have a winning season in almost a decade. Our owners settle for wal mart type coaches and we get wal mart type results. This team needs a experienced quality head coach and staff and a quality GM with a proven draft record. This team has as many holes as it did in 03. We still need quality starters at the OL,DL,CB,S,WR, LB, actually holes everywhere but the DL, TE and maybe QB. What we dont need is what we have now. IN a coach n staff that take our best CB n demote him while his replacements get torn apart with Wayne having a monster day 147 1 td and Manning putting up almost 350 yards passing. Id bet Clements doesnt show his ass like Spencer on that TD. Also if Clements isnt fielding punts his shoulder doesnt break wtf was that experiment all about anyways. Anyone know? Or how they continue to run n run into the teeth of a defense when they had a whole half of football and another half of football to see that Smith n Co can really score more n move teh chains better passing to set up the run. An experienced HC n staff would see that and adjust to win football games. Actually thats just what the good coaches do which isnt what we have here. The good coaches actually go for what is working and stick with it. The bad coaches dont which is what we have seen so far this season. The bad ones get a meager lead n sit on it with vanilla 3 n outs wasting any defensive gains n offensive momentum. Id be more than happy to see a huge change here with our coaching staff and GM. Its more than needed and called for.

This is why you are not in the professional football. You expect there to be studs at every position, including the front office?

The part I bolded I believe falls on Raye and Singletary's stubbornness. They need to get over that.

We have a rookie coach so I will judge not only on how he finishes out the season but how he goes about his business next year. I think he is too stubborn and needs to get a reality check somehow in order to either tell Raye to open the playbook or himself to open it.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Jimmy Raye is the problem here

+ the o-line.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He sucks.

Week 11, 1980. Bill Walsh was 5-22 as head coach. you were one of those people saying he was horrible, and needs to go. way to go dude. great instincts.

be more patient. successful coaches dont just walk in and go 13-3 and win the super bowl. calm down. im glad no one on this board is in charge of anything in the 49ers organization. everyone pulls the plug so early.

Yeah, Bill Walsh's team was 5-22, but you could see how his team was getting better and better week after week, you could clearly see his offensive genius and game management on the field. Do you see that with Sing? Like Ali G says: Ich don't think so.
Share 49ersWebzone