There are 238 users in the forums

How do you feel about "consistency" now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All off season we were feed the idea that the team would be automatically better simply based on "consistency"; same coaches and system, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

What we have is the result of consistently working bad play selection. I do not want to knock the whole playbook because on the Saints there seemed to be some interesting things going on, so did last year, once the offense was spread.

You can say all you want but this falls squarely on the HC.
49ers are consistent underachievers.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
All off season we were feed the idea that the team would be automatically better simply based on "consistency"; same coaches and system, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

What we have is the result of consistently working bad play selection. I do not want to knock the whole playbook because on the Saints there seemed to be some interesting things going on, so did last year, once the offense was spread.

You can say all you want but this falls squarely on the HC.

I feel the same way about it now, as I did before - that hiring Raye was a dumb idea and keeping him was a worse one. But then again, I'm someone that didn't need an 0-3 start to realize that.
my worst fears about raye came true
  • ZRF80
It doesnt matter. The Smith supporters are CONVINCED that Raye is calling nothing but 5 yards outs on all receivers on passing schemes. I can think of several occasions yesterday where we were 2nd/3rd and long (because of penalties), and you could see Alex just dump it to the flats or the short route without even giving his receivers the chance to make a play deep. How many times did we even test their secondary, which consists of rookie safeties ?!

I agree that Raye is not the best playcaller with his run, run, pass mentality.....but Smith has done nothing to help the cause. WORSE, teams are startingto do exactly what they did in Smith's second season in the league ---- they're stacking the box to stuff Gore and daring Alex to beat them with his arm, and he's not coming through....
Smith and raye will be the death of sing, dumb ass dug his own grave
Originally posted by father49er:

This.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by teeohh:
Smith and raye will be the death of sing, dumb ass dug his own grave

Yep, Smith has ruined quite a few careers during his tenure in SF.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It doesnt matter. The Smith supporters are CONVINCED that Raye is calling nothing but 5 yards outs on all receivers on passing schemes. I can think of several occasions yesterday where we were 2nd/3rd and long (because of penalties), and you could see Alex just dump it to the flats or the short route without even giving his receivers the chance to make a play deep. How many times did we even test their secondary, which consists of rookie safeties ?!

I agree that Raye is not the best playcaller with his run, run, pass mentality.....but Smith has done nothing to help the cause. WORSE, teams are startingto do exactly what they did in Smith's second season in the league ---- they're stacking the box to stuff Gore and daring Alex to beat them with his arm, and he's not coming through....

How many times did Smith have time to throw down field? And when he threw down field the recievers rarely made a play on the ball. Morgan got beat on a jump ball by Berry in the end zone. Vernon got beat to a ball that would have been a first down. I don't recall a play where a 9er made a play on a ball. Our best plays are the short passes in the flats... unless someone is WIDE open down field. I think if I was Alex I would think twice before throwing into coverage deep... is there a guy on this team he can count on to GO GET THE BALL?

The O Line was horrible... absolutely awful.

And I thought Willis looked beat up... sluggish and slow all day.

AND our secondary sucks.

SORRY ON A RANT....
What a waste of 1+ years. This is Dingletarys fault for being so pigheaded about his 1970's offensive vision. How much better would our offense be with Linehan or Christianson (sp)?

• dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by father49er:

YEP!!!
I think NFL.com is inconsistent

I think they need to find the right coaching staff then stick with it.

I don't think a Nolan disciple who was a far better player than coach was the right coach to begin with.

I think they need to restart the coaching search... clean house... and find the right guy... whoever they hire next they should give 5 years at least to turn this around...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

I don't think a Nolan disciple who was a far better player than coach was the right coach to begin with.

I think they need to restart the coaching search... clean house... and find the right guy... whoever they hire next they should give 5 years at least to turn this around...

Five years is too long. It is not like you have to clean house. A capable XO's mind should have this team winning immediately. This is not a championship team by any means but should at least be a playoff team.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Five years is too long. It is not like you have to clean house. A capable XO's mind should have this team winning immediately. This is not a championship team by any means but should at least be a playoff team.

Agreed! Many of the pieces are in place for a new coach to succeed. I better not hear "Smith needs another year under OC Johnson..." I am guessing if they get blown out again, Smith will be next to get the axe, followed by Singletary shortly thereafter...
Share 49ersWebzone