LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

Tarell Brown will start against Indy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Clements is not the $80 million dollar man. The last two years of his contract are worth $36 million dollars. So he is actually the 6 yr, $44 million dollar man, which is about right for an above-average CB in the ever-inflating NFL.

Call it what it is.
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Clements is on the way out. I called this as soon Brown was given the extension.

I called the Rossum release and now this. You people really need to start listening to what I say because it usually comes true. Im like the Nostradamus of the webzone. haha

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=132413&highlight=susweel

Lol, Clements is not on the way out, he's had some very good games, only bad game he had was against ATL, and a bad play or two against the Vikings.

This is more of a strategic move than anything else.

When you have to demoted your 80 million dollar CB as "defensive strategy" then that means there is serious problem.

Wow! All I can say is wow!

Yes, a serious problem indeed. When you make a guy the highest paid defensive player in the history of the game, you expect him to play every down, every game. If he doesn't match up as well as Brown, then Clements hasn't lived up to expectations as a stud CB.

I love Clements's physical style of play. I think he's had a couple of underachieving performances this year, mainly the Falcons game.

I am shocked by this turn of events. I would have been far less surprised if he started opposite Clements in place of Spencer, but this has me floored. Wow.

Oh well. I'd like to see Clements try some punt and kick returns if he's not gonna start.

In place of Spencer would've been a bigger surprise IMO. Spencer has been our best cover CB this season, easily out playing Clements week in and out. Spencer has played really well this year and I doubt anyone was expecting it.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'm just more surprised we announced it.

i don't either

I don't understand this about Singletary......when talking about Rachel, one comment and that is it...doesn't get more into it....and he does this alot where he shuts down any info about players or playing time or even team strategy...

but then you have things like this right here.....i'm no coach.....is there any negative reason that would have happened if we kept this news to ourselves.... I don't think so.... I believe the Colts would have had to adjust during the game....

they probably thought that Manny or Roman was going to cover Dallas Clark...
I'm going to take a quick guess and say that he plays really damn well Sunday, almost better than Clements has the entire season at LCB... but gets injured before the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Clements is on the way out. I called this as soon Brown was given the extension.

I called the Rossum release and now this. You people really need to start listening to what I say because it usually comes true. Im like the Nostradamus of the webzone. haha

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=132413&highlight=susweel

Lol, Clements is not on the way out, he's had some very good games, only bad game he had was against ATL, and a bad play or two against the Vikings.

This is more of a strategic move than anything else.

When you have to demoted your 80 million dollar CB as "defensive strategy" then that means there is serious problem.

Wow! All I can say is wow!

Yes, a serious problem indeed. When you make a guy the highest paid defensive player in the history of the game, you expect him to play every down, every game. If he doesn't match up as well as Brown, then Clements hasn't lived up to expectations as a stud CB.

I love Clements's physical style of play. I think he's had a couple of underachieving performances this year, mainly the Falcons game.

I am shocked by this turn of events. I would have been far less surprised if he started opposite Clements in place of Spencer, but this has me floored. Wow.

Oh well. I'd like to see Clements try some punt and kick returns if he's not gonna start.

In place of Spencer would've been a bigger surprise IMO. Spencer has been our best cover CB this season, easily out playing Clements week in and out. Spencer has played really well this year and I doubt anyone was expecting it.

Originally posted by Afrikan:

i don't either

I don't understand this about Singletary......when talking about Rachel, one comment and that is it...doesn't get more into it....and he does this alot where he shuts down any info about players or playing time or even team strategy...

but then you have things like this right here.....i'm no coach.....is there any negative reason that would have happened if we kept this news to ourselves.... I don't think so.... I believe the Colts would have had to adjust during the game....

they probably thought that Manny or Roman was going to cover Dallas Clark...

i feel ya, but still, this info came out the day before the game--it wasn't really officially announced at a conference or anything--so I don't think the Colts will have that much time to prepare anyway.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I'm going to take a quick guess and say that he plays really damn well Sunday, almost better than Clements has the entire season at LCB... but gets injured before the 4th quarter.

now why would you throw that in there?
Originally posted by Winners:
Ok, for everyone out here saying this is some sort of a defensive strategy, then why isn't our defensive strategy to put our best CB on their best WR? Yeah, Clark is good and all, but Wayne is way better, way more dangerous. If Brown is good enough to start why isn't he good enough to cover Clark???

