LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

We should have paid Crabtree what he demanded in July

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm glad we didn't. Crabtree & the 49ers will be okay.
We'll never know the answer to that question, but you're crazy if you believe that our receiving core would still be averaging 80 yards a game with Crabtree in the lineup.

Crabtree gave us the ability to do something that we haven't done all year. Converting 3rd downs in passing situations. Those 3rd down conversions led to 21 points. Whose to say that wouldn't happen in the Minnesota game?
Way better? We still would've lost the Atlanta game. We lost the Houston game. So we could've been 4-2 instead of 3-3. That's not way better.
  • dj43
Originally posted by tjd808185:
We'll never know the answer to that question, but you're crazy if you believe that our receiving core would still be averaging 80 yards a game with Crabtree in the lineup.

Crabtree gave us the ability to do something that we haven't done all year. Converting 3rd downs in passing situations. Those 3rd down conversions led to 21 points. Whose to say that wouldn't happen in the Minnesota game?

How much of that was Smith instead of Hill?

Do you think the team would have done the same thing with Hill as the QB? If so, why didn't it happen in the first half?

Nothing against your post. I just believe that without Smith throwing those rockets in just the right place, at just the right time, we would all be telling a different story.
Originally posted by crzy:
We'd be way better than 3-3 if he started the first five games.

that's just crzy
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for kem99.

The surprising thing is when I say this thread, I expected the original poster was going to have 22 posts, not 22,000+.
It would have been Crazy to give Crabtree that money that he wanted.

1) It would have shown the Niners to be weak in the front office and sent a message to the league that the Niners were desperate.
2) It would have screwed up our draft for next year.
3) We all know the Darrius Heyward Bey shouldnt have been drafted at 7 but that doesn't mean the Crabtree should be paid like him.

It's unfortunate that Crabtree took bad advice from his agent and yes we could have used him earlier in the season, but at least he came to his senses and we signed him and most importantly the Niners held their ground and showed him no disrespect so he can stay a Niner hopefully for a long time. He looked good on Sunday with limited practice time.....he should be lighting it up by year end.

By the way Vernon Davis is awesome the Niners better lock him up!
Originally posted by jrg:

This without a doubt is the best. I've seen it over and over and it still get's me every time. Our front office did the right thing.

I think we would have a better team if Crabtree had come in on time. I do not think we should have paid his demands, for that would have torn up the team, at least in future drafts.

I think we did the right thing and I am happy that Crabtree is ready to play. All things are working out properly, just slower than most of us would like.

Now we have Crabtree, the team is intact, the finances are solid and we will be able to deal with future draft picks in a responsible manner.

Really? At best we would be 4-2 in my opinion. I wish we had him but its foolish to say we should just have caved in to his demands in July. I think the Niners did the right thing in holding the line and having his services now for 6 years.

Crzy.. this thread was not your best moment. Hopefully you will see the light and change your opinion like you did regarding Steven Jackson. Maybe the Warriors just have you really crazed right now.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM ]

You Sir are an IDIOT!
I believe the 49ers did the right thing by holding firm on their offer. It was fair from all angles. Sometimes, when you do the right thing, it hurts, but in the long run, it cures.
Regardless, it's water under the bridge.

We are 3-3, about to go 3-4, no certainty at QB, AZ is leading the division and facing Carolina next (potential 5-2 record), our OLINE is bad, our running game has deteriorated, and our defense is inconsistent.
I think we have bigger problems to solve.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:

What would have helped is if we werent so predictable on offense....When you state you want to run 60% of the time and teams are not afraid of matching up with you 1 on 1 on the outside you are not going to have success running the ball...go back over the games and you will find......

WK 1 - Arizona was putting 8-9 in the box and stuffing the running game. Raye opened up the offense a little in 2nd half and Hill played within his abilities to lead team to a win

WK 2 - Seattle too was putting 9 in the box. Combination of very good blocking and Gore making a few defenders miss led to Gore having 2 huge TD runs.

WK 3 - Vikings again were playing line of scrimmage aggressively. Gore was injured early Coffee replaced him and was running at a wall most of the day...Opened up the offense again with Hill hitting VD for 2 Td passes...Hill showed that he would have minimal errors and could lead the team to scoring drives against a very good D.

Wk 4- Rams got what they should when they play a good team. An Ass whoopin. However of the 35 pts scored 21 were by the D and ST....and hill compiled a mere 152 yards...

Wk 5 - Falcons started the eye opening process for myself. In this league you must be able to score points...Again 8-9 in the box with no respect for the niners passing game. Pretty much anything that could go wrong in this game went wrong. Hill was asked to throw the ball 38 times only completing 15 for 198 yds.
Hill had started to look frantic or nervous at times.

Wk 7 - Houston jumps out to early lead niners continue with their league leading 3 and out ways. Hills stats for the season including this game are 898 yards or a 150 ypg avg.....Michael Crabtree was paid the utmost respect by Houston as they mostly had their top cb line up on Crabtree who still led niner wrs with 5 for 56 and had himself a nice debut. Running game was again ineffective as houston put 8 in the box and hill's avg pass attempt was only 4.1 yards. Smith starts the 2nd half and pushes the ball down field more. Oline does not allow any sacks and gore starts to find holes to get some yardage. Whats impressive is Houston had to figure niners had to throw more yet team gave up zero sacks and was able to get the ball down the field. Smith finished with 206 yards passing 3tds and an avg attempt of 9.36 yards.

This offense is designed to have a qb who can push the ball down the field so that the D can not stack line with 8 or 9 and the bottom line is that even though Hill was winning games teams did not respect his ability to throw the ball so it rendered the running game mostly ineffective.
Share 49ersWebzone