There are 263 users in the forums

Urban Meyer's famous quote on Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
okay, so now no more excuses right? He's had time to learn and recover from his shoulder injury.

Thats right. If he fails now we can say he was a bust and move on. I hope he plays like the #1 player taken in the draft.

thats how i feel and i started to bandwagon thread

Same here.

But just think about this for a second. Jim Hostler was once his QB coach and OC.

-9fA
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by wolfpack219:
So now the question is why was he so fluent in his play on Sunday? Was it because he knows how the NFL is? Because he now knows a new system for 2009? Is Rayes system very similar to his successful season in 07? I personally think it is because he is older and more mature plus he knows the speed on the NFL now. JMO.

We THREW the football most of the time.

Alex is most comfortable in a throwing offense.

NOT a 50/50 offense, but a THROWING offense.

Every time we throw the ball at least 70/30, good things seem to happen.

Of course, this does not include the "injured Alex" days.

So we had a THROWING offense

his 2nd season? I don't think so

Just heard Steve Young say he thinks Alex may be a late bloomer and he thought so when we drafted him. Also said he thought Alex needed to get comfy in a system(or maybe a system guy) and now he's ready to go.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We THREW the football most of the time.

Alex is most comfortable in a throwing offense.

NOT a 50/50 offense, but a THROWING offense.

Every time we throw the ball at least 70/30, good things seem to happen.

When was the last time that happened?
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We managed him the wrong way. NoWIN did. Urban Meyer told us exactly what to do.

~ Keep the same offensive coordinator.
~ Keep the same system.
~ Let Alex learn on the bench for a while until he knows everything.
~ Don't throw him to the wolves before he is ready.

And what did we do?

I agree we handled it the wrong way but this happens with every rookie QB and every team.

I think Rodgers was lucky he didn't come into the situation Smith did.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
okay, so now no more excuses right? He's had time to learn and recover from his shoulder injury.

Thats right. If he fails now we can say he was a bust and move on. I hope he plays like the #1 player taken in the draft.

Same here.

But just think about this for a second. Jim Hostler was once his QB coach and OC.

-9fA

Hostler played DB at a small college. Nice choice for a QB coach.
[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We managed him the wrong way. NoWIN did. Urban Meyer told us exactly what to do.

~ Keep the same offensive coordinator.
~ Keep the same system.
~ Let Alex learn on the bench for a while until he knows everything.
~ Don't throw him to the wolves before he is ready.

And what did we do?

Not really our front offices fault though. McCarthy and Turner got promoted, and Hostler was in over his head. After Hostler's season the front office pretty much gave up on Alex.

I don't think Scotty has ever given up on Smith.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Same here.

-9fA

Hostler played DB at a small college. Nice choice for a QB coach.

that s**t is still so mind boggling to me how the hell do you hire a db to become a qb coach, especially when you had at the time such a raw young qb you picked 1st overall. nolan did everything he couldve to kill alex's career
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Just heard Steve Young say he thinks Alex may be a late bloomer and he thought so when we drafted him. Also said he thought Alex needed to get comfy in a system(or maybe a system guy) and now he's ready to go.

young was a late bloomer too, he should know.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by DJD:
"Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

And the good thing is, it only takes like 20 minutes to learn all of Jimmy Raye's playbook!

took Crabtree less i think

look folks, im a die hard niner fan, and i want smith to succeed, and i want my team in the playoffs, BUT

i think we're jumping the gun here, judging alex smith on half-a-football game where the defense was playing a soft, prevent style defense for most of that half.

I think his true test will be when he comes home to play the titans, he'll get a free pass from of us this week, just because of the matchup, but if he fails to produce againts the titans and their 32nd rank pass defense, THEN WE SHOULD ALL AGREE HE"S A BUST and move on...
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
"Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

And the good thing is, it only takes like 20 minutes to learn all of Jimmy Raye's playbook!

Not to hard when his playbook is on a 3X5 card
I hate Mike Nolan so much
Originally posted by backontop:

I say a 2x4 card
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by backontop:

I say a 2x4 card

is there even such a thing
Share 49ersWebzone