Singletary's Postgame Presser

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fire this moron. The offense looked sharp? lol
  • dj43
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
1. Alex missed on at least 3 passes he should have completed
Actually he missed on four. He also had four easy catches dropped. Turn around half of those and the team wins.

Who do you want to blame for the loss? The drops, or the missed passes?

The playcalling.
You ducked the question.

However, my point was, that this team is not good enough to beat a top team in the league unless ALL of the mistakes are eliminated. In this case, QBs are always going to miss receivers. Peyton missed 7 passes by my count.

Receivers also dropped four passes they should have held. None were as difficult as the high throw to Crabtree that was tipped.

Yes, the play calling is terrible but if you start a post by noting Smith's missed passes, you must also be fair in noting the times receivers let him down by dropping easy catches. Give him back those four drops and his rating is higher than Peyton's.

I'll catch up to the play-calling in the Raye thread.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Wah, wah, wah.......What a bunch of whiners. We just about beat a 7-0 team, and you guys are whining about it. Sorry kids, things just don't happen overnite.

Forgot to look at the bright side. We held one of the best QBs in NFL history to no touchdowns. We made him look "normal and confused". They got a touchdown on
a play that no one would have schemed for. Yes, they marched down the field, but we held them to 3 points four times.

On offense we have play makers now, but let's b***h about play calling. Yes, our O-line is abysmal, but that can and will be fixed. It may not happen this year (sorry for those of you who grew up in the age of instant gratification) but the future looks better to me than it has in many years.

Pretty much. People act like you can reach over to some shelf and pull what you need coaching and talent wise off of it.

News flash people: Put down the Madden, put away the fantasy foosball game, there are 32 teams who would all love to have that non-existent magical grocery shelf that you are deluded about.

This would be a good argument about 2-3 years ago, but your argument is starting to get reallllllll reall old.

No one is aasking for a miracle, sh*t i dont even play madden, i think everyone is talking about some sort of consistency/identity/relevance on offense in San Francisco. We have just been too sh*tty for too long on offense, its unhealthy dude. And now, the reason why everyone is b*tching even more IMO, is because we have the weapons to be good, really good. Our offensive coaches clearly dont know what they're doing, they cant even get the f*cking play in the huddle.

Well, let me splain this to you so even a two year can understand it: The biggest travesty of the Nowin era was the inability to field an effective o-line. That is not something that is fixed on a whim. Now, you are flat ass wrong about having the weapons to be "good, really good" as you say. Last I checked, our o'line sucks, really sucks, and has sucked for several years. How you figure we have weapons to be good, yet alone real good, while our o-line sucks, is beyond me. Last I checked, an offense needs an o-line to function worth a s**t, regrdless of paly calling, coaching, other personnel. Starting to see the connection yet? Or maybe you missed that part about our o-line sucking? Maybe you missed those two big third conversion opportunities yesterday where Smith had his ass handed to him by the pass rush? Maybe you missed that year's long pattern of o-line suck?

[ Edited by Blitz on Nov 2, 2009 at 09:03:55 ]
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

He said 'the offense, for the most part, looked sharp' It's not the endorsement people are making it out to be. Overblown as usual in NinerTalk. And I would not want it any other way
  • dj43
Originally posted by Pedro61:
Baltien, all good points.

I'm with valerod on page 1. We are improving.........

It's not all about x's and o's. At the Ravens, Nolan was one of 'the' x's and o's top dogs in the league............he's proven at Denver he still is. How did that help us?

Manusky and the D are improving.........Sings is doing his job. The O is struggling, but Raye wasnt anyone's first choice. We're improving this year, we are still a way from being a legit contender though. For now i'll stick with some continual improvement, and give it a year or two we'll have a couple of better OL, the rest of the OL will have developed, we will have an elite pass rusher, and then we'll be a lot more attractive to great OC's........

We're going in the right direction. Jumping on the bandwagon for an ex HC/Niner who is available is crazy.......

..........but Shanahan? really?

Let's get hooked up with Holmgren!!!!!
Both Shanahan and Holmgren showed they had lost a lot of their luster in the past five years. They both lost their teams confidence and had no response when things went bad. Perhaps time off will re-charge their batteries but for now, I don't care for either of them.

