LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Maiocco: Singletary undecided on next week's starter at QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
More I think about it

I think Hill should start.

Do we really want Alex to play against the colts? Who will pressure us and get sacks galore?

It could be a very ugly game, but probably uglier with Hill's inability to move us down the field lately.

i think he means he doesnt want smith to get hurt and since we are probably gonna lose lets let Hill take the beating
Alex still has an upside, and I would like to see him given a chance since he really didnt get a fair shot at QB during pre-season, yesterday he showed he gives us a better chance to win games right now, let him play and get on the same page with the receivers, our offense has the potential to start moving the ball now rather than try and force runs up the middle, lets open it up a little against Indy
I'm betting Hill gets the start(on a short leash.) If he keeps playing the way he has lately, then Alex comes in and takes over for good.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
I'm betting Hill gets the start(on a short leash.) If he keeps playing the way he has lately, then Alex comes in and takes over for good.

I highly doubt it. Singletary has shown that when he makes a switch mid-game he will stick to it for the next start. Plus, there is overwhelming fan support for Smith right now, and I am sure if he were to start Hill there would be a lot of backlash.
I think Singletary is doing the right thing by not coming to a quick conclusion. The reason most everyone (well, majority) didn't like Alex as the starter (until yest) was 'cause he was making too many mistakes with the ball (=INTs).
That was the reason he couldn't overtake Hill in training camp.
Now, can people change? sure, VD!
I think Singletary would go with Smith, since we are playing the Colts. He can at least throw the deep ball....now, will that be mistake free, time will tell.
I wonder how good our offense can be, with Alex Smith taking 1st team reps as the official starter, the emergence of Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and a healthy Gore in the backfield...

IF ALex Smith can seize this opportunity and become the franchise QB Niner's have been searching for, for years. This offense may have the potential to be really explosive....

of course the o-line has to get better, but pieces are falling into place.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Singletary will name Smith the starter. Unless he wants a locker room mutiny, he needs to get the players that put them in the best position to win in the game. Look for B. Jones to get activated for this week's game too. Battle is done.
our first half offense depleted the team in whole... i'm not a smith supporter but i'll say that when he came in the second half... he motivated the team and gave us a chance to win. I'll give smith credit to this game and would like to see what he can do next week as a starter... good game for smitty!!! showed an arm we haven't seen in a while in hill... LOL he sure was zipping the ball out there.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Sing should not announce a starting QB all week, that way the Colts will have to prepare for both QBs.
Originally posted by susweel:
Sing should not announce a starting QB all week, that way the Colts will have to prepare for both QBs.

Exatly. Make the Colts prepare for both Hill and Smith.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by susweel:

Exatly. Make the Colts prepare for both Hill and Smith.

But Sing is not as bright as you or I.
Alex has been named the starter, per Sing during today's press conference.

how dumb can this guy be??
I think it's asinine to believe witholding the name of our starter would impact the Colts either way . . . . . . as if the Colts would prepare for anyone but Smith.

Come on guys.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I think it's asinine to believe witholding the name of our starter would impact the Colts either way . . . . . . as if the Colts would prepare for anyone but Smith.

Come on guys.

lol, my thoughts exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone