LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 125 users in the forums

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

Did anyone else notice how in the fourth quarter, Gore was able to break a couple 5-10 yards runs?
Our passing game opened up the run; but remember, it took a WHILE to happen.
It took 2 touchdowns before the Texans began to give some respect to our running game.
You can't simply throw a long pass and then expect to run well, especially with our reputation.
We need to pass the heck out of the ball, and then when they begin to consistently back off, we can go back to 50/50 or whatever.
At the moment, teams are gearing up for our run, and we need to pass pass pass before they begin to think different.
The whole point is to mix it up over the entire field, this forces every position to play a little unsure, because they don't know where the ball is going.
Its like a poker player who never bluffs on a hand and then finally bluffs on a hand. Just because he bluffed once does not mean everyone will all of a sudden be afraid of him bluffing.
We need to establish to other teams that we are willing to air it out a lot. You can't do that with one half of football.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
it seems like the obvious thing to do, but you never know what Singray has in mind...it will be a very interesting to see what happens -interwebz gangsta

yea but I think we are definitely going to have to throw playing agianst payton manning... im just saying why not spread?

I don't know if it's a good idea to play a passing game against the Colts. If we could run SUCCESSFULLY (doubtful), then I would run.

Only reason I say that is because I don't want Peyton Manning on the field. If we run the ball, we can control the clock.... keep him out of the game... not get any rhythm when he IS in the game.

Of course, this is the assumption that we can run the ball, which we have absolutely FAILED at this year.

We WILL have to pass though to keep us in the game. But I worry that it'll turn into a shoot-out. We'll do well if we have a balanced attack.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Looks like that word is "spread" out across the web zone.
Lets assume that Smith is better in the spread. Why wouldn't we want to utilize his strengths and make him a more productive QB?

I assume it has to do with having one less blocker for Gore. But its not like our offense is better when we run the i-formation, and obv teams like the Cardinals have effective offenses with a spread.

I dont understand why we would try and force a scheme on a player that obv thrives in a different scheme.

I hope the coaches are willing to adapt to the strengths of our talent, instead of forcing our talent to adapt to a scheme that clearly wasnt working until the 2nd half of last week.
Originally posted by calbear:
Lets assume that Smith is better in the spread. Why wouldn't we want to utilize his strengths and make him a more productive QB?

I assume it has to do with having one less blocker for Gore. But its not like our offense is better when we run the i-formation, and obv teams like the Cardinals have effective offenses with a spread.

I dont understand why we would try and force a scheme on a player that obv thrives in a different scheme.

I hope the coaches are willing to adapt to the strengths of our talent, instead of forcing our talent to adapt to a scheme that clearly wasnt working until the 2nd half of last week.

Use the search function noob.

I did this after I replied to you and see I got four with the word "spread". I'm sure you'll find one that mirrors yours and thus to your liking.

"MM-49ers didn't run spread offense more with Smith/WillistheWall/61 replies/Niner Talk/Oct 29, 2009 15:03:13

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?/alanbeez22/78replies/Niner Talk Oct 29, 2009 00:58:18

To spread it, or not to spread it. That is the question/2cents/ 11 /Niner Talk/ Oct 28, 2009 08:20:13

Were We Running The Spread in the 2nd Half?/ stever/68 replies Niner Talk Oct 27, 2009 22:14:45"

Oh yeah IBT

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:31 AM ]
  • flow
  • Veteran
FREEEEE THREAAAAAAADDDD!!!
i'm not being sarcastic. people will look at the box score and say "well we only had 200 yards of offense", but the opportunities were there. people sometimes think that playing in the NFL is like playing madden. "well alex smith is rated this, and he should step right in and perform per that rating", but that's not how real life is. people need time to get into a rhythm, to learn an offense, to get comfortable. and thats what alex is going to do.

the spread is opening up some running lanes for us as well. compare the holes gore had tonight vs. the holes he had against the cards in week 1.

i'm pretty confident that once all of our receivers and alex get on the same page we're going to be able to put up some decent points.

the fact that we are actually running it consistently gives me confidence that our coaching staff isn't going to be stubborn and run, run, pass, punt like they were earlier in the season
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I agree with you. The shift in our offensive philosophy has opened up a ton of running lanes for Frank Gore.
Quote:
Frank Gore averaged 8.1 yards per carry running outside and 1.5 yards per carry running between the tackles.

OL still sux
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
OL still sux
Well at least we won our first game with it in place. So lots of changes and hopefully we will jell somewhere soon.
Originally posted by znk916:
Quote:
Frank Gore averaged 8.1 yards per carry running outside and 1.5 yards per carry running between the tackles.

How many outside runs did he have? Two?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by chimp914:
Originally posted by znk916:
Quote:

How many outside runs did he have? Two?

I find that stat hard to believe considering that Gore broke two monster runs vs Seattle up the middle and another monster run up the middle vs the Colts.

Those three big runs were all up the middle.
Share 49ersWebzone