LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Looking back, Crabtree or an Offensive Lineman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Crab for sure. Oher was the other guy I wanted though. We still could've went OT in the 2nd, or traded for one like Philly traded for Peters, or signed one in FA. We actually did get one in FA(Marv Smith), he just retired on us. Should've gotten someone else in FA but oh well.

Marvel Smith's back problems were well known, McClueless should have known this.
You don't pass up on a top 5 player who also happens to be a skill player for an offensive lineman. Linemen can be picked up in the later rounds. Look at Heitmann at the 7th round, for example.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm glad we grabbed Crabtree, but Michael Oher is looking like a steal at #23

I think Crabtree will look like a bigger steal in just a few weeks.

Crabtree might have been a steal at #10.
Crabtree, not even close. At best we would of only picked up a right tackle, but if Crabtree continues to develop and remain consistent we hit the lottery. One gets the ball in his hands (hopefully) and the other doesn't. Also we are paying #10 money to a top 3 pick, where with a RT we would be paying #10 money to a top 10/top 15 pick.
Crabtree no doubt. We need playmakers on offense.

As for the line, we have already invested a lot of high draft picks to it. Staley was a 1st, Baas and Rachel were 2nds, and Snyder was a 3rd. Turns out that Staley is the only good offensive lineman that we have drafted. Rachel sucks, but he's still young. Baas and Snyder are average at best.

IMO our #1 priority in the 2010 draft should be a RT.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Not if the QB is on his butt 80% of the time
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Crabtree looks to have very sticky hands which are just what we need. He was the best player available. The holdout hurt everyone but that's history now.

We should have drafted an O-lineman at some point though. Maybe with the picks we traded away. The pick trade seemed okay at the time but not if we don't have the O-lineman we need to get through the season. With our line fielding has beens (I'm thinking Sims), other high draft picks who can't get it done (I'm thinking Chilo and even Baas), getting nothing from never weres (I'm thinking Wallace), nothing else works.

Unless we find some veteran help we aren't going to get by with other team's practice players and things will get worse. Kissing a season good-bye for a first round draft pick next year is no fun. I hope Alex doesn't get ground into the turf again. Maybe his quicker release will help. I hope so.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Crabtree, not even close. At best we would of only picked up a right tackle, but if Crabtree continues to develop and remain consistent we hit the lottery. One gets the ball in his hands (hopefully) and the other doesn't. Also we are paying #10 money to a top 3 pick, where with a RT we would be paying #10 money to a top 10/top 15 pick.

Crabtree? Is that you?
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

It's going to land on our QB, Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers have been sacked more times but their receivers are doing great. If Smith can step his game up we'll be fine, if he sucks well then it's because he sucks not because of our oline.

When you can get a WR who can come in and learn the offense and play with so little preperation and make an impact like Crabtree has ------ how can you even ask that question.

We have needed to have an outside threat with sure hands.
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by BHulman:

True ...but we should have traded down and grabbed Michael Oher

But then again I'm glad we have two number 1 picks next year
There was no doubt we were picking Crabtree when he was available.

Next season we fix the lines by trading down and having multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

It's going to land on our QB, Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers have been sacked more times but their receivers are doing great. If Smith can step his game up we'll be fine, if he sucks well then it's because he sucks not because of our oline.

Aaron Rodgers--I totally agree with you...Big Ben gets sacked because he stands back there with great protection for hours. He is sooo spoiled in terms of having time that he allows sacks. He has a lot more time than our QBs.
Originally posted by BHulman:

True ...but we should have traded down and grabbed Michael Oher

But then again I'm glad we have two number 1 picks next year

That would have been sweet. But I am also liking (espiecally with the way the Panthers look and what their schedule is) having those two firsts. But either way I am very happy the Niners have Crabtree.
Share 49ersWebzone