There are 331 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by backontop:
why are so many people crying about this? If it gives the team a better chance to win(which it might or might not) then wouldn't it be a good thing.

Shaun Hill got a new toy. Now, if Hill still can't ball, more changes are needed.

but Hill is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He just had ONE bad game against the Falcons.

And he's still undefeated at home because the Falcons game wasn't his fault.
Originally posted by ninerdaddy:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Is there a reason why morgan and crabtree arent starting? Maybe they should start teaching morgan bruce's position. Bruce hasnt done sh** this year

remember, Morgan knows ALL the WR positions... x, y, and z { up, up, down, down, B, A, B, A} even

Sounds like Contra code to me.

The real question is, has Morgan mastered this yet?

That's probably the extent of Raye's playbook.
It sounds like Sing and the 49er staff are hitting the panic button already. I sure hope they know what they are doing.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i think this is actually great for Morgan, and i think he knows it.

it sends a message to opposing teams that we feel Crabtree is looking THAT good, which will likely cause those defenses to focus on Crab's more, leaving Morgan in the slot to work against a nickelback or even linebackers and safeties..

last year Morgan played very well out of the slot position, he can only be better now than he was last year..

But what about Jones? Hill? Battle? Bruce is delaying the development of our other, younger WRs. All fine and dandy if you can still play, but he hasn't shown he can. He should be relegated to only a 3rd-down WR and maybe help tutor the WRs at this point in my opinion.

Jones i am curious about, but what exactly has he done that Morgan hasn't? Hill i would love to see out there, im maybe one of the biggest Jason Hill fans on this board, but again, what has he done better than Morgan? Battle, we've all seen him, he is a great 3rd down player and picks up 1st downs, but he doesnt make electrifying plays, never wow's you, and has seemed to lose some of those first down marker instincts that we once saw him so valuable for..

Josh Morgan was our most electric receiver last year in a limited role, and now this year, in an offense that is s**t for WR production, with a quarterback who has rarely delivered big plays to receivers you are ready to just jump ship on the guy? you have got to be kidding me.

EDIT: i just noticed you were referring to Isaac Bruce, though i may disagree with making him a 3rd down player only, i would definitely agree with allowing Jones and Hill rotate through that position...

especially Hill, our greatest deep threat, who seems to go forgotten just because he isn't the best blocker...

And I'll comment on your edit too. I think it's ridiculous that Hill isn't getting any playing time because he doesn't block as good. He's a flippin' WR. Get him in the game and let him do his thing. When we need to block, put Walker and Davis out wide as WRs or something. Jesus. Does that mean he shouldn't get ANY playing time?

Sheets. Dude isn't a blocker yet. So they just let him go. I don't know. Why don't we just sign 52 offensive linemen and have them all block. What's next? Nate Davis released because he can't block during reverses?

but that is the crazy thing, Jason Hill is a good blocker.....if not, above good...

I have seen him block well on running plays and I have seen him block well on Special Teams.......we just need to see more of him...

I know it is not expected because of his weight...200lbs....but he is a good blocker

he is good when he puts effort into it..

otherwise he blocks what we would call ''gingerly''

from what ive heard its the only real knock on the guy, he's fast, he attacks the football and he runs great routes, guy goes from being arguably the best WR in the Pac10 during his tenure, on a s**t team with a s**t quarterback, gets to the NFL and gets buried into the depth chart by Nolan, and hasn't been able to escape it due to Morgan, Jones, and now Crabtree..

even after seeing Morgan play, and i love Morgan...having watched Jason Hill in college, i have full confidence in saying if both Morgan and Hill had shots to play with the same elite quarterback, Hill would by far come out the better receiver of the two..
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by ninerdaddy:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Is there a reason why morgan and crabtree arent starting? Maybe they should start teaching morgan bruce's position. Bruce hasnt done sh** this year

remember, Morgan knows ALL the WR positions... x, y, and z { up, up, down, down, B, A, B, A} even

Sounds like Contra code to me.

The real question is, has Morgan mastered this yet?

That's probably the extent of Raye's playbook.

That's being generous. The first run play for Craig isn't up the gut, and the first pass play is a play-action rollout which I have yet to see.

We could actually learn from this.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
It sounds like Sing and the 49er staff are hitting the panic button already. I sure hope they know what they are doing.

Or they are doing the obvious and putting the best guys on the field.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I don't like it. What kind of message does it send to the rest of the team, that a "rookie" can miss all of training camp, the first 4 games of the season and then get to start in game 6? Whatever happened to earning your job? Doesn't seem Singletary like to me.
I really feel bad for Morgan....I hope Crabtree really did impress the coaches this last 2 weeks....otherwise this is the opposite of what Singletary has been preaching. and who knows this whole ship can sink really quick.
Does this make Morgan the #3 WR? And push Battle to the #4 WR

"told yall not to stress (cough)"

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I don't like it. What kind of message does it send to the rest of the team, that a "rookie" can miss all of training camp, the first 4 games of the season and then get to start in game 6? Whatever happened to earning your job? Doesn't seem Singletary like to me.

It's not hard to earn your job when you rank 30th on offense passing the ball. He must like what he sees in practice.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This whole situation raises a bigger question about Morgan. Any good WR would not stick around to teach someone else who is going to take his job. This whole thing reassures what I thought about Morgan, that he truly lacks that competitive desire to be great. If someone is confident in the own ability he would not teach another man to take his especially if that person has not been there throughout the entire year. If I was Morgan I would be pissed and wouldn't teach Crabgreed s**t.

So this is probably a good move because some guys are just content on being average back up players and thats what Morgan is.
im sure crabtree is tearing it up at practice. singletary wouldnt put the guy playing with all his missed time while other wrs busted their asses all tc. crabtree not surprising in my eyes was our best wr since the day he was drafted. now im patiently waiting till the day we pull hill out if he blows in houston. if he sucks by half time f**k it and put smith in. a loss in houston can and probably will give the division to arizona and yet another play off less yr. now only if i can find an excuse to get off damn work on sunday DO NOT WANT TO MISS THE DEBUT
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im sure crabtree is tearing it up at practice. singletary wouldnt put the guy playing with all his missed time while other wrs busted their asses all tc. crabtree not surprising in my eyes was our best wr since the day he was drafted. now im patiently waiting till the day we pull hill out if he blows in houston. if he sucks by half time f**k it and put smith in. a loss in houston can and probably will give the division to arizona and yet another play off less yr. now only if i can find an excuse to get off damn work on sunday DO NOT WANT TO MISS THE DEBUT

Thank God I have a TV at work.
I like this move.

I have said it before and I'll say it again now...I'm not a big fan of Josh Morgan. I don't see what everyone else seems to see with him.

I also have said in the past that I DO like Jason Hill and you can see how well thats worked out for me. LOL. ;-)

Anyway, Morgan just doesn't seem quick or fast, he doesn't get separation and he doesn't seem to break too many tackles. I don't see what everyone likes so much about him.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns into a really good player...I just don't see it right now.

Crabtree tho IS very good after the catch and can block. Maybe Crabtree is exactly what this team needs....a guy who will be open on short routes (so Hill can get him the ball before getting sacked) and can maybe break one with his RAC skill.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone