LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Thoughts on the Colts game (Jimmy Raye, Alex Smith, yada yada)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I don't think Norv Turner will survive another season as Chargers head coach but I don't think Singletary will fire Raye after this season and im not so sure Norv would even take the 49ers OC job if it was offered.

NO MORE NORV! F*** me once, shame on you . . .

I agree and I don't think he would even take the job and bottom line is I seriously doubt Singletary fires Raye after the season.

Bottom line, we should have kept Martz. We ran the ball better with Martz as our OC than Raye as our OC with basically the same O-Line and can you imagine our passing game with another year in Martz's system and the addition of Michael Crabtree...
I don't think Norv Turner will survive another season as Chargers head coach but I don't think Singletary will fire Raye after this season and im not so sure Norv would even take the 49ers OC job if it was offered.

So you are saying that if you were offered a HC job that pays three or four times as much as a OC job you'd have turned it down? Not to mention if it were on a team much closer to the playoffs? In the words of a semi famous USC WR turned ESPN analyst "C'mon Man"

After his latest failure in the ranks of head coaching, I doubt very seriously that he gets another head coaching offer for quite some time. His familiarity with Smith, Gore and vice versa, if he wants to OC in the Bay Area again, I am 100% for it happening. He might not be a viable head coach, but he calls one hell of a game as an OC. I bet the players would be happy to have him back here as well.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

So you are saying that if you were offered a HC job that pays three or four times as much as a OC job you'd have turned it down? Not to mention if it were on a team much closer to the playoffs? In the words of a semi famous USC WR turned ESPN analyst "C'mon Man"

After his latest failure in the ranks of head coaching, I doubt very seriously that he gets another head coaching offer for quite some time. His familiarity with Smith, Gore and vice versa, if he wants to OC in the Bay Area again, I am 100% for it happening. He might not be a viable head coach, but he calls one hell of a game as an OC. I bet the players would be happy to have him back here as well.

No im saying he will have other OC jobs to chose from and im sure he could pick a better situation than working for Singletary and plus he wanted to be in the Bay Area 3 or 4 years ago because his son was in High School, im pretty sure his son has graduated from high school by now.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I agree and I don't think he would even take the job and bottom line is I seriously doubt Singletary fires Raye after the season.

Bottom line, we should have kept Martz. We ran the ball better with Martz as our OC than Raye as our OC with basically the same O-Line and can you imagine our passing game with another year in Martz's system and the addition of Michael Crabtree...

+1

Martz covered up a lot of the bad talent on our O with schemes that worked toward the end of the year. Now without a good OC we are getting an eye full of how mediocre our talent level is on that side of the ball.
Originally posted by jcs:

+1

Martz covered up a lot of the bad talent on our O with schemes that worked toward the end of the year. Now without a good OC we are getting an eye full of how mediocre our talent level is on that side of the ball.

Yeah but the difference is we now have some talent on offense. Martz made Shuan Hill look good but I think Alex Smith in Martz's scheme would be even that much better plus now we have Crabtree and Vernon Davis is a pro bowl tight end. Now, the one good thing about Raye, is that he does use his tight ends and he is gettng Vernon Davis the ball unlike Martz.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

+1

Yeah but the difference is we now have some talent on offense. Martz made Shuan Hill look good but I think Alex Smith in Martz's scheme would be even that much better plus now we have Crabtree and Vernon Davis is a pro bowl tight end. Now, the one good thing about Raye, is that he does use his tight ends and he is gettng Vernon Davis the ball unlike Martz.

I think Martz might have kept VD in because he knew our Oline sucked and needed all the help they could get.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye is a first time OC. He entered the season with a vision of a power running game and a passing game that was TE friendly. Now that Alex is the Qb, I pray that he starts to open things up and maybe if it continues to be effective the no huddle offense might work for us.

But old men are stubborn and Sing has forgotten that a good Defense is important in the playoffs, but to make the playoffs you have to score more points then your opponent.
Originally posted by GORO:
Jimmy Raye is a first time OC. He entered the season with a vision of a power running game and a passing game that was TE friendly. Now that Alex is the Qb, I pray that he starts to open things up and maybe if it continues to be effective the no huddle offense might work for us.

But old men are stubborn and Sing has forgotten that a good Defense is important in the playoffs, but to make the playoffs you have to score more points then your opponent.

That's so ageist!
Originally posted by sincalniner:

The QB coach is going to be our next OC, that's why he was brought here to establish continuity for the team going forward.

GOOD CALL!!! I've been hearing his name tossed around the league as a possible OC. He's got allot of potential. Raye is old school which i think we all see in his play calling. "out of date"
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
It's hard for me to believe that anyone can be satisfied with Smith's performance yesterday.

He played 'OK'.

He didn't come through when it mattered.

Although I'm also quite upset with Issac Bruce for dropping half of the balls that hit him in the hands.

Please Coach Sing, deactivate Bruce, put Spurlock back as return man and start Nate Davis. If Davis sucks, then go back to Smith and focus on acquiring a good QB in the offseason.

That's a good idea. We finally have a qb who looks the part and who is likely to just get better, particularly if we get an O line, and you want to drop him in favour of a completely untried rookie.

Good thinking.

Uh...what???!!! dude come on your initial post was tight and right on the money but if Martz was still the OC VD would have like 6 catches and Isaac Bruce would still be the #1 target of the offense. Martz was an idiot last year he totally let his ego take control of his decision making. Raye make suck but at least he's featuring VD.
Just wanted to agree with Isaac sucking yesterday - he should be riding the pine.

That punt return by Jones was a big hit, as was the BS fumble call on Crabtree and the BS holding call. Those kinds of things really frickin' pile up.
Originally posted by oregondave:
Just wanted to agree with Isaac sucking yesterday - he should be riding the pine.

That punt return by Jones was a big hit, as was the BS fumble call on Crabtree and the BS holding call. Those kinds of things really frickin' pile up.

he did fumble the ball. no BS there. Can't say the same for that holding call. That was horrible.
oh and alex taking that sack...after the delay of game penalty. It'll be good for him to keep playing and getting game experience so he can manage those situations...I'm so pumped he's getting a solid chance for once.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by oregondave:

he did fumble the ball. no BS there. Can't say the same for that holding call. That was horrible.

I don't know what you were looking at. His knee was down. Knee down, balll comes out. He was down. That call blew my mind.
Share 49ersWebzone