LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

N. Clements might be out for season..fractured shoulder blade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i always thought for this game he got chosen to be a 3rd/4th cb to match up against dallas clark which would have helped on the last drive.

[ Edited by keeferr75 on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:57:32 ]
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I think we will cut him next year. Brown started the game yesterday, Nate started as the #4 CB. I think Brown has better coverage skills right now.

You cannot possibly be serious.

He is due like 6 million next year. If the DB's (Spencer and Brown) play well while Nate is out, there is no reason to be paying a guy that much money to be the 3rd or 4th CB. He was the 4th CB going into yesterdays game.

He's the best all-around cornerback on the team. You don't just cut the guy because he's making $6 million next year. That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. No one here is comfortable with Spencer and Brown as our starting corners next year.
That is how the NFL works. Even MM stated that he thinks Nate will be cut if Brown and Spencer keep playing well. Spencer has been better than Nate this year.

No MM stated this:

Quote:
If Clements is out for the year, the 49ers will have a difficult decision to make. He is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary next season. If the team determines that is more than they're willing to pay for his services, their options are to release him or ask him to accept a pay reduction.

Spencer has played well, but also had a mental lapse in giving up the touchdown that cost the 49ers the game yesterday. I'm not comfortable putting out Brown (limited experience) and Spencer (his first good season since being a 49er) as our corners.

Clements' demotion was being looked at as a one game thing because he is better at being physical and matching up with bigger and stronger receivers. I don't think it's any secret that Spencer and Hudson are probably faster than Clements at this stage in his career.

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:54:19 ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think we will cut him next year. Brown started the game yesterday, Nate started as the #4 CB. I think Brown has better coverage skills right now.

He is due like 6 million next year. If the DB's (Spencer and Brown) play well while Nate is out, there is no reason to be paying a guy that much money to be the 3rd or 4th CB. He was the 4th CB going into yesterdays game.

He's the best all-around cornerback on the team. You don't just cut the guy because he's making $6 million next year. That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. No one here is comfortable with Spencer and Brown as our starting corners next year.
That is how the NFL works. Even MM stated that he thinks Nate will be cut if Brown and Spencer keep playing well. Spencer has been better than Nate this year.

No MM stated this:

Quote:
If Clements is out for the year, the 49ers will have a difficult decision to make. He is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary next season. If the team determines that is more than they're willing to pay for his services, their options are to release him or ask him to accept a pay reduction.

Spencer has played well, but also had a mental lapse in giving up the touchdown that cost the 49ers the game yesterday. I'm not comfortable putting out Brown (limited experience) and Spencer (his first good season since being a 49er) as our corners.

Clements' demotion was being looked at as a one game thing because he is better at being physical and matching up with bigger and stronger receivers. I don't think it's any secret that Spencer and Hudson are probably faster than Clements at this stage in his career.
Sure. Go look at the Dallas tape from last year. Nate is good, but he shouldn't be the highest paid player on the team when we have other needs. We can get a better CB than Nate at a way better price.
  • TFSP
Well when he comes back, I hope he'll play Free Safety and Dash G will play SS. Nate will be a better FS than he will be a corner for his next 5 years. He should sit back on the side lines and learn the position, if he's going to be out for the remainder of the year. AND if he's willing to take a pay cut, that's another reason I would want him on the team. It would show how much he wants to win with Da9ers!
looks like it might only be 2 games.... THANK GOD!!!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/news/view.php?id=23015
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Afrikan:

How can he come back in 2 weeks when it took Jones 6 weeks.

No MM stated this:

Quote:

Sure. Go look at the Dallas tape from last year. Nate is good, but he shouldn't be the highest paid player on the team when we have other needs. We can get a better CB than Nate at a way better price.

Um, he's not this year:

74 LT Joe Staley $13,500,000 $460,000 $13,040,000 2017
94 DE Justin Smith $10,583,333 $3,500,000 $7,083,333 2013
21 RB Frank Gore $6,483,000 $2,500,000 $3,983,000 2011/2010
98 OLB Parys Haralson $5,800,000 $880,000 $4,920,000 2013
22 CB/PR Nate Clements $5,683,332 $3,516,666 $2,166,666 2013

You have to overpay in free agency for good cornerbacks because they don't really come around a whole hell of a lot.
MM just reported on KNBR - Clements out 6-8 weeks.

T. Brown it's your time!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

How can he come back in 2 weeks when it took Jones 6 weeks.

motivation!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Per Matt Maiocco: Bad news for 49ers: Joe Staley will be out 6 weeks with sprains to MCL and PCL in right knee; Clements out 6-8 weeks with broken scapula.

Share 49ersWebzone