That having been said, the role of the HC is to focus the team, motivate them, encourage them, and organize practices and game plans. It is up to the OC and DC to put in the details. Manusky is showing definite progress as well as some creativity with the "magic" alignment. Raye, OTOH, has show no ability to adapt or create. He was the third choice (at least) as OC, and he is proving why he was that low. It will now be up to Singletary to get Raye try to get some variety and a better mix of plays into the offense. I'm hopeful but not optimistic. He is what we thought he was.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Nuns:
Isaac Bruce was killing me. He dropped at least 2 very catchable balls, and the worst part was that he looked like he wasn't trying.
Don't leave Vernon Davis out of the blame game. He dropped an easy throw, failed to even attempt to drag his left foot on an easy sideline manuever, and then led the endzone celebration that allowed Indy field position to drive for a field goal at the end of the first half. This was the "old" Vernon Davis re-surfacing to hurt the team instead of help it. A mature captain would not have allowed the endzone celebration. This team is not good enough to overcome brain farts like that.
Wah, wah, wah.......What a bunch of whiners. We just about beat a 7-0 team, and you guys are whining about it. Sorry kids, things just don't happen overnite.

Forgot to look at the bright side. We held one of the best QBs in NFL history to no touchdowns. We made him look "normal and confused". They got a touchdown on
a play that no one would have schemed for. Yes, they marched down the field, but we held them to 3 points four times.

On offense we have play makers now, but let's b***h about play calling. Yes, our O-line is abysmal, but that can and will be fixed. It may not happen this year (sorry for those of you who grew up in the age of instant gratification) but the future looks better to me than it has in many years.

Pretty much. People act like you can reach over to some shelf and pull what you need coaching and talent wise off of it.

News flash people: Put down the Madden, put away the fantasy foosball game, there are 32 teams who would all love to have that non-existent magical grocery shelf that you are deluded about.

This would be a good argument about 2-3 years ago, but your argument is starting to get reallllllll reall old.

No one is aasking for a miracle, sh*t i dont even play madden, i think everyone is talking about some sort of consistency/identity/relevance on offense in San Francisco. We have just been too sh*tty for too long on offense, its unhealthy dude. And now, the reason why everyone is b*tching even more IMO, is because we have the weapons to be good, really good. Our offensive coaches clearly dont know what they're doing, they cant even get the f*cking play in the huddle.

Well, let me splain this to you so even a two year can understand it: The biggest travesty of the Nowin era was the inability to field an effective o-line. That is not something that is fixed on a whim. Now, you are flat ass wrong about having the weapons to be "good, really good" as you say. Last I checked, our o'line sucks, really sucks, and has sucked for several years. How you figure we have weapons to be good, yet alone real good, while our o-line sucks, is beyond me. Last I checked, an offense needs an o-line to function worth a s**t, regrdless of paly calling, coaching, other personnel. Starting to see the connection yet? Or maybe you missed that part about our o-line sucking? Maybe you missed those two big third conversion opportunities yesterday where Smith had his ass handed to him by the pass rush? Maybe you missed that year's long pattern of o-line suck?

maybe you missed the part where we scored 3 touchdowns pretty easily in one half against the texans with this SAME Oline-when the playcalling actually allowed for Alex to open it up.

maybe you missed the part when Frank Gore had 1700 yards, and our O line was pretty fkn good under Nolan

maybe you missed the greatest travesty of the Nowin era which was his inability to field A GOOD QUARTERBACK. ROOKIE SMITH, JT OSULLIVAN, RATTAY, WEINKE, SHAUN HILL, DILFER, DORSEY, PICKETT. if you put Cody Pickett behind the Vikings O line, he would still suck d*ck. same goes for all of those other slouches Nolan had.

Our o line is good ENOUGH, they around GREAT, but with the correct play calling could give alex enough time to find our weapons (TEXANS SECOND HALF), and make plays. if you disagree, then thats your opinion, so dont give me your condescending BS.

maybe you missed the part where we scored 3 touchdowns pretty easily in one half against the texans with this SAME Oline-when the playcalling actually allowed for Alex to open it up.

maybe you missed the part when Frank Gore had 1700 yards, and our O line was pretty fkn good under Nolan

maybe you missed the greatest travesty of the Nowin era which was his inability to field A GOOD QUARTERBACK. ROOKIE SMITH, JT OSULLIVAN, RATTAY, WEINKE, SHAUN HILL, DILFER, DORSEY, PICKETT. if you put Cody Pickett behind the Vikings O line, he would still suck d*ck. same goes for all of those other slouches Nolan had.

