LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

All one can talk is offense - is that really the problem?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We lead the league in 3 and outs because we can't run the ball AT ALL. Aside from Gore's two long runs, which at this point look like more of a statistical anomaly, i would bet that we average less than 3 ypc.

This is because:
1. We give it away when we're going to run. Watch the opposing defense when they face our base offense, right before the snap you'll see the SS run into the box (if the camera view permits). I saw this lots of times against the Vikings, Seahawks and Falcons.

2. The line is the weakest link in our offense, we don't have the personnel to block 8 on 8 and still run the ball down their throats. We just don't. I would also bet that we lead the league in tackles given up behind the line of scrimmage.

-9fA
Originally posted by dust-7:
Originally posted by jreff22:
You cant expect the D to win every game for you

Are you even bothering to read what I wrote, even just above?

It doesn't seem like it.

You initial question All one can talk is offense - is that really the problem? was answered by that statement you quoted me on. The D had a brain fart on Sunday but the O has been stuck in neutral damn near every game. If the offense cant sustain drives and score, the D will get worn down and eventually beaten. When your D/ST has one less TD then you QB does in passing TD's that's a very scary sign.

Every person that has responded to your question has echoed my statement, yes the O is the problem.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BrianGO:
OK, we get the point.

Not in any way, shape or form. People still disagree, here, to the extent of completely ignoring the OP and most of the messages in the thread just to parrot something about - it was all the O, or their fault rather than D.

I'm saying just the opposite. We expected to see this offense, but NOT this defense.

I think it's too scary - too frightening - too 'fright night' for some to consider that the 'vaunted defense', for which they've been trying to find a mean-sounding nickname, got their heads handed to them.

Did it happen last year? My memory . . y'know. Last year, we saw the same thing after Sing took over? This is the first I can remember seeing this, just like the Vikes game was the first time I saw Singletary violate his own rules about finishing.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
offense wins games PERIOD. Now and forever more.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A

You initial question All one can talk is offense - is that really the problem? was answered

Yes - I thought I did, in the OP. Everyone's ignored the OP, and many subsequent messages to offer their own opinion. But there's no give and take. Everything I've said suggesting something so horrible, so frightening, so terrifying in saying the D took a step backwards and let down the O, seems to lead many posting here to want to pretend it never happened.

Oh - it's all the O-line's fault that ATL scored 35. Blame it on Hill.

If ANYTHING, partly blame it on Bly. But he plays - ON DEFENSE!

This isn't, as well, some sort of attempt to blame just to blame. I agree with EVERYONE, if EVERYONE wants to agree to say - it's a team game. All are on the team. When Bly went to apologize, today, Singletary thought he might even include the office staff. All the same team.

But eyes also cannot be closed in horror or fear, either. What will we see if we open them? What happened is what happened. One has to see the D for what it is, and what it did. One shouldn't try to pretend, or make excuses.

As with the OP, one should try to identify things that must be fixed. They play like this against Indy - guess what?
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Axl49:
offense wins games PERIOD. Now and forever more.

It helps if they're playing a defense willing to spot them 35 points.
When Nolan was hired five years ago, I remember him being interviewed on KNBR. As he began the task of rebuilding the 49ers from the ashes of the Donahue era, he said that you start with building a dominant OL. It allows the QB to do what he does best and the RBs to do the same. In other words, it is the key to a successful offense. I remember thinking that this Nolan was a smart guy.

Nolan hired McLoughan to be his personnel man, and I am sure he instructed McL to draft and sign as FAs enough superior men to put together this wonderful OL.

It is now five years later, and what do we have? A dismal OL. Who of you believe that McL is responsible for this failure? I know I do.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by excelsior:

It is now five years later, and what do we have? A dismal OL. Who of you believe that McL is responsible for this failure? I know I do.

Okay, on the separate issue of the failure of the O-line, right now Singletary is pointing to Rachel. Let's be honest. I think it's expected Wragge plays for him. But they've got two weeks to look at this at 4949.

It makes it more difficult for the line to gel. And Wragge does get beat. But he seems to fill in well - much of the time. But the big shot was taken with Snyder and Bass. Allen played at the very, very end of his career, and was actually effective at first. Marvel didn't even make it that far. I personally like Heitmann, his linebacker-like intensity. I hope the best for Staley. But he, too, has been beaten. And look what they did in the draft to get Staley.

No, Snyder and Bass were the guys who were going to protect Alex, remember? And year after year, they've been working with them.

So, I just don't know. Do they need better line coaches? Dahl is STARTING for the team that just schooled us. Maybe they couldn't afford Smiley, but I think he's also done well. So is our line coaching just not what it should be? Many also blamed Hoss for throwing off the line. Will they begin saying it about Raye? We'll see.

But an O-line and a push rush. BEFORE Nowin even came in, this was the promise and the thing they would 'concentrate' on fixing, next year. As you say, 'next year' seems to be a very long time.

