LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

singletary MAKING BIG MISTAKES.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
This thread is a mistake, and so are you.

Why? Because he has a differing opinion from you?

It looks like about 90% of the board does.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
If you bring in Lebron James and you already have Caron Butler playing small forward I'm pretty sure you put in Lebron A.S.A.P. God people do you know ANYTHING about football. Crabtree is better then Morgan and Morgan has got all the chances in the world he's dropped a touchdown and ran a lazy catch to the goal line when he should have scored. You put the best people on the field I don't care about chemistry if you have a weak point. That's like saying put Barry Sims at left tackle and sit Staley because they have better chemistry omg SHUT er up rookie. You obviously do not understand football and you will see this Sunday that our team will have a gameplan and we will play a great football game and don't be suprised if Crabtree gets in the endzone, I sure won't.

p.s. I hope Singletary uses all his timeouts in the first drive and points at the screen and says hey webzone fans, EAT IT!

There is NO WAY that Crabtree knows the amount of playbook that a starter should. 2 mistakes from a 2nd year player doesn't negate the fact that Crabtree does not, and can not know the plabook. PERIOD!

Singletary has stated from day one that players will EARN their playing time.....how exactly has Crabtree done that? By catching some passes from Alex Smith during the bye? I don't think so. So now EVERY player that was buying into that BS line now see's that EARNING your play time is not the case. That all the rah rah Singeltary has been blowing up their rears is just that, smoke being blown up their rears.

Singletary better hope the team doesn't decide to hold HIM accountable for his decisions the way he does them, or he may have some difficult questions to answer.

Think about things from a different POV for just a moment

Do you think the Yorks want to see their new big shot multi-million dollar toy EARNING his time? Doubt it. Football is a business first and foremost and the Yorks are business people. I'm sure there was considerable pressure on the coaching staff over the bye week to make sure Crabtree was in position to be on the field as early and a much as possible.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility that Singletary didn't make this discussion on his own, it doesn't exactly seem like his MO. Remember Sing doesn't have the same freedom that Nolan had during his first 3 years.

He's pretty much calling the shots on personnel and who gets playing time though.

Which is why everyone should stop jumping to conclusions on Crabtree starting. All starting means is that you line up during the initial series of the game. I've watched several interviews with Sing so far this week where he's been quoted saying that Josh will probably get more plays that Crabtree. I think the whole Crabtree starting thing is more of a publicity stunt then an actual major move. We will just have to wait and see.

Here's a link basically saying what I was getting at
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/San-Francisco-49ers-rsquo-Morgan-getting-more-p?urn=nfl,197547

Try to minimize the importance of being labled "starter" all you want, however THATS what these players strive to be. Regardless of playing time, being labled as "starter" means something to these players. GOOD players have left teams and gone on to others because of who is labled as starter and who is not, regardless of explained or predicted playing time.

Don't say it doesn't matter who starts, cause it does.

Well the players seem to be singing a different tune. Nobody challenged the point I made about football being a business first. Check your hurt feelings at to door.

So instead of continueing our deiscussion you take to making assumptions about my emotional state huh? It's ok to feel like you lost an argument, no need to project about my feelings.....

By the way, 2 WR's have made comments that weren't exactly with a smile in regards to Crabtree.....

You are just plain wrong Esco. It may not be a big deal to you or me or any other fan, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't matter to the players who is labled as starter and who is not, you are more nieve then your posting makes you appear to be, although I doubt that personally. I think you are simply defending an ill conceived argument at this point.

I don't think you've even properly identified his argument.

Your original assertion was that Crabtree couldn't possibly know the playbook to the extent that a starter should. First of all, that's an assumption on your end. Secondly, this is a relative point. What is his knowledge of the playbook compared to Morgan's? Neither of us know that, but you're making definitive statements on the subject. Furthermore, knowledge of the playbook is inextricable from talent level. Knowing the playbook and executing it at a high level are not one and the same.