Our o line is good ENOUGH, they around GREAT, but with the correct play calling could give alex enough time to find our weapons (TEXANS SECOND HALF), and make plays. if you disagree, then thats your opinion, so dont give me your condescending BS.

WOOW!!! Our O-line is around great??? Can I have some of what you are smoking?

Maybe you missed the part about it being the Texans, and not the Colts...

Maybe you missed the part about having Larry Allen and a healthy Jonas Jennings on the left side...

Maybe you missed the part about telling people you don't want condescending BS in a post full of condescending BS...

Just thought I'd try and steer the discussion back towards a rational direction
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
LMAO Dynastychile,

You must have missed the part where Smith missed the last two years of football, how did that happen anyway? You must have missed the part where we had to pull a QB off the street too. You must have missed the part where the o-line that blocked for Gore's 1600 yards, the line that was 3 yea's ago is obviously not the same o-line as the last three? You must have missed the part where the o-line gave Smith some protection in the second half last week...but are trying to ignore ALL the other games, over a tow and half year period, where they sucked it up bad? That is f**king comical, you are basing your assessment on one half of one game of play, while ignoring two and half full years of general o-line suckiness? f**king comical.

Regardless, this convo is about f**king useless, everybody and their f**king brother in the zone here knows this o-line sucks ass. There's really no need to debate it, it's become that well worn. If you can't see that suck, more power to you.

[ Edited by Blitz on Nov 2, 2009 at 09:35:43 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

Maybe you missed the part about having Larry Allen and a healthy Jonas Jennings on the left side...

Maybe you missed the part about telling people you don't want condescending BS in a post full of condescending BS...

Yeah I'd like to have some of the s**t to smoke too. We wouyld be heading to the super bowl about now.

Damn mike sounds like mike nolon
  • dj43
I'd like to steer this OL portion of the conversation back to coaching:

There is an interesting parallel between Alex Smith before having Mike Johnson as his position coach and now...between Alex Smith and when he is allowed to open it up from the shotgun spread formation and the "impose our will, run up the gut" nonsense that is plaguing this offense, AND the play of the offensive line.

My point is that the design of the current offense, both in terms of the style and the blending of plays, is such that the OL must be almost flawless in order for things to work. Since I don't see the Cowboys line of the '90s out there, where they COULD impose their will anytime they want, I am going to suggest that if Raye would spread the running game wider with cutbacks, stretch plays and pitch out, the OL would begin to get better angles and make more effective blocks. Also, as you mix in more run looks, mix in more passing formations as well so the defense can't sit back in the same basic sets as it is now.

So like Alex, if the OL were given more opportunities to do what they can do well, the results would be much better.

Just a thought, you know?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

The future may look bright, but a few of us would like to something along the lines of an NFL caliber offense that attacks instead being ultra conservative. Some of us would like to see the 49ers actually win some more games this season.

And why the hell are you talking about instant gratification? This team hasn't done diddly poo in 7 years? Every year the future looks brighter than previous years, but every year the light gets dimmer and dimmer round about midseason.

Just ask yourself one question. Would you rather be discussing this in '05 and where we were at or now. How do you think the prevoius Niner teams would have played against the Colts? Do you think we have improved over the past two years.
Would you rather have Vernon Davis, Crabtree and Morgan, or were you satisfied with Darrel Jackson and a few other castoffs from other teams.

Would you rather loose 18-14 with a defense that completely mystified one of the
best QBs in history or would your rather have a Dennis Erickson coached NFL defense? Do you think you can waive a magic wand and everything changes over night or do you have to build a winning franchise.

If you want the former, then just "twang your magic twanger Mr. Froggy" and everything will be fine until you turn off Madden.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:

Yeah I'd like to have some of the s**t to smoke too. We wouyld be heading to the super bowl about now.

clearly it was a misprint when our said our Oline is great..Does they around great sound like a statement? either way, our O line isn't as bad as it is playing right now. Our entire offense isnt as bad as it is playing right now, thats my point.

Watch Raye leave, and things start turning around. Actually, when Alex Smith came in people said "the O line is blocking better for Alex". no. its that we actually have someone with an arm, now we need someone who can call plays. People are gonna be coming up w the excuse "THE O LINE IS BLOCKING BETTER FOR (our next OC when Raye is fired)
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Awesome! When we fire him, will you be our next coach?! Please?!
Share 49ersWebzone