There are 285 users in the forums

Crabtree to start Sunday?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I don't see this as a demotion for Morgan. He's gonna be in the slot which probably better suits him anyway. This whole #1 or #2 thing isn't really a big deal considering how often teams use multiple WRs.

I also think whichever WR we have in the slot will see more passes his way since we have an inability to pass block long enough for outside routes to develop.

The problem is, we aren't that type of team. We rarely, if ever, use 3 wr sets.

Honestly I think we do use it a lot...but it's so predictable. We rarely ever run when there isn't a FB on the field.

Hill has been in the shotgun A LOT this year with 3 and 4 WRs out there.

You're right. Most of the blame has to fall on Hill for not getting the ball to our WR's IMO.

Or maybe our WR's just suck

And our TE's, RB's, OLine, Head Coach, and OC. Never the QB.
I don't see this as a demotion for Morgan. He's gonna be in the slot which probably better suits him anyway. This whole #1 or #2 thing isn't really a big deal considering how often teams use multiple WRs.

I also think whichever WR we have in the slot will see more passes his way since we have an inability to pass block long enough for outside routes to develop.

Honestly I think we do use it a lot...but it's so predictable. We rarely ever run when there isn't a FB on the field.

You're right. Most of the blame has to fall on Hill for not getting the ball to our WR's IMO.

Dont you know that Shaun Hill is king here in the zone?

Funny how the double-standards work for Hill and Smith.....just sayin

or maybe our OL just sucks!

Did I say that? I hate Hill, I hate Smith. Hill can only do well if he gets protection..and that's almost never. Add our awful play calling & our mediocre WR's and you have a bad offense.....hopefully Crabs can help
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM ]
The one thing that I see constantly from the great QBs is the trust they have on their WRs. They simply let it fly. Most of the time these WRs are covered pretty well so it then becomes the responsibility of the WR to make the play.

IMO, Hill doesn't have time to throw the ball down field so he's checking it down. The one play that says Hill can make the throw is the ONE pass to Bruce for over 50...he led him all the way. However, that is only one pass. Where are the others? Just throw it Hill! Both Alex and Nate have better arms, but Hill still can make the throw, it just goes quack most of the time.

If Hill gets it in the vicinity of Crabtree, it seems 90% of the time he catches whether its low, high, behind, across or anywhere. Time and time again we here he has the longest arms of any WR in the NFL and he has very strong hands, catching everything under the sun.

I think that is why we see him being elevated so quickly. He's just making plays in practice. What will really count is how he does this week with the team. If he's practicing like he did last week, oh we will hear my bros, we will hear it and then some.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Dont you know that Shaun Hill is king here in the zone?

Funny how the double-standards work for Hill and Smith.....just sayin

Is that the double standard that one has a winning record and the other one doesn't? Or the one that throws more TDs than INTs and the other does not? I'm curious about this double standard.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Is that the double standard that one has a winning record and the other one doesn't? Or the one that throws more TDs than INTs and the other does not? I'm curious about this double standard.

What's our record right now? 3-2 with Hill as a starter. If we're 3-3 with another one of his great 1 td games, will you be happy? s**t, we'll probably be 3-4 because I don't see us beating the Colts if we lose to the Texans. If we come out on fire against the Texans, I'll feel a little bit better about the Colts game, but I don't trust our QB so I don't think that will happen.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

What's our record right now? 3-2 with Hill as a starter. If we're 3-3 with another one of his great 1 td games, will you be happy? s**t, we'll probably be 3-4 because I don't see us beating the Colts if we lose to the Texans. If we come out on fire against the Texans, I'll feel a little bit better about the Colts game, but I don't trust our QB so I don't think that will happen.

You really think we stand any chance against the colts? Come on. We cannot afford to lose to the Texans. After the colts we got the titans at home which should be a win. Would feel pretty good if we can come out 5-3 after the next 3 weeks
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Nice sample size, how about the career numbers as a 49er? It's hard to put up gaudy numbers when your OC doesn't call passing plays until the 4th quarter. Hill has had 2 bad games I can remember, one at StL, which we won thanks to him going off in the 4th, and one against ATL which he didn't have much chance because the D couldn't get stops. Are people really clamoring for Alex Smith here? How many good games has he had? One, in which the only play he made was a run off a bootleg.
this is the worst thing sing has done.he is a rookie that just sign a few weeks a ago. i mean how much of the play book has he learned!

• x49ersx123
  • Info N/A
  • B650
  • Veteran

Cutler seems to be doing pretty good with less. It's never the WRs. Good QBs will still perform.
Originally posted by B650:

Cutler seems to be doing pretty good with less. It's never the WRs. Good QBs will still perform.

Like I said earlier Hill isn't a franchise QB, I think we ALL know that, but I'm just saying that on top of Hill not being all that great and our mediocre WR corps plus a s**tty O LINE = very bad offense....Hopefully Crabs will fix our offense
Hill has shown himself to b competent in 2 other offenses wit short notice and I believe we will see him do the same in this one wit these weapons. I honestly can't say the same wit alex thus far though I was pulling 4 him this offseason. He just doesn't show well on gameday. Nate davis however, if he can get his head wrapped around an nfl offense does seem to have the tools and pocket presence to overpower a defense wit some of his throws. He looks to be able to put the ball in the right spot faster than the db can get there but where it needs to be for the receiver to make the play
Originally posted by B650:

Like I said earlier Hill isn't a franchise QB, I think we ALL know that, but I'm just saying that on top of Hill not being all that great and our mediocre WR corps plus a s**tty O LINE = very bad offense....Hopefully Crabs will fix our offense

You said it! s**tty OL. You can have an allstar cast around a s**tty OL and you'll still get crap.
Share 49ersWebzone