There are 174 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by brhokla:
You know what's funny about all this talk? As soon as a guy has a little success everybody is on his nutts claiming he's the reincarnation of some great player. I personally have no doubt that if Alex had gone to Green Bay and learned, watched from Brett F, like A. Rodgers has done that Alex would be doing very good right now. He has had little or no talent around him. Hell, he has had little to NO pass protection since he started as a rookie. NO QB would be a stud with this talent we have had over the last 4-5 years. We are just now starting to get some talent.

Other than Gore, who have we had. VD? He couldn't catch a brick last year, Old man Bruce? Morgan who is a 2nd or 3rd stringer on most teams?

Last year he was hurt. Give the kid a break. If he played for a team like Denver that can pass protect he would be looking like Orton looks right now. I mean, Orton was in and out of the O in Chicago but man, he sure looks good with the Denver O-Line and skill players there. I think Alex would be good in the right system and so far in SF we have had crap for a system. Well, it's been a new system each year for the last 5.

I know these so called NO it all Reporters, Sports people claim this and that but have they evaluated what Alex has had on this team? I don't think so.

Oh but Steve said that the great ones overcome.

I have MAAAAAAAAAD respect for Steve, but he didn't overcome in Tampa. They traded him to Coach Walsh for a song. I think that he's had one too many concussions. Otherwise I don't see him ever stating that.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
This is funny I had to post. AS of an article I read today, One of the trainers who used to be a QB is now throwing to CTree till Hill gets back. Of course he's back now. So right, there was such fabulous chemistry they took Smith off the job and gave it to a trainer who used to be a QB to throw to him.

Imagine if you are Smith and even, tossing the ball to the new guy is taken away because, They don't the WR to get bad habits from catching Smith's balls!!!!!!!!! That's wot I think.. sad, but so true.

I am not definitely saying Hill is the man of the hour, but Smith's talent level is so low, it makes Hill the starter by default. Just ger Davis in I say. If Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan ( the qb who kicked our ass) and Flacco can do it, then Davis can too. Open your eyes, not everyone comes to the NFL from a trick offense without presence.. oh what's the use, it's all been said before..

Bust, he is, bust he is.

Ok then if you don't believe me, there was a great interview MM did with the guy who studies all the NFL game film and then comments for the NFL, this was a few days ago, and to my mind this is THE most scathing review of A Smith's abilities I have EVER read. To wit:

MM:
I know you haven't seen him play in two years, but is there where Alex Smith, because of his arm strength and the better physical tools, might be the better option at quarterback?

Cosell:
"Well, I don't think Alex Smith has particularly good physical tools. Certainly, we know Shaun Hill has an average to below-average NFL arm. You're right, we haven't seen Alex Smith throw in two years, but the last time we did see him throw and even when he came out (of college), I'd say Alex Smith's arm strength was slightly better than average - nothing more. I'm always leery - I know he's a smart kid - but I don't know how much he's learned. I'm not there. When you play in the Urban Meyer offense, and I can tell you for a fact, that when Alex Smith went through his board work for teams coming out of the draft that he had zero clue about NFL route combination's, which is not surprising. Because in Urban Meyer's offense, nobody does. I'm not a big Alex Smith guy. I think he has limited skills and I think he's got limited understanding."

You guys should really.......... GET OVER HIM!!!
I digress..

GO NINERS BEAT THE TAXASSES!!

I read that too. But notice that he didn't ONCE mention Smith as a 9er. It was all re-hashed Urban Meyer BS. So if you're going to give it credence at least acknowledge that and give Smith some credit where it's due.

But hey if you're still butt hurt over Alex's 50 million contract, I understand that too.

As far as a former QB taking over for Smith working with Crabtree, it could be as simple as taking a precautionary measure to keep Smith ready to go in case of Sing's planning on yanking Hill if the man yet AGAIN goes 3 and out over the 1st half of a game.

I think what you don't understand is that Hill is nothing more than a Backup with limited intangibles, a weak pass, cement shoes( at least this season anyway) and what is shaping up to be slightly better than average leadership quality.

All I know is that if Smith gets another chance I hope that he either makes fools of all those who have trashed him, or shows us once and for all that he is not the guy with the same personnel that Hill has had. I think that it give Raye a better QB to open the playbook up with at least. Because it's being severely limited by having Shaun Hill under Center. That's not opinion. That's a straight up cold hard factual reality.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by rapid4:
Damon Bruce commented that if he were Shawn Hill, and he needed to get the offense going, he would damn well have stayed in town to throw to Crabtree.

the whole damn team should've stayed
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I have no doubt smith can make throws on a practice field, with no real pass rush. It's the way he panics when the pocket breaks down that makes him suck. Also, his slow ass release.

He panics? Really? Syber I can show you several games where he didn't panic. He kept drives alive with his feet. And shoot man, if he did panic as you suggest he did, then can you REALLY blame him? Especially after fat @$$ Rocky Bernard came in free an unblocked and did an impression of Jimmy SuperFly Snuka? Not a very good impression but it still put Alex out.

You'd panic too when a 325 lb. guy plants you in the turf. And comparing the two Alex MAY have a slow release (I do believe that he worked on this, but...) , it still will get there faster than ANY lame duck pass that Hill throws. Shoot I think Smith would have time to go to the sideline get a Starbuck's Venti Caramel Mochiato, and throw the ball. Just beating Hill's wounded duck pass.

~Ceadder

Yeah, I don't know. I always thought Smith actually did pretty well under pressure. Through 06 and the start of 07, he had Glass Jennings and Kwame Harris at OT for him with Patrick Estes and Snyder as backups. Larry Allen also was out for six games in 06, which if you don't remember, is why we HAD to use Estes at LT when Jennings got hurt. Another note: In the games Alex started playing hurt in 2007, Jennings had just been lost for the season in the prior game. Yikes. Torn shoulder + No OL as well.

