There are 145 users in the forums

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who thinks we should stick with the spread offense?

it spreads the field and puts less pressure on our offensive line, it worked well with alex smith in the second half. i totally liked that we moved to using 3 and 4 wide sets to open up the field. i also feel it will help open up the run game. it's a balance attack!
HELLO ALEX SMITH! and thanks SHAUN HILL FOR THE 3 THAT YOU PUT UP!
Yes not only is it Smith's strong suit, but Crabtree's too
best thread ever nomination count: 1
Originally posted by billybonka:
best thread ever nomination count: 2
Do any NFL teams consistently use the spread? I swear it is rarely used since it puts so much on the QB, and leaves very little protection...
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by billybonka:
best thread ever nomination count: 3
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Do any NFL teams consistently use the spread? I swear it is rarely used since it puts so much on the QB, and leaves very little protection...

i wouldn't say consistently, but appropriately! for example... COLTS!
I think we need to slow down a bit here.

I liked what I saw from Smith as much as anyone else and I'm encouraged that he may have finally turned into something close to the player we thought we got in '05...

...but the spread O worked because we were down by 21 points and Houston called off the dogs. Yes, Smith played GREAT, but when a D has a chance to prepare for Smith in the Spread, its not going to come so easy.

If Smith is named the starter, I have no doubt that the O will open up quite a bit simply because he can hit passes down the field and hit intermediate out routes that Hill can't throw, but we will not go to the Spread.

The only thing I can see is that there will simply be more open space for recievers and maybe even for the run because Smith can challenge more of the field than Hill ever could...and that could happen with the same O that we have been running for weeks with Hill.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:

The Pat's use it alot. Sometimes they use it almost the whole game.

Imagine if Smith was out there in the first half? 400 yards, 6TDs.....

It looked like things were working well with Smith out there. Lets keep it that way and see what happens next week in Indy.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I liked what I saw from Smith as much as anyone else and I'm encouraged that he may have finally turned into something close to the player we thought we got in '05...

...but the spread O worked because we were down by 21 points and Houston called off the dogs. Yes, Smith played GREAT, but when a D has a chance to prepare for Smith in the Spread, its not going to come so easy.

If Smith is named the starter, I have no doubt that the O will open up quite a bit simply because he can hit passes down the field and hit intermediate out routes that Hill can't throw, but we will not go to the Spread.

The only thing I can see is that there will simply be more open space for recievers and maybe even for the run because Smith can challenge more of the field than Hill ever could...and that could happen with the same O that we have been running for weeks with Hill.

i personally think they won't move to the spread either, cause no matter how good you are at qb, or how good your threats are down field the system has it's flaws, BUT and a big BUT... at the time ALEX SMITH was the best in college for his spread offense, and CRABTREE was the best at TEXTECH. now what i'm saying is they won't put it in as our main offense cause i do believe GORE is still the center point of our attack. but i trully believe we will see 30 to 35 percent of our plays designed to work with Alex Smiths strengths and Crabtree's strenths! raye will mix it in there for sure! just not all the time!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I don't know about going spread all the time, but we should mix it in. We should also do the formation where we don't use a full back and put 1 mote O lineman in the game.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I've wanted Raye to open things up a bit all season, but I'm not ready for a return to a Martz style offense.

The truth is that we had a great half against a bad defense. I am all for changing the offense moderately, but I don't think a complete shift is justified.
Share 49ersWebzone