LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 183 users in the forums

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Some fans are wishing that he flops this weekend just to prove themselves right.

Anyone with that mentality should be neutered to prevent them contaminating the worlds gene pool.

way to make illogical assumptions guys

I made no assumption at all, I just stated that anyone that does think like that is f**ked up.
u guys, I tell ya....

I don't know how you can't but expect him to do well... I know our Oline is struggling but I felt if we *had* did for Hill what we did for Alex this past Sunday, it should help out....and of course the threat of Alex passing the deep ball......basically the fact that we spread the defense out should help our Oline and Alex.....again we have play makers almost everywhere for him.... if he sees Gore in the flat open then that might be a big play, if he sees Vernon running open, then that might be a big play....if we use B. Jones more or Jason Hill and have them run a couple of streaks and it is one on one coverage, then that might be a big play...... I would prefer Alex start off with short passes and quick passes to get in a grove....and some playaction rollouts and bootlegs (like back in 06)....just to get him some quick simple passes that don't require him fitting the ball in tight spots.....and then go from there....

the whole season we have been hearing that Alex can do these short passes that Hill was asked to do....and I believe he can...so I say we continue with this approach early against the Colts just to get him some high percentage plays as well as keep Payton on the sidelines and *hopefully* throw off Manning's rhythm, while at the same time getting us some points.

so no, I don't think he will flop....if he tucks the ball in and runs if no one is open (like he did one time against the Texans) then has really made progress and he would be using all of his abilities to help this team move forward.....we don't need the big plays....let the other players make the plays....lets just be efficient.

if we come out like we have been these first 7 games and just stubbornly run the ball over and over....then I think Alex will struggle.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
We're playing the Colts. Things aren't going to go well for Alex and company.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
u guys, I tell ya....

I don't know how you can't but expect him to do well... I know our Oline is struggling but I felt if we *had* did for Hill what we did for Alex this past Sunday, it should help out....and of course the threat of Alex passing the deep ball......basically the fact that we spread the defense out should help our Oline and Alex.....again we have play makers almost everywhere for him.... if he sees Gore in the flat open then that might be a big play, if he sees Vernon running open, then that might be a big play....if we use B. Jones more or Jason Hill and have them run a couple of streaks and it is one on one coverage, then that might be a big play...... I would prefer Alex start off with short passes and quick passes to get in a grove....and some playaction rollouts and bootlegs (like back in 06)....just to get him some quick simple passes that don't require him fitting the ball in tight spots.....and then go from there....

the whole season we have been hearing that Alex can do these short passes that Hill was asked to do....and I believe he can...so I say we continue with this approach early against the Colts just to get him some high percentage plays as well as keep Payton on the sidelines and *hopefully* throw off Manning's rhythm, while at the same time getting us some points.

so no, I don't think he will flop....if he tucks the ball in and runs if no one is open (like he did one time against the Texans) then has really made progress and he would be using all of his abilities to help this team move forward.....we don't need the big plays....let the other players make the plays....lets just be efficient.

if we come out like we have been these first 7 games and just stubbornly run the ball over and over....then I think Alex will struggle.

I would sure like to see Jones and Jason Hill get some game time.
Originally posted by boast:
this post is inspired by last Sundays game vs the Texans.

for Sing's decision at halftime...

for what Alex showed us in 2qtrs...

for what Alex brings to all of us fans...

our Messiah, our Savior.....

LOL. Compared to the non-production we're used to under Hill, it's gonna be hard to flop in my eyes. I think Smith will play well.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

true, but I was speaking in general for the remainder of the season.

I hope Alex does well and I hope we address the position in the offseason.

that's the thing though. If he does well, nothing will be done in the offseason as far as bringing in another QB.

That's always possible, but it depends on your definition of "well". I would like to see him play at least well enough to get us into the playoffs. But I don't think him doing just enough to get us there will prevent us from taking a QB in the draft next year (assuming there are any worth a damn). I think he would have to play at a very high level to keep us from looking around next year.

Makes absolutely no sense

They just drafted a QB(Nate Davis),why would they draft another the very next year???????

Drafting QB after QB with no protection would just be stupid

O-line has to be priority #1
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
LOL. Compared to the non-production we're used to under Hill, it's gonna be hard to flop in my eyes. I think Smith will play well.

I was thinking the same thing. Going 3 and out every time you step on the field isn't exactly hard to improve upon.
Originally posted by eastie:
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

that's the thing though. If he does well, nothing will be done in the offseason as far as bringing in another QB.

friggin pretzel logic. If he does well, why would we need to draft another QB? We have Davis sitting on the bench learning, we need OL help first and foremost, so if he does well you want to draft another QB? Incredible....

Some zoners just don't get it- WE NEED O-LINE!!!

Not another QB!!
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by eastie:

friggin pretzel logic. If he does well, why would we need to draft another QB? We have Davis sitting on the bench learning, we need OL help first and foremost, so if he does well you want to draft another QB? Incredible....

Some zoners just don't get it- WE NEED O-LINE!!!

Not another QB!!

• indianajim
  • Info N/A
I think it's hard to define "flop" against Indianapolis. The Colts defense relies on its pass rush. They have a soft middle and I think we're going to revive our run game against that front. Also, after Freeney and Mathis come around the edge and Alex burns them a couple times, it's going to slow that pass rush down.

The Colts have a similar defensive philosophy to us, as in "bend but don't break." I think we can keep it closer than people think, with some ball control and the occasional offensive explosion, the kind Miami didn't have when they lost to Indy.

All I know is Arizona gets Carolina and we get the Colts? WHAT THE HEY?!
I think he will come out & have a decent game.
I don't think he will flop but he's not doing what he did against Houston. He will play ok. 16/25 185 yards 1td. Hopefully no picks.
Originally posted by indianajim:
I think it's hard to define "flop" against Indianapolis. The Colts defense relies on its pass rush. They have a soft middle and I think we're going to revive our run game against that front. Also, after Freeney and Mathis come around the edge and Alex burns them a couple times, it's going to slow that pass rush down.

The Colts have a similar defensive philosophy to us, as in "bend but don't break." I think we can keep it closer than people think, with some ball control and the occasional offensive explosion, the kind Miami didn't have when they lost to Indy.

All I know is Arizona gets Carolina and we get the Colts? WHAT THE HEY?!

A Carolina loss is good for us right?
  • B650
  • Veteran
He won't flop. How can he? Even if he finishes with say, 180 yards passing and only 1 TD, that's pretty much what Hill was averaging through 5 games, so it's really a win-win situation. Smith can't do much worse than Hill, as long as he isn't throwing the ball to the Colts 3 or 4 times.

I'm excited to see how this team finishes off the year because it seems like we have all the pieces in place on offense to score some points now. I'm excited to see Alex Smith vs. Aaron Rodgers in a few weeks. I'm excited to see if Alex can help the 49ers pull an upset against the Eagles.

All I know is that our playoff hopes are looking better now that we have Smith and Crabtree starting.
Share 49ersWebzone