You're also painting the situation with a broad brush, regarding people you've never met. You say that "being a starter matters to these guys". Do all football players have the same attitude on the subject? Do you know Josh Morgan?

All Esco was saying was that in reality, Morgan's playing time MAY not be greatly impacted by the move, and that no one outside of Brandon Jones and people on message boards have made a big deal out of this. He also said that there MAY be more to the equation than just Singletary's influence (York reference).

On the other hand you are making definitive-yet-general statements about people you don't know, and situations that you have no access to. THAT is an ill conceived argument.

Morgan HAS made comments that if diagnosed certainly appear to not be in support of his demotion. I like your analysis LA, but Esco doesn't need your protection here, so your attempt to confuse with logic is unwarranted. You know and I know that MOST NFL players care whether they are starting or not, if they feel they are indeed starters.

We also know Singletary has touted his "accountability and hard work" idenity from the get go, which MOST people, experts included, point to as the catalyst for the early success, so why is now ok to promote someone who has NOT been accountable, nor has he been around to work hard?

I mean other then being talented at the college lvl, what exactly has Crabtree done in 2 weeks time to warrant being promoted?

Just to be clear about the last comment I made to you, "Check your hurt feelings at to door" wasn't referring to you. I meant that NFL players feels need to be checked because this game is a business first.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
First four weeks, Pep Rally TOs are Ok. One loss, they're bad.

I dont mind criticism, but I hate the timing around here.
The thread is wonderfully horrific.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
This thread is a mistake, and so are you.

Why? Because he has a differing opinion from you?

It looks like about 90% of the board does.

I'm part of that 90%. With the exceptions of hiring Raye and not getting a top-shelf quarterback, I think Singletary has been very good for this team. Particularly the defense.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
If you bring in Lebron James and you already have Caron Butler playing small forward I'm pretty sure you put in Lebron A.S.A.P. God people do you know ANYTHING about football. Crabtree is better then Morgan and Morgan has got all the chances in the world he's dropped a touchdown and ran a lazy catch to the goal line when he should have scored. You put the best people on the field I don't care about chemistry if you have a weak point. That's like saying put Barry Sims at left tackle and sit Staley because they have better chemistry omg SHUT er up rookie. You obviously do not understand football and you will see this Sunday that our team will have a gameplan and we will play a great football game and don't be suprised if Crabtree gets in the endzone, I sure won't.

p.s. I hope Singletary uses all his timeouts in the first drive and points at the screen and says hey webzone fans, EAT IT!

There is NO WAY that Crabtree knows the amount of playbook that a starter should. 2 mistakes from a 2nd year player doesn't negate the fact that Crabtree does not, and can not know the plabook. PERIOD!

Singletary has stated from day one that players will EARN their playing time.....how exactly has Crabtree done that? By catching some passes from Alex Smith during the bye? I don't think so. So now EVERY player that was buying into that BS line now see's that EARNING your play time is not the case. That all the rah rah Singeltary has been blowing up their rears is just that, smoke being blown up their rears.

Singletary better hope the team doesn't decide to hold HIM accountable for his decisions the way he does them, or he may have some difficult questions to answer.

Think about things from a different POV for just a moment

Do you think the Yorks want to see their new big shot multi-million dollar toy EARNING his time? Doubt it. Football is a business first and foremost and the Yorks are business people. I'm sure there was considerable pressure on the coaching staff over the bye week to make sure Crabtree was in position to be on the field as early and a much as possible.

While I'm not ruling out the possibility that Singletary didn't make this discussion on his own, it doesn't exactly seem like his MO. Remember Sing doesn't have the same freedom that Nolan had during his first 3 years.

He's pretty much calling the shots on personnel and who gets playing time though.

Which is why everyone should stop jumping to conclusions on Crabtree starting. All starting means is that you line up during the initial series of the game. I've watched several interviews with Sing so far this week where he's been quoted saying that Josh will probably get more plays that Crabtree. I think the whole Crabtree starting thing is more of a publicity stunt then an actual major move. We will just have to wait and see.