I'm a total homer, but this and the Rossum cut really have me shaking my head. I even think Jimmy Raye is doing a good job and that we'll make the playoffs.

Wayne rarely lines up on the right side, he's always on the left side. Clements always lines up against the WR on the right side of the field.

You don't go from shutting down AJ to getting benched against Austin Collie...yes, this is a defensive strategy.

Also, CB's don't cover TE's, if they do, somebody missed an assignment or it's a terrible play play call. It's the LB's and Saftey's job to cover TE's.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by Esco:
If anything this means Dre Bly is being benched and won't see much action?

I'm sure he'll see a lot of time in this game with that offense.

So you think we will be going with 4 cornerbacks a lot? I think maybe some but not a lot.

Depends on how R Smith is, I think if his groin is finally better he may see the field a bit.

Reggie Smith is an afterthought on this team (for the coaches). Even if he is healthy I doubt he even dresses let alone plays.
Originally posted by Winners:
Ok, for everyone out here saying this is some sort of a defensive strategy, then why isn't our defensive strategy to put our best CB on their best WR? Yeah, Clark is good and all, but Wayne is way better, way more dangerous. If Brown is good enough to start why isn't he good enough to cover Clark???

I'm a total homer, but this and the Rossum cut really have me shaking my head. I even think Jimmy Raye is doing a good job and that we'll make the playoffs.

Wayne rarely lines up on the right side, he's always on the left side. Clements always lines up against the WR on the right side of the field.

You don't go from shutting down AJ to getting benched against Austin Collie...yes, this is a defensive strategy.

Also, CB's don't cover TE's, if they do, somebody missed an assignment or it's a terrible play play call. It's the LB's and Saftey's job to cover TE's.

CBs don't normally cover TEs, you're right. But Clark lines up in the slot ALOT, thus allowing us the chance to cover him with a physical CB like Nate. I like the match-up, should be interesting. [/b]

Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm sure Nate will be covering Dallas Clark, which is a pretty tough task for anyone... Also, I'm sure the other wideout opposite Wayne will be a smaller quick guy like Garcon, which might be a better matchup for Brown.

Yeah, I'm thinking along these lines too. Here's a possible man-coverage scenario when the Colts come out with three wide receivers, one tight end and a tailback:

Wayne vs Spencer
Wayne--the Colts' best receiver--is coming off an injury, so even though Clements is better than Spencer, the injury to Wayne could allow Spencer to hold the fort.

Garcon vs Brown
Like dhp318 said, the guy opposite Wayne will be a shifty, quick receiver--most probably Garcon--and Brown might be well-suited to handle that job.

Collie vs Bly
Bly could handle the third receiver--premature celebrations aside.

Clark vs Clements
A healthy Clark is probably more threatening than an injured Wayne, so sticking our best coverage guy--Clements--on Clark could be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

Thats the way I see it
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm sure Nate will be covering Dallas Clark, which is a pretty tough task for anyone... Also, I'm sure the other wideout opposite Wayne will be a smaller quick guy like Garcon, which might be a better matchup for Brown.

Yeah, I'm thinking along these lines too. Here's a possible man-coverage scenario when the Colts come out with three wide receivers, one tight end and a tailback:

Wayne vs Spencer
Wayne--the Colts' best receiver--is coming off an injury, so even though Clements is better than Spencer, the injury to Wayne could allow Spencer to hold the fort.

Garcon vs Brown
Like dhp318 said, the guy opposite Wayne will be a shifty, quick receiver--most probably Garcon--and Brown might be well-suited to handle that job.

Collie vs Bly
Bly could handle the third receiver--premature celebrations aside.

Clark vs Clements
A healthy Clark is probably more threatening than an injured Wayne, so sticking our best coverage guy--Clements--on Clark could be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

Thats the way I see it

I agree they want Clements to be on the field just about every play, I don't really see this as a drop in the depth chart for him. This is just a move to try and handle the Colt's insane passing attack and that includes not having a linebacker cover Clark.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

There basically telling him to get his s**t together or else. This is Sing's way of motivating him.
The more I think about the more I like this move. Dallas Clark is the Colts best and most important WR and Clements has the size to matchup against a tight end and he can cover Clark who runs routes and catches like a pro bowl WR. Spencer I think matchups well vs Wayne, Brown has the quickness to run with Garcone and Bly will be on Collie who sees a lot of action.
one week demotion
Share 49ersWebzone