LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Does Anyone Feel like Our D is Susceptible to Play-Action?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Starting off the season, our defense was really looking like an elite unit, with strong games in the first four games. But then we got tooled by the Falcons and gave up 21 first-half points to the Texans.

I realize that a lot of our defense's problems stem from the lack of offense, keeping them on the field, giving the opponent's offense more opportunities and more time to establish rhythm.

But in watching the two games against the Falcons and the Texans, I noticed that we can really be hurt on the play action. Our defense is predicated on playing downhill. When the play action has success, it causes our linebackers to freeze up. This was especially apparent against the Falcons, where guys were no longer flying around like in previous games. Against such a dynamic offense, we couldn't play as aggressively as we normally do... in that way, we became... common.

I have a bad feeling against the Colts next week. Hopefully, the offense is at the top of their game next week and can keep Manning off the field.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Starting off the season, our defense was really looking like an elite unit, with strong games in the first four games. But then we got tooled by the Falcons and gave up 21 first-half points to the Texans.

I realize that a lot of our defense's problems stem from the lack of offense, keeping them on the field, giving the opponent's offense more opportunities and more time to establish rhythm.

But in watching the two games against the Falcons and the Texans, I noticed that we can really be hurt on the play action. Our defense is predicated on playing downhill. When the play action has success, it causes our linebackers to freeze up. This was especially apparent against the Falcons, where guys were no longer flying around like in previous games. Against such a dynamic offense, we couldn't play as aggressively as we normally do... in that way, we became... common.

I have a bad feeling against the Colts next week. Hopefully, the offense is at the top of their game next week and can keep Manning off the field.

Yes, but all defenses are. I think a lot of it is wanting to make plays because the offense couldn't. Hopefully if our offense comes around, our defense will improve.
any defense is
Share 49ersWebzone