Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Can Shaun Hill bullet a ball to a receiver?

A lot of strong armed crap QB's that are out of this league can.
Well I'm just wondering because with Crabtrees catching ability I think it would be beneficial for our QB to be able to bullet a pass in so that the chances of it being intercepted are super low.

Yah, tell that to Brett Favre who also holds the league record for INT's.

That is because he would try and force things in his younger days. Hill still tries to force things into double and triple coverage with his duck passes.

And do they picked off??

According to you he can throw all the interceptions in the world as long as we are winning. Why change it? remember

True I said that, I don't deny it. I would rather be 14-2 with a QB who threw 20 picks, than go 2-14 with a QB who threw 20 TD's. Can't speak for everyone, its just my opinion.

If the QB threw 20 TD's then more than likely it is the defense that is the issue

Well can't really pin point and factor in on a imaginary team can you, in the end it would be your opinion and mine disagreeing with each other. But W's are W's and I would take them anyway then came, I could careless if they were pretty or not.

No but I can pinpoint a factor on a real team.

Good for you, but in the end, like I said, I'll take W's whether they are pretty or not, can't say the same for the rest of you.

Well I'm just wondering because with Crabtrees catching ability I think it would be beneficial for our QB to be able to bullet a pass in so that the chances of it being intercepted are super low.

That is because he would try and force things in his younger days. Hill still tries to force things into double and triple coverage with his duck passes.

And do they picked off??

According to you he can throw all the interceptions in the world as long as we are winning. Why change it? remember

True I said that, I don't deny it. I would rather be 14-2 with a QB who threw 20 picks, than go 2-14 with a QB who threw 20 TD's. Can't speak for everyone, its just my opinion.

If the QB threw 20 TD's then more than likely it is the defense that is the issue

Well can't really pin point and factor in on a imaginary team can you, in the end it would be your opinion and mine disagreeing with each other. But W's are W's and I would take them anyway then came, I could careless if they were pretty or not.

Good for you, but in the end, like I said, I'll take W's whether they are pretty or not, can't say the same for the rest of you.

yea but currently the W's are against weak teams. When we play real teams if the defense is struggling the offense does NOT have the ability to stay in or to win the game. But hey as long as the defense is winning the games lets not worry about a struggling offense

And do they picked off??

We're only 3-2 and Hill has have very little to do with the three wins, if anything at all. In 2000 the Ravens may not even make the playoffs if they don't make a change at QB when they did, even though they had a winning record. But they did and they did it in time to still make the playoffs and go on to win the Superbowl.

If it were ANY position other than QB not one of you would have a problem with making a change at this point in the season after watching five games of sub-par play in a row. Why should it be any different for the QB? Especially one named Shaun Hill that has proved nothing in the NFL and is playing as bad through five games as any other starting QB (except maybe Russell or Anderson).
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

And do they picked off??

yea but currently the W's are against weak teams. When we play real teams if the defense is struggling the offense does NOT have the ability to stay in or to win the game. But hey as long as the defense is winning the games lets not worry about a struggling offense

Down talk or disagree with my opinion as much as you like, but like I said, a W is a W.

And do they picked off??

Down talk or disagree with my opinion as much as you like, but like I said, a W is a W.

Ahhh, another Bush voter.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

And do they picked off??

And when those W's turn to L's as they surely will then what?, The Top Ramen Kid would have been ok if Sing's plan to run had worked or if the D was lights out every week, it's not working time to empty the trash, They are 3-2 and very likely going to be 3-4 in 2 weeks if Hill doesn't show something resembling an NFL Qb by then you could officially call him a 30 year old bust
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ermj:

And do they picked off??

And when those W's turn to L's as they surely will then what?, The Top Ramen Kid would have been ok if Sing's plan to run had worked or if the D was lights out every week, it's not working time to empty the trash, They are 3-2 and very likely going to be 3-4 in 2 weeks if Hill doesn't show something resembling an NFL Qb by then you could officially call him a 30 year old bust

Well in time wouldn't the O-line and running game have to improve along with Hill?? Or are you just stuck on Hill is never going to get better?? Like I said in past threads, if the O-line and running game is fully functional, and Hill is losing games for us, then make the switch. But until then, I'm happy the way the W's come.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gavintech:

And do they picked off??

We're only 3-2 and Hill has have very little to do with the three wins, if anything at all. In 2000 the Ravens may not even make the playoffs if they don't make a change at QB when they did, even though they had a winning record. But they did and they did it in time to still make the playoffs and go on to win the Superbowl.

If it were ANY position other than QB not one of you would have a problem with making a change at this point in the season after watching five games of sub-par play in a row. Why should it be any different for the QB? Especially one named Shaun Hill that has proved nothing in the NFL and is playing as bad through five games as any other starting QB (except maybe Russell or Anderson).

