LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Thoughts on the Colts game (Jimmy Raye, Alex Smith, yada yada)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
AS - good, made some poor plays, but overal a good performance. His numbers are decieving... although I would like to see him start taking some shots down the field. Our are recievers even heading down there, or is that also gimped by our OC?

Jimmy Raye constantly puts us in third and long, and this is clear by our 3rd down completion percentage! 2/10 yesterday? Not really any better with Hill under center.

On D, where have our TOs gone? We didn't have any last game, and that was the killer since we turned it over twice.

Crabtree looked good again, but the guy needs to secure the friggin ball. I knew it was bad when he caught it and was swinging the ball around... in the wrong hand. I can't really blame him for the INT, since the pass was high, although he should have let it go, i dunno...
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I don't think Norv Turner will survive another season as Chargers head coach but I don't think Singletary will fire Raye after this season and im not so sure Norv would even take the 49ers OC job if it was offered.

Agreed. It would be nice though.
If Raye doesen't open it up a bit more and get more creative once Staley comes back, than we can say Jimmy Raye is the problem.

I think it's pretty apparent already that he's the problem. The O can move the ball when they want to. It makes no sense why you wouldn't want them doing that ALL game! If gore has more receiving yards than rushing, who gives a s**t as long as we're putting up points??? Hard headed old f**ker.
In the off-season the guy we need to go after is Logan Mankins from the Patriots (assuming they do not franchise him). Supposedly, the 9ers wanted to take him in the 2005 draft but the Patriots took him a spot ahead of us and we took David Baas. Mankins is a big, nasty offensive lineman that we needed who can run block, pass block and would bring an attitude that we lack on the O-Line. Then in the draft with hopefully a top 10 pick thanks to Carolina (that is no longer a lock) we take the big tackle from Oklahoma Trent Williams who is playing LT this year but was their right tackle the previous two years and I think he is more of a natural right tackle or the big, physical, nasty offensive lineman from Iowa, Bryan Bulaga who I think would be perfect for us at RT.

An offensive line of Joe Staley-Logan Mankins-Eric Heitman-Chilo Rachal-Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga: All of a sudden does not look that bad and hopefully with a new O-Line coach and I hope we start grooming someone to replace the overrated Eric Heitman and I don't think Cody Wallace is that guy.
I honestly think Raye is doing a good job. THIS OLINE STINKS (mainly the right side). I dont know if we need a new OL coach or new players (IMO....BOTH), but it needs to be addressed. We need to be able to run the ball. It will make things a lot easier on everyone.

Defensively...communication was key and they looked good. Franklin is looking like a Probowl NT. Really surprised by his play!!! Not too worried about the D. Looks like Sing heard my call bc he put younger legs in the line up (T Brown), which is needed cuz we are real slow on the back end. Feel bad for Nate, but his game has slipped this year.

I say keep everything in tacked except for OL coach. Maybe let Raye pick a guy of his or pluck someone from an established team with good a OL!!!! Eff all the procrastinating......Next years draft we need to pick up a top tier Tackle (if there is any?!) or pick one up from FA!!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Nov 2, 2009 at 08:09:04 ]
In the off-season the guy we need to go after is Logan Mankins from the Patriots (assuming they do not franchise him). Supposedly, the 9ers wanted to take him in the 2005 draft but the Patriots took him a spot ahead of us and we took David Baas. Mankins is a big, nasty offensive lineman that we needed who can run block, pass block and would bring an attitude that we lack on the O-Line. Then in the draft with hopefully a top 10 pick thanks to Carolina (that is no longer a lock) we take the big tackle from Oklahoma Trent Williams who is playing LT this year but was their right tackle the previous two years and I think he is more of a natural right tackle or the big, physical, nasty offensive lineman from Iowa, Bryan Bulaga who I think would be perfect for us at RT.

An offensive line of Joe Staley-Logan Mankins-Eric Heitman-Chilo Rachal-Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga: All of a sudden does not look that bad and hopefully with a new O-Line coach and I hope we start grooming someone to replace the overrated Eric Heitman and I don't think Cody Wallace is that guy.

I don't follow the Patriots all that much, but my brother is a Patriots fan and he is constantly complaining about how Matt Light and Logan Mankins and the two most overrated o-lineman in the NFL.

Don't know if he is right or wrong, I'm just saying.
It's hard for me to believe that anyone can be satisfied with Smith's performance yesterday.

He played 'OK'.

He didn't come through when it mattered.

Although I'm also quite upset with Issac Bruce for dropping half of the balls that hit him in the hands.

Please Coach Sing, deactivate Bruce, put Spurlock back as return man and start Nate Davis. If Davis sucks, then go back to Smith and focus on acquiring a good QB in the offseason.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
It's hard for me to believe that anyone can be satisfied with Smith's performance yesterday.

He played 'OK'.

Although I'm also quite upset with Issac Bruce for dropping half of the balls that hit him in the hands.

Please Coach Sing, deactivate Bruce, put Spurlock back as return man and start Nate Davis. If Davis sucks, then go back to Smith and focus on acquiring a good QB in the offseason.

That calls for a double facepalm!
horrible idea. Smith is doing far better than expected.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
I honestly think Raye is doing a good job. THIS OLINE STINKS (mainly the right side). I dont know if we need a new OL coach or new players (IMO....BOTH), but it needs to be addressed. We need to be able to run the ball. It will make things a lot easier on everyone.

Anyone ever heard of opening up the run by passing the ball? I think that's the kind of offense we have and need to start doing. It's something we used to do quite effectively.

Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

I don't follow the Patriots all that much, but my brother is a Patriots fan and he is constantly complaining about how Matt Light and Logan Mankins and the two most overrated o-lineman in the NFL.

Don't know if he is right or wrong, I'm just saying.

When I watch the Patriots I see Tom Brady with a ton of time and when they do run the ball, they run it behind their left side. I think Logan Mankins is their best offensive lineman and I think a lot of people would agree.

Defensively...communication was key and they looked good. Franklin is looking like a Probowl NT. Really surprised by his play!!! Not too worried about the D. Looks like Sing heard my call bc he put younger legs in the line up (T Brown), which is needed cuz we are real slow on the back end. Feel bad for Nate, but his game has slipped this year.

I say keep everything in tacked except for OL coach. Maybe let Raye pick a guy of his or pluck someone from an established team with good a OL!!!! Eff all the procrastinating......Next years draft we need to pick up a top tier Tackle (if there is any?!) or pick one up from FA!!!!

Yeah Franklin is going to want pro bowl money to and we will probably pay him and then watch next year he will go back to being average.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:

He played 'OK'.

Ummm no. Alex Smith is doing fine and Nate Davis is not ready to start games in the NFL. I do agree with you about Spurlock, he should have been our return man when we benched Rossum.
Originally posted by MBniner:

Anyone ever heard of opening up the run by passing the ball? I think that's the kind of offense we have and need to start doing. It's something we used to do quite effectively.

Sure! But its hard to do that when the OL is INCONSISTENT.
I don't think Norv Turner will survive another season as Chargers head coach but I don't think Singletary will fire Raye after this season and im not so sure Norv would even take the 49ers OC job if it was offered.

NO MORE NORV! F*** me once, shame on you . . .
Share 49ersWebzone