Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Lets not forget our O-Line blows.
this

oh, damn

Seemed to be a little better with Alex in there though, mainly because Alex made them look better.

I never thought I would see that, but I have to admit, it was true last Sunday

The whole field opened up with him in there. Having a QB with the physical skills makes everyone else look better. Even the D will look better.
He should get some more opportunities to run in open space...the more success Alex has throwing the ball, the more it'll loosen up defenses. They won't be able to stack the box because we now have the ability to get the ball downfield quickly. That was the formula for success in the past...use the pass to set up the run.
Frank is still a very good back, but I think the days when he could make something out of nothing, with a mediocre line, are gone, or at least fewer and farther between. This is not something we as the Faithful want to admit, but other than those 2 long ones, he's not breaking runs, whereas in the past (not that long ago!), he could be counted on to break some tackles and churn out some extra yards. Strangely enough though, he does seem a little faster. I truly hope I'm wrong and he has a blistering second half, BUT........
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Frank is still a very good back, but I think the days when he could make something out of nothing, with a mediocre line, are gone, or at least fewer and farther between. This is not something we as the Faithful want to admit, but other than those 2 long ones, he's not breaking runs, whereas in the past (not that long ago!), he could be counted on to break some tackles and churn out some extra yards. Strangely enough though, he does seem a little faster. I truly hope I'm wrong and he has a blistering second half, BUT........

Ya he hasn't been the same since he decided to lose weight and gain speed so he could be more like LT. I'm still holding out hope that he can show the power he had in '06, but our OL as really been just that brutal this year. Only a guy like Barry Sanders would have any kind of success behind this line.
If defenses now have to worry about our passing game, then it should loosen up things for Gore. I would expect his play to greatly improve if Alex Smith is for real.
Frank wont be running wild ever if our OL doesnt get their act together. He had no holes whatsoever to run through against Houston which has been a consistent theme for this year.

Hopefully the OL starts opening up some actual holes and Gore's injured ankle gets better and better. Then and only then will be really be a force.
Not if we're down 17-0 or 21-0 by the end of the first half.
frank gore will be running for his life, with the constant jail break through our o-line!
I really hope Gore can get some room to run. This will mean our passing game is on point.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I believe now that Alex Smith is the starting QB again, I expect things to really open up on offense. Opposing defenses will no longer be able to stack the box with 8-9 players. They will have to respect the deep ball. In effect, this should open up lanes for Frank Gore. The combination of Frank Gore and Alex Smith worked well together in 2006. Add a focused Vernon Davis and young up and coming WRs Josh Morgan and Michael Crabtree to the mix... opposing teams will have a lot to think about!

I expect a lot from Frank Gore in the 2nd half of the 2009 season.

not going to happen , we don't have an OL to Block we had to have Max protection to lett Alex throw deep and by the way they still got to the QB but Alex Ran for his life and Don't you think the Colts will be blitzing their assess off !

Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I believe now that Alex Smith is the starting QB again, I expect things to really open up on offense. Opposing defenses will no longer be able to stack the box with 8-9 players. They will have to respect the deep ball. In effect, this should open up lanes for Frank Gore. The combination of Frank Gore and Alex Smith worked well together in 2006. Add a focused Vernon Davis and young up and coming WRs Josh Morgan and Michael Crabtree to the mix... opposing teams will have a lot to think about!

I expect a lot from Frank Gore in the 2nd half of the 2009 season.

not going to happen , we don't have an OL to Block we had to have Max protection to lett Alex throw deep and by the way they still got to the QB but Alex Ran for his life and Don't you think the Colts will be blitzing their assess off !

IF Alex can do what were all expecting, opposing D's will have to account for his better arm strength and ability to move and scramble. Also with VD emerging as a REAL threat, Crabs coming out firing on all cylinders, Morgan who can be dangerous, and Gore being Gore.....somebody will be left open if they send the house. I expect a little 4 wide this week with Alex in the shotgun and Gore back with him.
Gore is back yes. But it's not the same Frank Gore we saw in the first three games when he was running over defenders. His ankle is still clearly bothering him.

Was he limping in the Houston game? No. But he was going down at the first hit, and he wasn't cutting like his usual self -- and those are two solid signs that all is not well in Gore-Land just yet. Gore doesn't juke defenders. He steamrolls them. That's his way. That's his mojo. He wasn't doing that against Houston -- which tells me that he's not all the way there yet. High ankle sprains take time to heal.

Yes, barring any setback, it's possible that Gore will continue to get better and put together a late stretch of December games and December wins. I hope he does. He's on my fantasy team. I hope to God he gets better. Fortunately, he did not appear to exacerbate the injury against Houston. Thank goodness for small favors.

Right now though? He's looking like a washed up L.T. Hopefully -- with time -- he'll return to his "Frank the Tank" ways.

Sadly, even with Glen Coffee, a half-healthy Gore gives us our best shot. I'm not saying we whiffed on Glen -- but he doesn't appear ready for the NFL yet. Perhaps a year of bulking up in the weight room will help. Perhaps not.

Gore is key. If Alex shows the same laser-like efficiency and pin-point accuracy that he showed against Houston -- folks -- it's "game on" in Indianapolis. That's a big if. Alex Smith has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn sometimes.

You will notice a tremendous amount of improvement out of our line IF both elements (passing and running) start to click. You'll start to see hesitation out of defensive linemen as they attempt to read the play. And folks, that is the only edge that earthmovers like Staley and Rachal need. The line will get better.

Cheer up kids. Cheer up. We're not dead yet. There's still time. Plenty of it.
Maybe. I'm curious, has Moran Norris been playing much? I haven't seen him often, but maybe I'm missing something. That was always a key to Gore's success.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by billybonka:
this

oh, damn

Seemed to be a little better with Alex in there though, mainly because Alex made them look better.

seems like rachal gets worse as the season goes on.
Share 49ersWebzone