LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by kronik:
Doesn't the Colts pass defense rank # 1. The real question should be, what are your expectations.

#2 in points, #6 in yardage

I had no idea their pass defense was ranked that high.

They're #19 in run defense, fwiw.

Look at the good passing teams they played? The only good one was the Cards and they went over 300 yards.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Doesn't the Colts pass defense rank # 1. The real question should be, what are your expectations.

Yes , so a balanced attack could get the win, something sorely lacking the first 51/2 games
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
A heavy dose of the spread offense is my prediction against Indy. They have a great pass D and great pass rush. I think Raye will try to give them a new look they haven't seen on film from us.
Originally posted by jerryricefan80:
A heavy dose of the spread offense is my prediction against Indy. They have a great pass D and great pass rush. I think Raye will try to give them a new look they haven't seen on film from us.

Raye's not that smart.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

true, but I was speaking in general for the remainder of the season.

I hope Alex does well and I hope we address the position in the offseason.

that's the thing though. If he does well, nothing will be done in the offseason as far as bringing in another QB.

friggin pretzel logic. If he does well, why would we need to draft another QB? We have Davis sitting on the bench learning, we need OL help first and foremost, so if he does well you want to draft another QB? Incredible....
I accidentally hit yes. For the record though, I say no he doesn't flop. Yeah Indy's pass D is good, but I'm sure it makes a good D look better when you play against the Rams, Seahawks, etc. It made ours look better. There's still not much film on Smith2.0 except the 2nd half vs Houston. He has the arm to sling it all over the field. If our stupid OL holds up we have a shot to beat them IMO. I think we do it.
Originally posted by 9ermj:
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

true, but I was speaking in general for the remainder of the season.

I hope Alex does well and I hope we address the position in the offseason.

If Alex does well we can spend our draft picks on things we really need, like a safety, ol and pass rushers. We do not need another QB if Smith is what we saw Sunday, least of all this crop of over hyped media darlings coming out this year, none of them really impressed me so far this year with their play. The kid at Washington looks better than McCoy or Bradford.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
My prediction is that he will have at least 2 picks and will be on the run constantly due to our s**tty O-Line! Singletary will get pissed and pull him and we will have another wave of whiners screaming that "He never really got a fair chance to compete to be our starter"!

even if Smith plays horribly, Sing will not make another switch so soon. He'll get at least 2 games no matter how he plays.

I know... Just BSing...Except for the bolded part!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I actually think he's gonna do OK. I don't think we win this game regardless, but if Bill Cosby keeps the spread going, he'll put up numbers and we should move the ball.

Agreed. It might be the best game, with perhaps a fumble and an INT, but we'll at least put up some points probably.
Originally posted by pd24:

Look at the good passing teams they played? The only good one was the Cards and they went over 300 yards.

True. They've played:

Jacksonville
Miami
Arizona
Seattle
Tennessee
St. Louis

Not exactly a group of world-beaters there.

Some fans are wishing that he flops this weekend just to prove themselves right.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Some fans are wishing that he flops this weekend just to prove themselves right.

Anyone with that mentality should be neutered to prevent them contaminating the worlds gene pool.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
who's gonna block Freeney and Mathis???

Exactly.

And we have to come out slinging to give us any chance. This is our best chance while Alex still has a fresh arm and shoulder. Give him 5 or 6 weeks of beatings like the ones Hill has been taking and he'll be throwing ducks too.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
We're playing the Colts. Things aren't going to go well for Alex and company.

Yep.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
this is probably his last chance so he could get a case of some nerves, but as long as he doesn't become TO prone.... how bad could it beat the same time he knows how it feels to be road pizza (see suit years)...so the pressure may not get to him at all who knows

I think this is Smith's job for awhile,regardless of the outcome (barring injury). Singletary says he does not want to go back and forth and Smith's skills give this team the best chance to win. So he stays with Alex, for awhile at least. But I for one think Smith is going to prove the doubters wrong. The guy I saw QBing last Sunday looked in every way like a legitimate NFL QB to me. Maybe I am wrong; I sure hope not.

the jobs his until he proves otherwise, i hope he shows up and makes the doubters eat crow.....me included
Share 49ersWebzone