LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Singletary's Fate Tied to Raye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's obvious that Jimmy Raye is not the long term solution for us at OC. His offensive schemes are tired and he is not capable of making the adjustments necessary to combat a better team.

It didn't seem like it at first given the quick hook he gave JTO and Mike Martz, but it seems like Singletary is loyal to "his guys" to a fault. He's given Shaun Hill a very long hook, not even giving Alex Smith a chance in the 4th quarter of a blowout game. He's hired all of his Chicago buddies.

If things go less than stellar and Jimmy Raye's head is on the chopping block, will Singletary swing the axe? How long will Singletary stick with Raye if things aren't working out? Will he hold onto Raye to the point where his job might be in jeopardy? Is there anyone who is capable of telling Singletary that he is making bad decisions? In my opinion, it seems like he has too much control given his lack of experience.

What we have is a 2007-era Hostler offense with a much improved defense. Shaun Hill is kind of like Trent Dilfer with fewer turnovers. We saw what happened when our defense ran into a team fresh off a bye week (which I don't think is being mentioned enough), so our offense was thrust into the spotlight and HAD to perform to stay in the game. Our defense actually played pretty well for the first two series. It wasn't until the offense and special teams started turning over the ball that we got into a pickle.
any hc's job is tied to the overall success of his team. the oc is a big part of that so yes in a way his fate is tied to raye's the same as it is tied to g.manusky, s.mac, the other coaches and all the players.
When Norv Turner gets fired after this year, I'm hoping Sing calls him up and gives him his old job back....BUT Sing doesn't seem like the type of guy to tell Raye to step aside after one year. He always preaches loyalty. It's early, but I don't think Raye's tendencies are going to change one bit. But it is apparently Singletary who wants to play this way....hence the reason for Linehan not being here.
[ Edited by JDeezy on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
They're trying to turn a '96 Mustang into an '09 Silverado. We don't have that kind of roster. Relying on a defense that can't rush the passer and a RB who can't stay healthy to run behind an OL that can't block...yes, sounds very much like the '85 Bears.

Originally posted by JDeezy:
When Norv Turner gets fired after this year, I'm hoping Sing calls him up and gives him his old job back....BUT Sing doesn't seem like the type of guy to tell Raye to step aside after one year. He always preaches loyalty. It's early, but I don't think Raye's tendencies are going to change one bit. But it is apparently Singletary who wants to play this way....hence the reason for Linehan not being here.

i agree having Norv back would be great but we need some consistency at OC and norv would get a hc job in a year or 2. i wish we would have got cam cameron
Originally posted by matt49er:

i agree having Norv back would be great but we need some consistency at OC and norv would get a hc job in a year or 2. i wish we would have got cam cameron

After he gets fired for the 3rd time, Norv Turner will never be a head coach in this league again.....his time has come and gone.

After he gets fired for the 3rd time, Norv Turner will never be a head coach in this league again.....his time has come and gone.

jerry jones will probably just try to f**k us over if we got norv. their team is going down and he would gladly take the niners down with him. no retread coaches, having norv would be great but that ship has sailed i think.

It's kind of interesting how Nolan handcuffed our defense from playing to the best of their natural talents, while allowing Martz to come in and open things up just before he was canned. I think hiring Jim Hostler in 2007 along with how he handled the Alex Smith shoulder injury was his undoing. Singletary is doing fine with the defense, but he has really put blinders on the offense by hiring Raye and playing an ultra-conservative scheme that doesn't allow runners to go outside the tackles and has no plays designed to go down the field.

Everything seems to stay in the middle of the field...our offense needs to go outside, or we are basically f'ed now that other teams have seen everything they need to see from our offense. I have a bad feeling that even with Frank's return, our running game is not going to suddenly break open. It's the same thing that happened in 2007. Teams stacked the box, daring us to throw past them. Three and out, three and out, three and out, three and out...
[ Edited by Psinex on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM ]

Absolutely. Our performance over the next three games will likely decide our fate this season and the spotlight will heavily be on Raye's offense to creatively attack Houston's defense, keep up with Peyton in Indy, then be able to take advantage of a weak Titan's secondary back home. You can bet your @$$ that if we can't stay competitive in these next three games, Singletary will demand changes to our playcalling. My only concern is whether or not it is Coach Sing who is more enamoured with the smashmouth running strategy than Coach Raye...

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DShanghai69er:
Absolutely. Our performance over the next three games will likely decide our fate this season and the spotlight will heavily be on Raye's offense to creatively attack Houston's defense, keep up with Peyton in Indy, then be able to take advantage of a weak Titan's secondary back home. You can bet your @$$ that if we can't stay competitive in these next three games, Singletary will demand changes to our playcalling. My only concern is whether or not it is Coach Sing who is more enamoured with the smashmouth running strategy than Coach Raye...

Raye has shown in the past that he's flexible. He will adjust to his team's strengths. I think Singeltary is the one brainwashing everyone into having this ridiculous mindset that we have to be the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens. Seems like Singletary wants us to play like it's the '80s. The 49ers have always been cutting-edge. I don't know, but for the first time, I'm starting to have doubts that Singletary is our guy. This is a QB-driven league and if you check the Super Bowl winners since 1987, you'll see that it's stupid to try to emulate the '85 Bears or '00 Ravens.
[ Edited by B650 on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM ]
I don't think so, I think they'll be pretty lenient with Singletary and give him several years to win.

We've been rotating through coaches for years, it hasn't gotten us anywhere. We need stability for a few years to build our team.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Is Rayes job in Sing's hands or is the decision higher up?
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:
Is Rayes job in Sing's hands or is the decision higher up?

Sing hired him its in his hands.
We can no longer call the game offensively, how we have over the first 5 weeks and expect to win. Its an aberation that we have been able to win a few games, despite repeatedly telling the other team what we are going to do every play.

BOTTOM LINE, we can't line up half the game with 1 wr sets (for obvious runs) and then switch to empty backfields (for obvious passes) and expect to have success on those plays. we need to create at least some sense in the defense's mind that this play could be a pass downfield, a swing pass, or an interior run...right now they are keying off every play....and unless the play calling advances from pop warner, we will be looking at a dissapointing slide from a fortunate start.

and if we happen to get another lead this season, WE CAN'T RUN the same play up the middle for the entire 4th qtr and expect to hold the lead.
Share 49ersWebzone