Here's a link basically saying what I was getting at
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/San-Francisco-49ers-rsquo-Morgan-getting-more-p?urn=nfl,197547

Try to minimize the importance of being labled "starter" all you want, however THATS what these players strive to be. Regardless of playing time, being labled as "starter" means something to these players. GOOD players have left teams and gone on to others because of who is labled as starter and who is not, regardless of explained or predicted playing time.

Don't say it doesn't matter who starts, cause it does.

Well the players seem to be singing a different tune. Nobody challenged the point I made about football being a business first. Check your hurt feelings at to door.

So instead of continueing our deiscussion you take to making assumptions about my emotional state huh? It's ok to feel like you lost an argument, no need to project about my feelings.....

By the way, 2 WR's have made comments that weren't exactly with a smile in regards to Crabtree.....

You are just plain wrong Esco. It may not be a big deal to you or me or any other fan, but if you think for a moment that it doesn't matter to the players who is labled as starter and who is not, you are more nieve then your posting makes you appear to be, although I doubt that personally. I think you are simply defending an ill conceived argument at this point.

I don't think you've even properly identified his argument.

Your original assertion was that Crabtree couldn't possibly know the playbook to the extent that a starter should. First of all, that's an assumption on your end. Secondly, this is a relative point. What is his knowledge of the playbook compared to Morgan's? Neither of us know that, but you're making definitive statements on the subject. Furthermore, knowledge of the playbook is inextricable from talent level. Knowing the playbook and executing it at a high level are not one and the same.

You're also painting the situation with a broad brush, regarding people you've never met. You say that "being a starter matters to these guys". Do all football players have the same attitude on the subject? Do you know Josh Morgan?

All Esco was saying was that in reality, Morgan's playing time MAY not be greatly impacted by the move, and that no one outside of Brandon Jones and people on message boards have made a big deal out of this. He also said that there MAY be more to the equation than just Singletary's influence (York reference).

On the other hand you are making definitive-yet-general statements about people you don't know, and situations that you have no access to. THAT is an ill conceived argument.

Morgan HAS made comments that if diagnosed certainly appear to not be in support of his demotion. I like your analysis LA, but Esco doesn't need your protection here, so your attempt to confuse with logic is unwarranted. You know and I know that MOST NFL players care whether they are starting or not, if they feel they are indeed starters.

We also know Singletary has touted his "accountability and hard work" idenity from the get go, which MOST people, experts included, point to as the catalyst for the early success, so why is now ok to promote someone who has NOT been accountable, nor has he been around to work hard?

I mean other then being talented at the college lvl, what exactly has Crabtree done in 2 weeks time to warrant being promoted?

Just to be clear about the last comment I made to you, "Check your hurt feelings at to door" wasn't referring to you. I meant that NFL players feels need to be checked because this game is a business first.

I took it wrong then, my mistake.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Funny how the trolls only come out after the loss.

-9fA
SD, you have confused opinion with fact.
The argument that Crabtree shouln't get much time because he doesn't know the playbook is like saying Braylon Edwards should have sat out the first few games with the Jets while he learned their playbook. The fact is you want your best weapons on the field. I can't imagine Crabtree knows the playbook as well as Morgan, but the coaches obviously think that despite his late arrival, he still has some play-making ability that would be a waste if he were to be on the sideline.

Of course Singletary has to worry about how any preferential treatment might affect the rest of the team, but if Crabtree produces, no one will question it. Then again if he doesn't produce, Singletary needs to pull him back.

At this point we can't judge either way. We'll know more on Sunday (if the O-Line and Hill execute) and will continue to learn more with every week. Singletary IS taking a chance by throwing Crabtree into the mix right away, but he obviously thinks it's a risk worth taking. I'd rather have that kind of a coach than one not willing to take a risk when the outcome could help the team. Of course, as I said, whether this risk pays off remains to be seen.