Then looking at his weapons again: Gilmore, Bryant, Taylor Jacobs, Brandon Williams, and Battle -- Wow. It's amazing he was able to do ANYTHING. Then consider 07, he didn't even have Bryant anymore, nor did he have him late in 06 after he got suspended.

Our defense? Sammy Davis? Brandon Moore? Melvin Oliver? Roman? B.J Tucker? Chad Williams? T.J. Slaughter? Holy crap. How did we even win 7 games?! It's remarkable.

This really deserves it's own post, but it'd simply be locked and it wouldn't matter because it has already been discussed -- and ignored.

Anyone that tries to claim the team Hill is currently playing on is comparable in ANY way, shape, or form to Alex's teams.. They're completely wrong. Alex wouldn't be defended if there was no valid reasoning. Simple reasoning such as stated above is an enormous part of why there is such strong belief that Alex could succeed after managing to accomplish seemingly a spectacular feat, considering what he had to work with when one truly looks at it all, from offense to defense to coaching.

Fans are just unreal to themselves if they can't see Shaun Hill has LIMITED POTENTIAL...PERIOD. Alex on the other hand can atleast prove us something,he can go in with the weapons we have which he's never had anywhere near what he worked with in the past. He's more mobile so hell have a better chance to avoid sacks. He's wiser,stronger&has a stronger arm. He needs to get a nod with a winning record like this so we can see if he can lead us to the playoffs,the worst that can come out of it is WE KNOW FOR A FACT he couldn't complete the task&have all talks end.

Seeing if Alex can do it once and for all is really all people are asking for. If he can't now, then that's it. It's done. No excuses. Develop Davis, stick it out with Hill, and/or draft another QB. For now, Hill needs to be given the opportunity to rebound. Only if he cannot does Alex see the field. I like Alex, but this is how it needs to be.

As stated, we cannot know for a fact that Alex couldn't do it right now. We just can't. With only one complete season as a starter under his belt, which happened to be with such dramatic improvement while still with an abominably bad supporting cast (read above) all around, it cannot be helped to consider he realistically would have a chance at success if given the opportunity.

Just as Alex would have no excuses with this team. Hill gets NO excuses either. OL, "lack of weapons," poor defensive support. No. No excuses. Not with this team we've got. You go out there and get it done. If you can't, get your tail on the freaking bench.

Back to the topic -- I don't know if Crabtree cares who's throwing it to him, but he sure seems to be a little more.. "close" .. I suppose.. with Alex as far as talking (chatting on the sidelines) and developing a rapport through practice, etc.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
Damon Bruce commented that if he were Shawn Hill, and he needed to get the offense going, he would damn well have stayed in town to throw to Crabtree.

family comes first my friend
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Again its good to hear Alex getting in work, As he should whenever possible. He & Crabz also got work in during OTAs so cool. Should Shaun continue to drop off....Alex gotta get ready. But that all it is.
Not sure if anyone heard the Singletary interview on KNBR earlier, but he specifically said that Crabtree wanted to practice more during the bye week and Crabtree asked Alex to throw to him as well.
[ Edited by Method on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:45 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:

so shaun hill is supposed to sacrifice his only 3 day's off because of crabtree?? Please, getting a couple days to see family and clear your head, is prob more important that helping crabs, who wont do much this season anyway...

no cuz he is leading a terrible offense
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:

You act as if his mom died or something.
if hill goes 3 and out more than 3 times in a row on passes he should have completed i say GTFO!!!!

Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

You act as if his mom died or something.

I would not be surprised if Singletary puts Smith in if Hill comes out and looks crappy. It could happen early on in the game too. Singletary has to know that the reason this team is not 4-1 is this offense, and if there is one thing we have learned about him, its the fact that he is not afraid to make changes in the middle of a game.
Originally posted by brhokla:
You know what's funny about all this talk? As soon as a guy has a little success everybody is on his nutts claiming he's the reincarnation of some great player. I personally have no doubt that if Alex had gone to Green Bay and learned, watched from Brett F, like A. Rodgers has done that Alex would be doing very good right now. He has had little or no talent around him. Hell, he has had little to NO pass protection since he started as a rookie. NO QB would be a stud with this talent we have had over the last 4-5 years. We are just now starting to get some talent.

Other than Gore, who have we had.
VD? He couldn't catch a brick last year, Old man Bruce? Morgan who is a 2nd or 3rd stringer on most teams?

Last year he was hurt. Give the kid a break. If he played for a team like Denver that can pass protect he would be looking like Orton looks right now. I mean, Orton was in and out of the O in Chicago but man, he sure looks good with the Denver O-Line and skill players there. I think Alex would be good in the right system and so far in SF we have had crap for a system. Well, it's been a new system each year for the last 5.

I know these so called NO it all Reporters, Sports people claim this and that but have they evaluated what Alex has had on this team? I don't think so.

I always hear this......but then I think back and remember this...
ignore the early footage when we had T.O. ( I believe starting at 2:14 was our first game after Jeff and T.O. left)

Rattay also had a garbage Oline and a bad defense and even worse WRs, as well as Barlow at RB.... the only difference with what Alex had to deal with was just being young....I believe 22....and that is ALL on Alex because he chose to enter the draft with only 2 years experiences in a College spread type offense. The rest is our fault...the fact that we picked him...the fact that we over payed for him.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
If Norv gets fires in SD, I would love to see what he could do with Alex and Crabtree here en SF, but I guess I am going way ahead of myself!!!
Share 49ersWebzone