LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 134 users in the forums

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Does Alex flop in his first start in nearly 2 years.

I Remember his last start against the Colts it was his 1st career start

He threw 4 picks that game at home

i remember cuz i was at the game only 3 points in a losing effort

hope he remembers that game & he uses that for redemption!!!!!

Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

true, but I was speaking in general for the remainder of the season.

I hope Alex does well and I hope we address the position in the offseason.

that's the thing though. If he does well, nothing will be done in the offseason as far as bringing in another QB.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I actually think he's gonna do OK. I don't think we win this game regardless, but if Bill Cosby keeps the spread going, he'll put up numbers and we should move the ball.

I kind of hope we try a flea flicker out of a I-Form set to Crabtree or Morgan. I have NO doubt that out of this Cosby-loved formation we'd be able to get huge yards.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
400 or so yards and 6 touchdown passes... all to vernon
It all depends upon whether the O-line can hold up and if Alex Smith has actually learned to lead his receivers. I'm hoping that he can, but I'm going to wait a few more games before I become a believer.
I either want him to do well and establish himself as our QB, or do horribly so we know that the position needs addressing in the off season.

I don't think Indy is going to tell us much , unless of course he lights it up then they may have something

Last time I checked, the 49ers and Indy are both NFL teams. This game will tell us a lot. It will tell us if we suck as a team, if Alex gets rattled, if our offensive line can block, if Crabtree is the real deal, and if our coaching staff gets out coached.

Every game tells us a lot. Who cares who we play, Alex needs to do his thing and if he can't do his thing, then it's on him, not on someone else or another team. Same goes for the O-line, Gore, and everyone else.

I expect us to win this game and win or lose, we will notice our weakness and strengths as we do with each week.

They have weaknesses also and that is that they absolutely suck probably as bad as the Raiders without Manning. Therefore, we go kamikaze on Manning and risk it all.

Just like a backup coming into a game or taking over for a starter, the 49ers need to decide where they want to be in this league. Do they want to win and kick some ass or do they want to fold in fetal position and believe they suck or do they want to put up a tremendous fight and be ready to fight again the week after?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
My prediction is that he will have at least 2 picks and will be on the run constantly due to our s**tty O-Line! Singletary will get pissed and pull him and we will have another wave of whiners screaming that "He never really got a fair chance to compete to be our starter"!

even if Smith plays horribly, Sing will not make another switch so soon. He'll get at least 2 games no matter how he plays.

that's the thing though. If he does well, nothing will be done in the offseason as far as bringing in another QB.

That's always possible, but it depends on your definition of "well". I would like to see him play at least well enough to get us into the playoffs. But I don't think him doing just enough to get us there will prevent us from taking a QB in the draft next year (assuming there are any worth a damn). I think he would have to play at a very high level to keep us from looking around next year.
Doesn't the Colts pass defense rank # 1. The real question should be, what are your expectations.
If Alex doesn't do well on Sunday vs the Colts, he's benched!

Kidding aside, I think it'll take at least 3 games before we could judge the QB situation. Unless of course Alex throws for 3 INTs and fumbles a couple of times on Sunday.
Though I'm not a huge Alex fan, I just hope we don't have to make another change at QB rest of the season...that would be painful.
[ Edited by 49ersking on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:28 PM ]

Originally posted by Allx9er:
this is probably his last chance so he could get a case of some nerves, but as long as he doesn't become TO prone.... how bad could it beat the same time he knows how it feels to be road pizza (see suit years)...so the pressure may not get to him at all who knows

I think this is Smith's job for awhile,regardless of the outcome (barring injury). Singletary says he does not want to go back and forth and Smith's skills give this team the best chance to win. So he stays with Alex, for awhile at least. But I for one think Smith is going to prove the doubters wrong. The guy I saw QBing last Sunday looked in every way like a legitimate NFL QB to me. Maybe I am wrong; I sure hope not.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

if he does well , for the remainder of the season , then would you feel that position is no longer the area of most concern?or do you still want someone brought in . I feel like if he can show something then they can attack the O line , it's hard to believe it hasn't been taken care by now
Originally posted by DJD:
400 or so yards and 6 touchdown passes... all to vernon

Let Crabtree have 150 of those and two of the touchdowns. It would be nice to point out to my Raider fan friends.
Originally posted by kronik:
Doesn't the Colts pass defense rank # 1. The real question should be, what are your expectations.

#2 in points, #6 in yardage

I had no idea their pass defense was ranked that high.

They're #19 in run defense, fwiw.

if he does well , for the remainder of the season , then would you feel that position is no longer the area of most concern?or do you still want someone brought in . I feel like if he can show something then they can attack the O line , it's hard to believe it hasn't been taken care by now

only way I feel we shouldn't bring someone else in is if Smith tears it up for the remainder of the year. Which I really don't expect him to do.
Share 49ersWebzone