Singletary is a dynamic coach who does things differently than what we're used to seeing from other NFL coaches. He takes some risks and pays for it at times. He's also very new at this and is continuing to learn. And that's what's most important- that he learns from the mistakes he makes. This team is not going to win it all this year (barring something miraculous), so right about now I welcome Singletary's risk-taking and learning.

Up until this last game, as a fan you had to be impressed with the team's (well at least the defense's) new-found inspired play. If we can see more of that along with more maturity and consistent execution, Singletary could be building something special. We definitely have lots of room for improvement in all areas, but let's not be so quick to label a decision bad because we're a long way from knowing how this story will end. I certainly prefer this to a coach who doesn't make adjustments despite obvious flaws. Have a little patience, because Singletary inherited a bad team. Change takes time (whether it be bad team to good team or HOF LB to NFL head coach) and that's whet we've got to give Singletary.

I have got a weird feeling that singletary is going to lose his locker room because of the crab situation.
I feel that the big mistake Singletary is making is his misguided belief in fundamental football.

They keep saying they need to get back to fundamentals during the bye week but they still are not grasping the entire fundamental premise for this offense.

Why do we run the ball?
So that we can have success passing the ball.

Why are we not having success passing the ball?
Because we are not running the ball well.

Sooner or later, Singletary needs to guide Raye into a different direction, that is also fundamental. Maybe not relying heavily on the play action and sprinting Hill on his drop back, shifting the line in his direction to create a little more time.

Fundamentals isn't about how simple or complicated the play is. Fundamental is doing what works while using the proper technique while doing this. So far, we have proper technique, but the plan isn't working.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Funny how the trolls only come out after the loss.

-9fA
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I do have a big problem with PEP RALLY TIMEOUTS. That should be ZERO. PEP RALLY's are for practice. Game timeouts are to stop the clock at the end of half or end of game or for challenges.

Yelling at other teams players is well below HC material.

It's not like we are wasting them like Mike Martz. I agree with what you are saying but both times they where needed. Basically Singletary sees us losing momentum and falling apart and he tried to stop it. Nothing wrong with using them to try to turn around the game.

The timeouts WERE NOT NEEDED! A complete waste. Timeouts are for:

~ End of half.
~ End of game.
~ Challenges.

That is it period. If a HC doesn't know that he shouldn't be HC.

at this post..... Timeouts maybe for those three things, but they have been used for various reason through out football history.... I LOVE THE WAY SINGLETARY chooses to use ours.....

you my look at it as a Pep talk.... I look at it as situations were our defense looked tired and were giving up considerable yardage......so a timeout to rest them and at the same time rest them mentally for a short period of time, while reminding them what the situation is and what to look out for....is very necessary, I don't expect our Defense to play Perfect all the time.

like I have said before Atlanta's coach Smith made a wonderful decision to call for a playaction and a deep pass after that timeout..... he knew that the 9er defense wanted to make a play bad for each other and coach....and were most likely going to be aggressive.......so I think everyone on Defense learned from that play....in the future, yes SD we are still going to use those types of time outs, in the future I'm sure they will look out for a misdirection play after those types of time outs.....

When did Bill Walsh ever use timeouts like use? When did Jimmy Johnson ever use timeouts like this?

If he wants to be the motivational PEP RALLY guy mabye he can be our MASCOT instead of our HC. I'm calling rediculous when I see it. It's absurd they way he uses timeouts and he WILL COST US GAMES!

SanDiego,

I must laugh at the way that you incite the board. You have always been negative but your original and repeated use of "PEP RALLY" as the definitive adjective for the coach's timeout's just shows how little you really know. Wait, it actually perfectly captures your bias against Sing, the Yorks, the 49'ers, and whomever.

Because you describe it as a "PEP RALLY" timeout, that's what it is? That says to me that you have never played football (likely any TEAM sport for that matter) as you clearly do not get it. The two examples cited in this thread have yielded mixed; one good an one bad result...but you keep calling it a PEP RALLY timeout.

