LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Alex Smith & Crabtree Chemistry

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
Alex Smith stayed in town during the bye week to work with Crabtree. Does this establish some chemistry between the two? Does this help Smith's chances of getting some action this season? Does this build some chemistry between the two palyers?

I think it may. And getting away from the subject a tad, It shows that Alex wants to be there for sure. I'm just sayin that if the offense continues to stink it up with Gore back in the lineup, that Smith should get a shot to start at some point down the line this season.

I dont know if Alex is Crabs type. Not enough booty in the pants.

Alex won't see the field this year unless Shaun Hill gets injured. Which could easily happen behind this offensive line.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex won't see the field this year unless Shaun Hill gets injured. Which could easily happen behind this offensive line.

Singletary just shook up the OL and WRs. I have no doubt that if Hill continues to struggle, Smith will replace him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I agree I think it's not a question of if, but when.
I have no doubt smith can make throws on a practice field, with no real pass rush. It's the way he panics when the pocket breaks down that makes him suck. Also, his slow ass release.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
future
Originally posted by susweel:
Chemistry is not made in a week.

Alex was throwing to Crabtree during OTA's So they already had some chemistry there.

I wouldn't make much out of Smith's working with Crabtree though. It was only so Crabtree could learn the routes that he couldn't learn while he was holding out.

It's entirely possible but until Hill fails, Hill is QB1. I'm not liking that but it is what it is.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I have no doubt smith can make throws on a practice field, with no real pass rush. It's the way he panics when the pocket breaks down that makes him suck. Also, his slow ass release.

He panics? Really? Syber I can show you several games where he didn't panic. He kept drives alive with his feet. And shoot man, if he did panic as you suggest he did, then can you REALLY blame him? Especially after fat @$$ Rocky Bernard came in free an unblocked and did an impression of Jimmy SuperFly Snuka? Not a very good impression but it still put Alex out.

You'd panic too when a 325 lb. guy plants you in the turf. And comparing the two Alex MAY have a slow release (I do believe that he worked on this, but...) , it still will get there faster than ANY lame duck pass that Hill throws. Shoot I think Smith would have time to go to the sideline get a Starbuck's Venti Caramel Mochiato, and throw the ball. Just beating Hill's wounded duck pass.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

He panics? Really? Syber I can show you several games where he didn't panic. He kept drives alive with his feet. And shoot man, if he did panic as you suggest he did, then can you REALLY blame him? Especially after fat @$$ Rocky Bernard came in free an unblocked and did an impression of Jimmy SuperFly Snuka? Not a very good impression but it still put Alex out.

You'd panic too when a 325 lb. guy plants you in the turf. And comparing the two Alex MAY have a slow release (I do believe that he worked on this, but...) , it still will get there faster than ANY lame duck pass that Hill throws. Shoot I think Smith would have time to go to the sideline get a Starbuck's Venti Caramel Mochiato, and throw the ball. Just beating Hill's wounded duck pass.

~Ceadder

Hills pass comes down like a punt. That's why people can't catch it.
please don't talk about food at a time like this.

Did Alex suddenly learn how to throw a the ball with some touch? Doubt it.

Did he learn how to throw a pass to the flat? doubt that too.

Did he learn to have some feel in the pocket? No way.

And really, who started the myth that Smith was an accurate passer. Where the
hell did this nonsense come from? I'd like to know.

Smith is still the guy with the herky jerky slow a$$ windup and release.

The ball still comes out with the same velocity no matter what kind of throw he's trying to make.

He can throw to the tree for a month straight and it won't make much difference.
Real chemistry comes from years of playing in games. Not after a couple of days in practice.

I'll be shocked if the tree does much this week or this season for that matter.

Especially since our offense is predicated on running Frank Gore until his legs fall off.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Yeah, I don't know. I always thought Smith actually did pretty well under pressure. Through 06 and the start of 07, he had Glass Jennings and Kwame Harris at OT for him with Patrick Estes and Snyder as backups. Larry Allen also was out for six games in 06, which if you don't remember, is why we HAD to use Estes at LT when Jennings got hurt. Another note: In the games Alex started playing hurt in 2007, Jennings had just been lost for the season in the prior game. Yikes. Torn shoulder + No OL as well.

Then looking at his weapons again: Gilmore, Bryant, Taylor Jacobs, Brandon Williams, and Battle -- Wow. It's amazing he was able to do ANYTHING. Then consider 07, he didn't even have Bryant anymore, nor did he have him late in 06 after he got suspended.

Our defense? Sammy Davis? Brandon Moore? Melvin Oliver? Roman? B.J Tucker? Chad Williams? T.J. Slaughter? Holy crap. How did we even win 7 games?! It's remarkable.

This really deserves it's own post, but it'd simply be locked and it wouldn't matter because it has already been discussed -- and ignored.

Anyone that tries to claim the team Hill is currently playing on is comparable in ANY way, shape, or form to Alex's teams.. They're completely wrong. Alex wouldn't be defended if there was no valid reasoning. Simple reasoning such as stated above is an enormous part of why there is such strong belief that Alex could succeed after managing to accomplish seemingly a spectacular feat, considering what he had to work with when one truly looks at it all, from offense to defense to coaching.
I don't care what anybody says.... good chemistry is built on sundays..... they need to play some games together first
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I don't care what anybody says.... good chemistry is built on sundays..... they need to play some games together first

What!!! Chemistry is built in practice and it carries over into games. Especially with a QB and a WR. They need to be on the same page and the timing has to be down. This is why Payton Manning takes ALL of his WR's seperatly and throws with them one on one to get the timing down.
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

Just because you don't care what the people who are right say, doesn't make you right. Chemistry is build on the practice field with hundreds and thousdands of reps.

Also, for those of you who think Hill has a couple of weeks before Sing will pull him, he doesn't. He's not safe for this whole game unless he gets his job done.
Share 49ersWebzone