LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

How do you feel about "consistency" now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A terrible system is consistently terrible.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It doesnt matter. The Smith supporters are CONVINCED that Raye is calling nothing but 5 yards outs on all receivers on passing schemes. I can think of several occasions yesterday where we were 2nd/3rd and long (because of penalties), and you could see Alex just dump it to the flats or the short route without even giving his receivers the chance to make a play deep. How many times did we even test their secondary, which consists of rookie safeties ?!

I agree that Raye is not the best playcaller with his run, run, pass mentality.....but Smith has done nothing to help the cause. WORSE, teams are startingto do exactly what they did in Smith's second season in the league ---- they're stacking the box to stuff Gore and daring Alex to beat them with his arm, and he's not coming through....

Are you kidding me, he dumped off those passes because the other team was in our backfield as soon as he set his feet.

He had no time to look downfield or was I seeing a different game?

Open your eyes and take off the blinders man, Alex didn't play well yesterday but the oline was awful and if you can't connect the two then I can't help you.
Like I said with the initial hire of Raye and then retaining him for this year, "Consistency of crap is still crap!"
Depression has sunk in.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think they need to find the right coaching staff then stick with it.

I don't think a Nolan disciple who was a far better player than coach was the right coach to begin with.

I think they need to restart the coaching search... clean house... and find the right guy... whoever they hire next they should give 5 years at least to turn this around...

Five years is too long. It is not like you have to clean house. A capable XO's mind should have this team winning immediately. This is not a championship team by any means but should at least be a playoff team.

Agreed! Many of the pieces are in place for a new coach to succeed. I better not hear "Smith needs another year under OC Johnson..." I am guessing if they get blown out again, Smith will be next to get the axe, followed by Singletary shortly thereafter...

Agree. Agree. Agree. Smith doesn't need another year under Johnson. Johnson isn't installing a new offense. But we hope he is allowed to change the approach.
Originally posted by rk1642:
It doesnt matter. The Smith supporters are CONVINCED that Raye is calling nothing but 5 yards outs on all receivers on passing schemes. I can think of several occasions yesterday where we were 2nd/3rd and long (because of penalties), and you could see Alex just dump it to the flats or the short route without even giving his receivers the chance to make a play deep. How many times did we even test their secondary, which consists of rookie safeties ?!

I agree that Raye is not the best playcaller with his run, run, pass mentality.....but Smith has done nothing to help the cause. WORSE, teams are startingto do exactly what they did in Smith's second season in the league ---- they're stacking the box to stuff Gore and daring Alex to beat them with his arm, and he's not coming through....

Are you kidding me, he dumped off those passes because the other team was in our backfield as soon as he set his feet.

Open your eyes and take off the blinders man, Alex didn't play well yesterday but the oline was awful and if you can't connect the two then I can't help you.

You are right Smith deserves more time to prove himself. Six years is not enough.

I understand your reaction, the O-line played a bad game in a loud stadium. But regardless Alex Smith was throwing those same passes during New Orleans and Seattle. Alex Smith is not an aggressor so he seems to always look to find the easy check down.

He said it last night in his interview when he was talking about the pick to Crabtree. He said they were playing a cover three and he was gonna fit it in as Crab's came back to the ball. No man! That is the wrong guy to throw to in that situation, stop looking to be safe and throw the ball down the field.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Smokie:

You are right Smith deserves more time to prove himself. Six years is not enough.

Smith hasn't proved himself. With all that's wrong, Sing, Raye, O-line, Crabtree... , who could? Let the next OC decide what he wants to do with him. But for pete sakes bring somebody useful in to at least challenge him.
Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by GlenCoffeesNuts:

never seen an illustration of a woman touching her boobies before?
  • RKab
  • Veteran
What consistency has shown us so far is that Smith is a league average QB when the 0-line performs very well but if he is pressured he is highly erratic and inaccurate on short passes which means his check downs rarely work. This "knowledge boost" of being in the same system does not change the fact that he gets happy feet and likes to throw high to the flats so the receiver has no chance to succeed.

Consistency has also shown that you cannot just randomly take one shot down the field a game and expect that to make room for Gore and Davis. Smith may be too afraid to make mistakes going deep. I'd much rather he throw a pick 30 yards down field than keep dinking and dunking this 3 yard outs that get tipped and intercepted. You cannot always just "take what the defense gives you." Our style of offense through three games has been all about taking what the defense gives you and not putting pressure on the defense. There's a reason the defense gives you 3 yard outs and blankets the middle of the field.

Consistency is showing that the rest of the league is doing their homework and watched film from the end of last year and saw how our offense was moving the ball and they have figured out how to stop it. And we have ZERO adjustments in place to fix things.

This teams strength is its talent, not its gameplanning. At this point, consistency only means more game field for better/smarter/more adept coordinators to pick apart and figure out how to beat the 49ers.
Originally posted by thaakingd:

I understand your reaction, the O-line played a bad game in a loud stadium. But regardless Alex Smith was throwing those same passes during New Orleans and Seattle. Alex Smith is not an aggressor so he seems to always look to find the easy check down.

He said it last night in his interview when he was talking about the pick to Crabtree. He said they were playing a cover three and he was gonna fit it in as Crab's came back to the ball. No man! That is the wrong guy to throw to in that situation, stop looking to be safe and throw the ball down the field.

Great, I see your point, Alex should just throw it down the field to a covered receiver and hope that his guy comes down with the ball. And if not, which is the case with our weak bunch of receivers, you'd kill him for the int.

If you listen to any broadcaster/former coach during a game that a Qb is under duress, they always state that its better to check down and keep the positve yards going than to try and force the ball. To do otherwise is foolish!
Originally posted by teeohh:
Smith and raye will be the death of sing, dumb ass dug his own grave
LOL, they hired a s*itty OC because he wasn't good enough for anyone else to steal him. That's ridiculous. I was jealous of KC yesterday. Look at Haley, hires Cernell and Weis. Great coordinators who aren't going to be receiving HC offers in the near future. F Singletary.
Share 49ersWebzone