LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Looking back, Crabtree or an Offensive Lineman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm glad we grabbed Crabtree, but Michael Oher is looking like a steal at #23

Yeah I wouldn't have minded trading up for him while he was falling.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
A playmaking, Number 1 WR, who clearly the best player on the board, and no doubt was a top 5 talent, or a RT?

Is this even an argument?

You were calling for this pick very early on weren't you? Didn't you suggest the Niners try to trade up and get him? It's early, but this just might become a very memorable pick.

I did suggest back in March that if it took moving up a few slots to pick him, then don't blink: burn that third rounder. It is not like our third rounders have done anything in the league since Frank Gore.

As the draft moved into its final days, I did project Crabtree would fall to the Niners at 10, so a trade wouldn't be necessary, unless they had a real strong idea he would be gone sooner.

As we've seen this year, the team still needs playmakers. So, when you have a special talent on the board, you've got to grab it.

In this vein, I would not be unhappy if the Niners targeted Dez Bryant in the top 10 picks of this draft.

P.S. To me, this was a no-brainer draft selection for a team that needed help at the position. Teams like the Browns (long after Mangini the Moron is gone), the Bengals, the Jags and the Raiders are going to look back and be disgusted with their draft day choices.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM ]
Crabs was worthy of the number 1 overall pick, We got a steal!

TY Al Davis.
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM ]
Definitely Crabtree. You've got to pick the best available athlete, and he was that by far. I still would have loved to have picked up Michael Oher though. I'd be really surprised if one of those two first round draft picks next year isn't spent on a OT.
Crabs
Originally posted by teeohh:

Oher got abused by Jared Allen
Originally posted by WestCoast:

He did ok, and Allen is basically the best DE playing right now, big deal.
  • dedfischer
  • Info N/A
Hey, I'm somewhat of a new 49er fan being a Crabtree follower. There's a story floating around that back when Welker would come back to work out at Tech in the summers, he played 7-on-7 with Crabtree the year he signed. Privately, Welker was quoted as saying he was better than half the guys starting in the NFL right then. Of course, there was an eligibility issue and we had to wait through a redshirt year, but I don't think he was lying. I've seen two guys play live I thought could have played in the NFL straight out of high school. The first was Adrian Peterson and the next was Crabtree. I'm not sure how good he can be, if he stays healthy, but he'll always be a little bit better than the guy who is guarding him in every game. You're going to come to love how hard this guy fights every play and don't think of him as a finesse guy. He will run people over if it's the right thing to do. All you've got to do is start throwing the ball his direction. He'll make the play.

I wrote a little homer diatribe to him, but I really believe this:
http://tortillaretort.barkingcarnival.com/2009/10/26/crabtree-makes-debut/
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

He did ok, and Allen is basically the best DE playing right now, big deal.

Yea that's true. I think he'll be a good player.

Crabtree all the way though.
Originally posted by boast:
you never pass on a two-time Belitnikoff Award winner.

Good thing the Raiders didn't know this.

Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Originally posted by boast:
you never pass on a two-time Belitnikoff Award winner.

Good thing the Raiders didn't know this.

and that's awful considering who Belitnikoff played for.....................
  • dedfischer
  • Info N/A
When the ball is in the air, it's his. He'll drop an easy one every now and then, but he'll make 5 catches in between that no other guy would make.
Here's how I look at it. How many truly special WRs are in the league? Fitz, Moss, Roddy White, Boldin, AJ, Steve Smith in CAR, and maybe a few others makes about 10.

We all know it's early, but Crabs displayed outstanding abilities in his first NFL game--after only 2.5 weeks with the team and a 70 day holdout. He's strong, attacks the ball, and looks natural out there. He's clearly leaps and bounds above Bruce, Morgan, and the rest of our WRs. Judging from the aptitude he displayed on Sunday, Crabs, provided he stays healthy, has the opportunity to be a great player for this team for years to come. Solid OLs, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. Hell, we've had several on this team that we allowed to leave like Dahl in ATL, Smiley, and Kosier. Moreover, Crabs holdout did not hurt the team in terms of its W-L record. Choosing an OL, especially in light of Smith's performance behind the same s**tty line Hill had but worse because of Sims, would not have the same effect upon this team that Crab's does.

Crabs all the way.
I'm happy to have Crabtree. WR's are a very high risk pick in the draft. More often than not, 1st round WR picks disappoint. After one game and no preseason training, I must say Crabtree looks like he can ball.

Tackles are a safer pick that WR, so by that token they are a dime a dozen compared to quality WRs coming out of the draft. Oher was a steal, but so was Crabtree at 10... or so it seems after 5 catches.
Crabs has already done more as a 9er than that Bass Fishing Fraud
Share 49ersWebzone