Well, look at our 3-2 record, and I agree, no position should be different IF they are costing us the game. Now, looking at Shaun Hill's single performance, has he continue to lose games for us, or some how help contributing in a way??
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
I'm not sure how much Crabtree can help Shaun Hill, given we have the SAME OLINE!
If Shaun fails to perform as per expectations (whatever that is), we are basically going to rely on a highly paid "backup". I'm not sure how that would be a good thing for the 49ers. Alex = nice guy, below avg QB
This season, this roster, for the sake of the 49ers and fans, let's hope Shaun Hill plays well.
Next season, well, we can hope for a new beginning with a long term QB.

Yea cause Hill isn't a nice guy but a below average QB

One thing that Hill has, and Alex doesn't, is heart. The entire offseason was available for evaluation, and Hill was chosen for a reason by the people who are in this business for a living. Could they be wrong? well, sure, why not.
Anyways, it's a free world, just my opinion.

And you came to this conclusion how? I swear that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen here on these forums. The guy had a third degree separation of his throwing arm, one of the worst and most painful injuries you can try to play with as a quarterback, and he still answered the bell. So how is that lacking in heart? Hill misses games due to a finger injury, does that show more heart? I do not think you know what you are talking about on the subject. Don't let your personal feelings about the quarterback situation cloud your ability to reason. There probably isn't one person on the team with more heart than Smith, or more of a team player for that matter. knock him for his sub par play all you like, if you cannot wrap your mind around the reasons he has struggled, but if you are going to criticize at least try to make valid points, not obtuse conjecture.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

And do they picked off??

Well in time wouldn't the O-line and running game have to improve along with Hill?? Or are you just stuck on Hill is never going to get better?? Like I said in past threads, if the O-line and running game is fully functional, and Hill is losing games for us, then make the switch. But until then, I'm happy the way the W's come.

I'm of the opinion that Hill will not get any better than he is , or marginally if the O Line improves and the running game comes around, he's 30 yrs old , he is what he is, just my opinion

And do they picked off??

Hill might not get any better, but the line had better or it won't matter who is playing QB, just like the past 6-7 years. I don't get why we can have a line good at run blocking that can't ever get the pass protection down. Now all these hypocrites that wanted to blame Smith for all the offenses struggles are finally beginning to see how important it is for the QB to have some protection, if it weren't costing us wins I would love rubbing their noses in it. Seriously though, we have to work on the lines in next years draft, screw drafting another unproven QB, either of the QB's we have now will be fine if they get some protection. If we can land Eric Berry, we should jump on him, but after that, or if he is already gone, we should spend every single pick on offensive line and pass rushers/ defensive line. Kiper and McShay say this upcoming draft is deep into the third round with quality in both of those areas.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

And do they picked off??

Hill might not get any better, but the line had better or it won't matter who is playing QB, just like the past 6-7 years. I don't get why we can have a line good at run blocking that can't ever get the pass protection down. Now all these hypocrites that wanted to blame Smith for all the offenses struggles are finally beginning to see how important it is for the QB to have some protection, if it weren't costing us wins I would love rubbing their noses in it. Seriously though, we have to work on the lines in next years draft, screw drafting another unproven QB, either of the QB's we have now will be fine if they get some protection. If we can land Eric Berry, we should jump on him, but after that, or if he is already gone, we should spend every single pick on offensive line and pass rushers/ defensive line. Kiper and McShay say this upcoming draft is deep into the third round with quality in both of those areas.

Can't argue with that, yeah the crack on Smith's heart is hard to comprehend , Hill makes a run and loses his helmet and half the zone wet themselves.Heart can only get you so far at some point talent is needed. Crabtree may be the thing that saves Hill's career, Hill can heave a 5yd out and Crabtree turn it into big yardage, we'll see
Originally posted by WINiner:
Hill should not be benched long as we are able to get to the playoffs. Soon as the numbers say we are out then the experiments can begin.

I don't like Hill as our starting QB. It drives me nuts that so many on this board think he is anywhere near adequate. Having said that, I think he is the best option on our current roster and playing Smith or Davis is throwing in the towel imo.

I have been known to be wrong.

I honestly thought Smith was ruined. He's looking real good today.
Hill should not be benched long as we are able to get to the playoffs. Soon as the numbers say we are out then the experiments can begin.

I don't like Hill as our starting QB. It drives me nuts that so many on this board think he is anywhere near adequate. Having said that, I think he is the best option on our current roster and playing Smith or Davis is throwing in the towel imo.

A little too later, but I like what I saw in Alex Smith. We're limited with Shaun Hill's arm. Maybe a change at the QB position is needed. I welcome it.
Originally posted by LanceQ:

A little too later, but I like what I saw in Alex Smith. We're limited with Shaun Hill's arm. Maybe a change at the QB position is needed. I welcome it.

Yup, today we saw what it looks like to have a QB who can make all the throws and what it does for your offense. If Smith can consistently be this kind of player then we can be in a game vs almost any team. If he had started over Mr. 3 and our I think we would've won.
Share 49ersWebzone