LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Cut Battle!!!!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
He drops another punt.......Cutting Rossum for this chump....Way to go!

Giving Games Away Still!!!!!!!!!!!

Rossum was cut in favor of SPURLOCK.

Lord if you are there and you can hear me would you PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSE work your magic and melt down the keyboard of EVERY unknowledgeable Noob who is entertaining the notion of posting mindless drivel on the Zone? Please?

~Ceadder
I hate to interject some reality here but...

If we cut SPURLOCK intead of Rossum, that NEVER would have happened.

You can't blame Battle who doesn't normally pull return duty for muffing a Punt that's coming at him from the Sun. You can be mad yes. I know I am.

But this is PURELY on Scott for cutting a known to keep an UNKNOWN player on the roster. Spurlock if he is eligible could have been cut to make way for Crabtree and then would have made the PS(once again, IF eligible) and therefore the play would never have occurred and we would have been within reach for Alex's 3 TDs' to be the difference in a Win or Loss situation.

So would you guys hating on Battle please kindly go see your local cranialrectologist and have your heads removed. Thank you.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

You can't blame Battle who doesn't normally pull return duty for muffing a Punt that's coming at him from the Sun. You can be mad yes. I know I am.

But this is PURELY on Scott for cutting a known to keep an UNKNOWN player on the roster. Spurlock if he is eligible could have been cut to make way for Crabtree and then would have made the PS(once again, IF eligible) and therefore the play would never have occurred and we would have been within reach for Alex's 3 TDs' to be the difference in a Win or Loss situation.

So would you guys hating on Battle please kindly go see your local cranialrectologist and have your heads removed. Thank you.

~Ceadder

Well, he's a veteran and he should know that if you feel like you can't catch it or it's going to be difficult to catch, just play it safe and let it bounce. You don't lose points if the ball touches the ground. It's a matter of 10 yards of field position. Either he catches it on the 10 or so, or the ball rolls to the 1. Big deal. Better than a turnover leading to 7 points. Battle should know better. Whether it's sun, wind, rain, aliens, ducks, or whatever it is, if you can't catch it, move the hell out of the way.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM ]
Originally posted by B650:
ell, he's a veteran and he should know that if you feel like you can't catch it or it's going to be difficult to catch, just play it safe and let it bounce. You don't lose points if the ball touches the ground. It's a matter of 10 yards of field position. Either he catches it on the 10 or so, or the ball rolls to the 1. Big deal. Better than a turnover leading to 7 points. Battle should know better. Whether it's sun, win, rain, aliens, ducks, or whatever it is, if you can't catch it, move the hell out of the way.

Or Shaun Hill passes...
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

It's on Singletary too. And it's a terrible move whether it's Singletary or Scot.
I'd have to agree...we have a high-priced FA in Brandon Jones who showed why they signed him, then he got hurt. He's got to get on the field...and be yet another playmaker for Alex. When you look at Vernon, Crabtree, Morgan, and Jones, that's a very good receiving group...all guys who'll make plays with Alex at QB. Battle's not good enough to be in that corps any more...it's just that simple. When you call for a fair catch, that's what you have to do...catch the ball. How 'bout we make a trade w/Browns for Cribbs...he's instantly elevate our return game to a very high level.
That was beyond an awful decision to field that punt by Battle and it cost us the game.

I was there, in the endzone about 5 rows back, right behind him as he attempted to catch it. Before the ball was even at it's apex and started coming down, you could see that it was wobbling and would be almost impossible to catch easily and that he would have no running room even if he did catch it.

The ONLY smart thing to do was to call a fair catch, or even to let it go and hope we got a good bounce. But trying to field that wobbler AND run with it was a fumble waiting to happen. It wasn't about good hands or not good hands, or the sun or anything like that. It was a pure bonehead play. You need somebody back there with better instincts as a kick returner.

If I could tell, from the seats, several seconds before it was caught (or attempted to be caught) that it needed to be a fair catch, then the guy we are paying to field punts damn well better be able to do the same thing.