You initial question All one can talk is offense - is that really the problem? was answered

Yes - I thought I did, in the OP. Everyone's ignored the OP, and many subsequent messages to offer their own opinion. But there's no give and take. Everything I've said suggesting something so horrible, so frightening, so terrifying in saying the D took a step backwards and let down the O, seems to lead many posting here to want to pretend it never happened.

This isn't, as well, some sort of attempt to blame just to blame. I agree with EVERYONE, if EVERYONE wants to agree to say - it's a team game. All are on the team. When Bly went to apologize, today, Singletary thought he might even include the office staff. All the same team.

But eyes also cannot be closed in horror or fear, either. What will we see if we open them? What happened is what happened. One has to see the D for what it is, and what it did. One shouldn't try to pretend, or make excuses.

As with the OP, one should try to identify things that must be fixed. They play like this against Indy - guess what?

saying the D took a step backwards and let down the O
How did the D let down the O....by not scoring all the points? The D/ST has scored almost the same amount of TD's that Hill has thrown...who is letting who down? Here is another way to look at it...what if Hill threw 2 picks that were ran back for TD's or if Atl ran back 2 punts for TD's? That would mean ATL 14 SF 10, we would of still lost!! If the O cant put points on the board or play catchup what really do you expect the D to do? They were on the field for 36 minutes and repeatedly were given horrible field position. Take the TD's away and make them FG's and were still in trouble.

Who deserves the blame for the O...the line and the QB. The line is having a hard time blocking and our QB cant throw the ball worth s**t. Regardless of how the D played on Sunday these issues (Hill and the line) have been consistent so far this season.

One shouldn't try to pretend, or make excuses.
I have said the D didn't play well and they had a brain fart but this is unorthodox for them. The O has been bad game after game!!

Even if Bly didn't fumble he would of been tackled by White. By the way the O had played all game I would imagine it would of been another 3 and out and the D would be back on the field in under 2 minutes. By the way Bly's main job is to stop WR's from catching the ball, not score TD's....that's an O job.

They play like this against Indy - guess what?
Offense gets the ball goes 3 and out then punts...how does that get us points to win. At some point Indy will get good field position due to special teams play. Even if we stop them they can still kick field goals and score, something we haven't been able to do. So does that make it a D problem or a O problem?
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
How did the D let down the O

This is just a repeat of everything above. You have my answer to all of this, above.

How did the D let down the O

This is just a repeat of everything above. You have my answer to all of this, above.

Apparently every issue I just responded to in my above post you don't have an answer for.
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A

Apparently every issue I just responded to in my above post you don't have an answer for.

I just said I did.

Specifically, then - okay - specifically what is it that you think you said that was new which I haven't answered?

Tell me specifically. Just one thing.
Just put it to rest guys. The game against the Falcons was a TEAM LOSS
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Just put it to rest guys. The game against the Falcons was a TEAM LOSS

It was indeed a team loss. But read what I said about that.

I just said I did.

Specifically, then - okay - specifically what is it that you think you said that was new which I haven't answered?

Tell me specifically. Just one thing.

Quote:
saying the D took a step backwards and let down the O
How did the D let down the O....by not scoring all the points? The D/ST has scored almost the same amount of TD's that Hill has thrown...who is letting who down? Here is another way to look at it...what if Hill threw 2 picks that were ran back for TD's or if Atl ran back 2 punts for TD's? That would mean ATL 14 SF 10, we would of still lost!! If the O cant put points on the board or play catchup what really do you expect the D to do? They were on the field for 36 minutes and repeatedly were given horrible field position. Take the TD's away and make them FG's and were still in trouble.

Who deserves the blame for the O...the line and the QB. The line is having a hard time blocking and our QB cant throw the ball worth s**t. Regardless of how the D played on Sunday these issues (Hill and the line) have been consistent so far this season.

One shouldn't try to pretend, or make excuses.
I have said the D didn't play well and they had a brain fart but this is unorthodox for them. The O has been bad game after game!!

Even if Bly didn't fumble he would of been tackled by White. By the way the O had played all game I would imagine it would of been another 3 and out and the D would be back on the field in under 2 minutes. By the way Bly's main job is to stop WR's from catching the ball, not score TD's....that's an O job.

They play like this against Indy - guess what?
Offense gets the ball goes 3 and out then punts...how does that get us points to win. At some point Indy will get good field position due to special teams play. Even if we stop them they can still kick field goals and score, something we haven't been able to do. So does that make it a D problem or a O problem?

Every statement you made that holds no water I answered. Obviously you don't have a response to anything quoted above.

Explain how Bly is to blame for this loss?

Explain how our inept O can beat Indy, I gave a realistic example of what can happen and in that example how can any blame be given to the D.

You want to convince me, give a solid rebuttal to all my responses!
Share 49ersWebzone