Has anyone ever said to you "Hey, wait a second and think about what you are doing (or about to do, or where you are or whatever)?. Maybe in your case not, because you seem to be fairly close to all-knowing and omniscient.

Any good leader will keep his/her fingers on the pulse of the team being led and occasionally ask for a quick check on status, focus, whatever, to insure that the TEAM is focused on the immediate task at hand.

Does it always work? Not always, but from experience, it helps. Maybe you ought to check your 'focus' (or have a PEP RALLY with yourself), see if your TEAM (of one or two, I am sure) can maintain their focus to accomplish the task at hand, whatever TF yours is.

PS - my apologies to other posters in this thread for quoting something on the 2nd page...I am too tired to read all of the drivel to get to the end...
Originally posted by nyfl9erfan:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I do have a big problem with PEP RALLY TIMEOUTS. That should be ZERO. PEP RALLY's are for practice. Game timeouts are to stop the clock at the end of half or end of game or for challenges.

Yelling at other teams players is well below HC material.

It's not like we are wasting them like Mike Martz. I agree with what you are saying but both times they where needed. Basically Singletary sees us losing momentum and falling apart and he tried to stop it. Nothing wrong with using them to try to turn around the game.

The timeouts WERE NOT NEEDED! A complete waste. Timeouts are for:

~ End of half.
~ End of game.
~ Challenges.

That is it period. If a HC doesn't know that he shouldn't be HC.

at this post..... Timeouts maybe for those three things, but they have been used for various reason through out football history.... I LOVE THE WAY SINGLETARY chooses to use ours.....

you my look at it as a Pep talk.... I look at it as situations were our defense looked tired and were giving up considerable yardage......so a timeout to rest them and at the same time rest them mentally for a short period of time, while reminding them what the situation is and what to look out for....is very necessary, I don't expect our Defense to play Perfect all the time.

like I have said before Atlanta's coach Smith made a wonderful decision to call for a playaction and a deep pass after that timeout..... he knew that the 9er defense wanted to make a play bad for each other and coach....and were most likely going to be aggressive.......so I think everyone on Defense learned from that play....in the future, yes SD we are still going to use those types of time outs, in the future I'm sure they will look out for a misdirection play after those types of time outs.....

When did Bill Walsh ever use timeouts like use? When did Jimmy Johnson ever use timeouts like this?

If he wants to be the motivational PEP RALLY guy mabye he can be our MASCOT instead of our HC. I'm calling rediculous when I see it. It's absurd they way he uses timeouts and he WILL COST US GAMES!

SanDiego,

I must laugh at the way that you incite the board. You have always been negative but your original and repeated use of "PEP RALLY" as the definitive adjective for the coach's timeout's just shows how little you really know. Wait, it actually perfectly captures your bias against Sing, the Yorks, the 49'ers, and whomever.

Because you describe it as a "PEP RALLY" timeout, that's what it is? That says to me that you have never played football (likely any TEAM sport for that matter) as you clearly do not get it. The two examples cited in this thread have yielded mixed; one good an one bad result...but you keep calling it a PEP RALLY timeout.

Has anyone ever said to you "Hey, wait a second and think about what you are doing (or about to do, or where you are or whatever)?. Maybe in your case not, because you seem to be fairly close to all-knowing and omniscient.

Any good leader will keep his/her fingers on the pulse of the team being led and occasionally ask for a quick check on status, focus, whatever, to insure that the TEAM is focused on the immediate task at hand.

Does it always work? Not always, but from experience, it helps. Maybe you ought to check your 'focus' (or have a PEP RALLY with yourself), see if your TEAM (of one or two, I am sure) can maintain their focus to accomplish the task at hand, whatever TF yours is.

PS - my apologies to other posters in this thread for quoting something on the 2nd page...I am too tired to read all of the drivel to get to the end...

Another good post from a new guy. There is hope for the future of Niner Talk.
Share 49ersWebzone