He had NO BUSINESS AT ALL trying to catch and run with that kick and it is the difference between winning and losing today.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
That was beyond an awful decision to field that punt by Battle and it cost us the game.

I was there, in the endzone about 5 rows back, right behind him as he attempted to catch it. Before the ball was even at it's apex and started coming down, you could see that it was wobbling and would be almost impossible to catch easily and that he would have no running room even if he did catch it.

The ONLY smart thing to do was to call a fair catch, or even to let it go and hope we got a good bounce. But trying to field that wobbler AND run with it was a fumble waiting to happen. It wasn't about good hands or not good hands, or the sun or anything like that. It was a pure bonehead play. You need somebody back there with better instincts as a kick returner.

If I could tell, from the seats, several seconds before it was caught (or attempted to be caught) that it needed to be a fair catch, then the guy we are paying to field punts damn well better be able to do the same thing.

He had NO BUSINESS AT ALL trying to catch and run with that kick and it is the difference between winning and losing today.

he did call for a fair catch
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Sure didn't look like it standing behind him. Maybe at the last minute, he kind of waved, I haven't seen the replay. But the defenders were on him and it looked like he was trying to return the kick. If he did, he did it last minute and wasn't ready for the catch and didn't have the "halo" he should have because the defenders were closing in on him.

If he did, it was a piss poor job, he should have been ready for that ball long before he was, you can't wait that long to make up your mind.
He shouldn't have even touched it, if you are having trouble seeing it just let it go..that pretty much cost us the game.

I can't believe we cut Rossum with no plan B...pathetic. Singletary wants winners..wtf does he see in Battle or Spurlock??
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:37 AM ]

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Sure didn't look like it standing behind him. Maybe at the last minute, he kind of waved, I haven't seen the replay. But the defenders were on him and it looked like he was trying to return the kick. If he did, he did it last minute and wasn't ready for the catch and didn't have the "halo" he should have because the defenders were closing in on him.

If he did, it was a piss poor job, he should have been ready for that ball long before he was, you can't wait that long to make up your mind.

last sec nope he was fair catching it all the way he just F'd up

calls for the fair catch at 5 sec at 8 sec into the vid he muffs it
video lowlight
Me da lastima por que el siempre tenia que luchar para que este en el equipo. Pero como ya tenemos otros receivers que ya mejor. Le deseo suerte con otro equipol Tenemos que darle chanca a Jones o a J. Hill.

video lowlight

Ah, I see what happened now. Because he had to move about 5 yards back and to his right to field the ball, it looked like he was trying to grab it and run. It was just a terrible read on the ball, and given how deep it was and how much he had to move, he should have just let the thing go. It probably would have gone into the endzone, and if not, even a punt would obviously have been better than the result.

On the plus side, if we were only down by 14 at the half, who knows if we make the QB change and even have a chance in the game. We still need a MUCH better option for kick returns though.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Me da lastima por que el siempre tenia que luchar para que este en el equipo. Pero como ya tenemos otros receivers que ya mejor. Le deseo suerte con otro equipol Tenemos que darle chanca a Jones o a J. Hill.

Yeah, what he said
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

video lowlight

Ah, I see what happened now. Because he had to move about 5 yards back and to his right to field the ball, it looked like he was trying to grab it and run. It was just a terrible read on the ball, and given how deep it was and how much he had to move, he should have just let the thing go. It probably would have gone into the endzone, and if not, even a punt would obviously have been better than the result.

On the plus side, if we were only down by 14 at the half, who knows if we make the QB change and even have a chance in the game. We still need a MUCH better option for kick returns though.

Here’s what puzzles me.

Is he good in practice? Does he just choke in game day situations?

This is what the 9ers have done.

First three games punt return yards with Rossum
91 yards

Last three games punt return yards with Battle
5 yards 3 fumbles

So they cut Rossum and keep Spurlock on the roster but Spurlock and Jason Hill were inactive yesterday???????????????
Share 49ersWebzone