New qb same offense...I don't get Jimmy raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Bottom line is Smith now has playmakers. And he can make the best out of the play makers we have and they bring the best out in him. No more Johnny Morton, Lloyd, Fleck, DJack, etc etc and all the other losers we've fielded and expected him to put up pro bowl numbers.

Thinking of those players makes me wanna throw up.

Don't forget Gilmore, Sully's dream WR

And that guy from San Diego..cant remember his name

Curtis Conway
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
The word Raye and offensive genius won't ever be used together and I'm no means implying that he hasn't made some bad calls but I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt as what he was working wouldn't be consider stellar.

I mean you had a QB that can't pass, a line that can't block for him, and because of that we have no running game since that's the only thing that a defense has to stop. So exactly what plays do you call? I doubt he said "Hey Rachel on this pass play I just want you to completely beat by your man" or "Shaun I know I have 3 WR but they are just decoys so just dump it off to the RB for a 3 yard gain"

So since we have a QB that has an NFL arm and better at avoiding pressure I'm willing to give him a clean slate and see what he does with Smith in there. I mean he did call the plays that got Smith his 200 yards and 3 TDs so I don't think he's incapable of calling for the forward pass.

I don't understand why you give Raye a break for Hill and the OL. You scheme toward your strengths and away from your weaknesses. A weak-armed QB and a poor pass blocking OL calls for more of a west coast offense, (ie 3 step drops and slants--no matter what the terminology ie digit system) and I didn't see it. I've only seen the games on TV this year, so have limited info. I had been waiting all year for VD to run a slant. I can't believe Raye never called one.

Originally posted by ads_2006:
I remember reading (in one of Matt M;s article) the jimmy raye offense relied on power running and passes down the field.

Hill couldnt pass down the field and Alex can, maybe Rayes playbook opened up because we have a qb that can complete throws.

We ran alot of short patterns with Hill because of his inability to get the ball downfield. With 8 guys in the box, thats a lot of humanity to sort through when attempting short passes (crossing routes, routes across middle)
I don't understand where the assumption came from that Raye's play calling changed with Smith in the lineup. Greater success yes. I'm no expert, but I could not see a difference in the play calling and the formation info does not show any great change either.
Its called not exposing your gameplan genius
But honestly, things will change because Alex can deliver throws that Shaun could not. He offers more mobility, a stronger arm, and potentially better accuracy. Besides, atleast Alex doesn't look like he's throwing a shot put out there!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Those fans expecting a more wide open attack against Indianapolis, might be disappointed. When Jimmy Raye stepped to the microphone today, I asked him if his offense would change with Smith under center. "None," was Raye's response. Tim Kawakami followed with, "Are you serious? Do you mean that quarterbacks of differing talents don't change the offense at all?" Raye: "No."

LOL. Rachal still starting. We're going to run the same offense.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Not sure that your criticism is valid here.

Seems, to me, that Raye was just answering the question.

He's still gonna run the same offense, the one that he brought with him. You know, the one with the numbered routes for WRs. . . the "Norv Turner" offense, descended from Air Coryell, or whatever. In other words, we're not changing to a WCO this week, or a Run & Shoot, or a Wishbone, or whatever.

Doesn't mean its gonna run exactly the same way, or look the same, with Smith in for Hill, but its still the same offense. That should seem pretty obvious, even to someone like Kawakami. Isn't it?

As far as Rachal starting, seems like he's the most talented guy they've got at that position for now. Presumably, they're addressing his problem with the stunt where he keeps getting beat. Looks like they don't have any other option, this week at least. Doesn't necessarily make anyone "insane," does it?
It will change because Smith will throw the ball deep so Raye will get more comfortable calling an aggressive gameplan!
Originally posted by znk916:

I just s**t all over my balls TWICE!
I can' wait to see Smith throw a 50-60yrd pass to Morgan or Crabtree...

Also, of course Raye is going to say the offense won't change. He's not going to come out and say "yes, we are going to run the spread offense, move smith around to get away from the colts great pass rush". That would be just stupid.
oh come on, use your head. what do you expect raye to say? "oh yea, with smith in the game expect to see more play action, boot legs, more 3 wr sets" COME ON.. that question he was asked was LOADED. if he answered it the colts would know the game plan. raye said in the beginning of the season, he will taylor this team around its talent. so, yes, the game plan will change. but no, he will not broadcast it before a huge game against indi. a game that the colts really dont know what to expect from smith. so, i agree with raye. say "same ol same ol."

Originally posted by stevenking57:
All I know is that in the second half of last week's game we threw the ball down the field a lot more. I have a VERY hard time believing that Raye called the same plays with Smith in the game the second half. I wonder if Sing and Raye live in the same world that the rest of us. They spend the first third of the season pounding Gore and Coffee between the tackles earning us what? We rank almost last in rushing in the NFL. Smith gets his chance and puts the ball down the field for an almost come from behind victory and now Raye says nothing is changing? If we run the same offense that we ran with Hill, then Raye needs to coach at a retirement home and Sing needs to be the guy who empties the bed pans

All reports indicate that it was the same offense. Looks a little different when the quarterback gets the ball out of his hands doesn't it?

Hills "game manager" moniker was bulls**t from day one. How about a QB that can move the chains and make plays? Is that too old fashioned?
This whole time we've been criticizing Raye and we should have been criticizing Hill.
Raye's offense has gone from playing a game of "Duck Hunt" to playing "House of the Dead," with Smith in.

The offense doesn't need to change, just need parts that can do more than throw check-downs.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Those fans expecting a more wide open attack against Indianapolis, might be disappointed. When Jimmy Raye stepped to the microphone today, I asked him if his offense would change with Smith under center. "None," was Raye's response. Tim Kawakami followed with, "Are you serious? Do you mean that quarterbacks of differing talents don't change the offense at all?" Raye: "No."

LOL. Rachal still starting. We're going to run the same offense.

Insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

I you don't change anything IF you are a true believer. Pass me the Koolaide Rev. Jones..

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mando1988:
So it appears as if the niners are going to keep the same approach on offense...so much for spreading it out!!! How long will it take until they figure out that the smash mouth running game isint working for them!

It just looked like a different offense because Smith was able to get the ball to the WR's

This right here, they are same plays, Smith just made the throws where Shaun couldn't. It is simple as that, just accept that Hill is not as good as Smith at getting the ball down the field. MM broke it down on his blog and dispelled the myth that we went to a spread offense, it just looked like it because Smith can make NFL throws and Hill can't.
Share 49ersWebzone