LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

49er Vocabulary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Best Chance to Win - All the time watching the 49ers, I never heard a coach utter this phrase "He gives us our best chance to win." until Nolan was coach. Now I have heard Singletary utter the same phrase. To me this phrase signals a lack of confidence especially if expressed to players. I am not sure who in the NFL started this phrase, but it's getting old.

Nolan Guy - Certain players in the Nolan Era were classified as "Nolan Guys" meaning they got along with or were the coach's favorite. Do we now have Singletary Guys? It's obvious that there are some players on the team, Jason Hill, for example, that are not Singletary Guys. Shaun Hill is obviously a Singletary Guy.

Nolanesque - This season we undoubtedly are comparing decisions Coach Singletary makes and compare them to Mike Nolan. One example, the 3rd and 6 at Minnesota and decision to run. Most of us would characterize this play as Nolanesque.

Poched Kick - Basically a missed field goal that should have been made, named after former 49er Owen Pochman.
Nolan was also big on adversity
Singletary has common words:

hit, people, mouth, winners, etc
  • B650
  • Veteran
Duck -- A forward pass fired by our starting QB, Shaun Hill, in which the ball seems to travel at a duck-like pace, wobbling back and forth until it lands harmlessly at one of our high-priced, underplayed WR's feet.

Example: That pass was a duck.

Got Romaned -- Slang for getting lost in coverage and being about 2 or 3 steps too slow, then putting your hands up in the air as if someone else in the secondary made the mistake.

Example: Man, Clements just got Romaned by Roddy White.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM ]
Football move: a move that is made out of the context of a play designed on paper. A cousin of, He Gambled and got burn but A Football Move is the good cousin. Seriously, they are playing um football.

He made a football move.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Best Chance to Win - All the time watching the 49ers, I never heard a coach utter this phrase "He gives us our best chance to win." until Nolan was coach. Now I have heard Singletary utter the same phrase. To me this phrase signals a lack of confidence especially if expressed to players. I am not sure who in the NFL started this phrase, but it's getting old.

Nolan Guy - Certain players in the Nolan Era were classified as "Nolan Guys" meaning they got along with or were the coach's favorite. Do we now have Singletary Guys? It's obvious that there are some players on the team, Jason Hill, for example, that are not Singletary Guys. Shaun Hill is obviously a Singletary Guy.

Nolanesque - This season we undoubtedly are comparing decisions Coach Singletary makes and compare them to Mike Nolan. One example, the 3rd and 6 at Minnesota and decision to run. Most of us would characterize this play as Nolanesque.

Poched Kick - Basically a missed field goal that should have been made, named after former 49er Owen Pochman.

Sing also never said he'd follow Hill off a bridge if that is the direction he is going. Sing will yank him if he doesn't improve and start making plays. He also said Crabtree gives us the best chance to win which is code name for 'he is playing and I don't want to upset the locker room.' That is the only reason it was Morgan and not Bruce. Besides, by the end of the year it's Crabs, Morgan, Jones, Davis.

If I were to categorize Singletary guys I would name Willis and Takeo. Sing is a defensive guy and those guys fit the bill. He's shown on offense that he isn't afraid to yank someone and I'm guessing he wouldn't mind putting another QB in either if Hill starts to slide.

As far as playcalling we really don't know yet. The season is still young and Gore was injured. His moves up to this point have been conservative but not boneheaded by any means. We were basically stopping Minnesota in that game and the drive before we nearly had a pick 6. It was smart to just run the clock down. When it doesn't pay off it's criticized and when it does it's commended.
Cure for Insomnia - This term is based upon the longest movie ever made at 87 hours. In terms of 49ers vocabulary we apply this our pass rush - allowing opposing QBs to watch this film in its entirety prior to throwing the ball each play.

Last game, the 49ers provided Matt Ryan with a Cure for Insomnia.
[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:27 AM ]
  • flow
  • Veteran
Oooh... this thread is beyond brilliant.

[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:36 AM ]
ALEXCUSE - a term used to categorize the reasons why 49er QB Alex Smith has not materialized into the full-fledged signal caller he was drafted to be.

EXAMPLE - "To think that the 49ers having five different coordinators in five years has hindered Alex Smith's development is just another Alexcuse."
SUCK - What the 49ers have been doing for years and years and what they will continue to do despite false hope.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
SUCK - What the 49ers have been doing for years and years and what they will continue to do despite false hope.

Really? That's the first and most insightful thing you could think of? Really?
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM ]

Wow..and you call yourself a 49er fan?? I understand the point of the thread but seriously??

Everytime you post on Niner talk its always about how bad we are and how much we suck... If you actually think that then stop posting on this board and go jump on the bandwagon of the Broncos or Chargers...I'm sick of fans like you

Your pathetic man
Originally posted by artiga1:

Wow..and you call yourself a 49er fan?? I understand the point of the thread but seriously??

Everytime you post on Niner talk its always about how bad we are and how much we suck... If you actually think that then stop posting on this board and go jump on the bandwagon of the Broncos or Chargers...I'm sick of fans like you

Your pathetic man

Well are we good? It doesn't look that way to me.

Your pathetic man

I hate super negativity just as much as anyone

but I've never understood the whole "your not a fan if your negative" or "go root for another team" type responses

makes no sense
[ Edited by RonMexico on Oct 22, 2009 at 4:00 AM ]
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Your pathetic man

on the other hand sandiego49er only comes out to play after we lose, like a b***h.

I hate super negativity just as much as anyone

but I've never understood the whole "your not a fan if your negative" or "go root for another team" type responses

makes no sense
Share 49ersWebzone