LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

lol at maiocco's game report card

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Three things happened before the crushing defeat, but going back to history, it was the Falcons who killed our last SB hope with Steve Young at QB. The loss to the Falcons could be the beginning of an end to the playoff hopes this year, and these are the reasons why:

1 - The team was just worn out, most of the energy was spent during the off season.

2 - Singletary's constant "mouting (blah, blah, blah)" back fired on him, evident with the NFL video last week about how he was treating players on the field - bad mouting them in front of other teammates. If he can't adjust his behaviour, he will lost the players' confidence in a hurry. He should not say much to the players this time around, except admit the loss as his alone, byhimself, and nobody else's.

3 - That Crabtree signing changed a lot of players' perception about the 49ers management and Singletary. Crabbie could be the enigma!

Look for my other post "why we have a mediocre team".

So when a player drops a catchable ball, the coach should say. Yea good job?
IMHO his statements were OK.
Josh Morgan has to catch that ball no matter if it came down as a punt or like a missile if it hits your hands you have to catch it. EOD! Coffee has to catch that ball. Rachal has to finish his block

Yeah, I like that coaching style. He's in your face when you make a big mistake, but then he comes back and makes sure that the player's confidence isn't shot. He told Coffee to settle down and just play. He told Morgan he's one of the best WRs in the game, but has to play like it every week. He was kind of harsh on Chilo, I admit... but the o-line deserves to get chewed out for how they've been playing.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Three things happened before the crushing defeat, but going back to history, it was the Falcons who killed our last SB hope with Steve Young at QB. The loss to the Falcons could be the beginning of an end to the playoff hopes this year, and these are the reasons why:

1 - The team was just worn out, most of the energy was spent during the off season.

2 - Singletary's constant "mouting (blah, blah, blah)" back fired on him, evident with the NFL video last week about how he was treating players on the field - bad mouting them in front of other teammates. If he can't adjust his behaviour, he will lost the players' confidence in a hurry. He should not say much to the players this time around, except admit the loss as his alone, byhimself, and nobody else's.

3 - That Crabtree signing changed a lot of players' perception about the 49ers management and Singletary. Crabbie could be the enigma!

Look for my other post "why we have a mediocre team".

So when a player drops a catchable ball, the coach should say. Yea good job?
IMHO his statements were OK.
Josh Morgan has to catch that ball no matter if it came down as a punt or like a missile if it hits your hands you have to catch it. EOD! Coffee has to catch that ball. Rachal has to finish his block

Yeah, I like that coaching style. He's in your face when you make a big mistake, but then he comes back and makes sure that the player's confidence isn't shot. He told Coffee to settle down and just play. He told Morgan he's one of the best WRs in the game, but has to play like it every week. He was kind of harsh on Chilo, I admit... but the o-line deserves to get chewed out for how they've been playing.

1. You may have a point about them being worn out, but it's only week 5. That should not be a problem.

2. I disagree, I love the way he treats our young players. The way I look it at, I think his tough love will weed those players out that might not have tough mental ability. He was hard on Chilo, and ultimately we will see what kind of player he becomes. Sing pulls no punches.

3. Not sure what you mean by perception being changed by Crabtree's signing. But I will say that Sing has the support of the locker room. I don't for a minute think he has lost control.
Originally posted by nooj:
3. Not sure what you mean by perception being changed by Crabtree's signing. But I will say that Sing has the support of the locker room. I don't for a minute think he has lost control.

I believe what he's referring to is Singletary's "I want winners" speech, in particular the part where Singletary says that he would rather have 10 guys on the field and take penalties than 11 guys on when that one guy is not about the team.

-9fA
Well, the report card is accurate...depressing, but accurate. But we have two weeks to right what went wrong, expect better things versus the Texans.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
coaching F

This one stands out as the biggest of all. The grade should be below "F". Sing fell apart, and looked helpless in the second half. He had no answers to what the Falcons did. Singltary has to coach, and not just motivate. A nightmare game I hope wakes this slo-mo team up. We had the worst game of our lives, and while doing that, the Falcons could only have the best game of their lives. I would like to forget this game and move on. We are better than this.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
Sadly, I don't think it's much of an overreaction at all.

Originally posted by Thizz415:
the funny thing is he is completely right.
Does the teacher allow for extra-credit?
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by kujon11:
id give the linebackers a d- only because patrick willis was still a gamer in the end and forced two fumbles. too bad no one was aroudn to pick them up

P will gave us two chances to recover it but blew it. On the second half there were two fumbles and one interception that should had been return. That is 3 possession already. 3 possession that should had been a touch down. 21+10=31 It should had been 31-35 by the last 2 min of the 4th Quarter and have a chance for the last possession it shouldn't had been 45-10.

Actually, here's what would have happened.

First down, dive play up the middle, 1-2 yards.

Second down, Hill throws a pass either into the dirt or the stands

3rd down, WR screen, gains 2 yards

Punt

This 49ers offense isn't good enough to come back from 14 down, if the defense isn't playing up to par (like we saw yesterday).

[ Edited by linkboy on Oct 12, 2009 at 09:46:29 ]
Yeah, can't say I don't disagree. Sad but true.

• Silky
  • Veteran
I still don't know why we have slow guys returning punts and kickoffs
Agree w/ the report card as well as most of the other replies. It's sounds about right to me. This is a beating where we got our a$$es kicked in every aspect of the game. And to make things worse, both the Seahawks and Cards won. This couldn't have been a worse week for the Niners.

They'd better make some drastic changes w/ the bye week coming up. We need to win against the Texans because we definitely won't win against the Colts after that.

Projected record: 4-3 after the game in Indy. Let's hope that's enough to keep the lead in the our division.
I think Matt hit it on the head...we didn't play well in any phase of the game. I was particularly disappointed in the defense, which has been stellar, but they played a horrible game. They got totally thrashed...even Willis missed on a number of plays...I think he got sucked into the gaping hole that was supposed to be our defense. I haven't seen tackling so sloppy in years...they were out of position, continued to hit high instead of low, showed no pass rush, couldn't stop the run or the pass. Yikes...hard to imagine a worse performance, let's hope this was just an abberation. Even the normally reliable ST's were bad...Nedney flubbed both a kickoff and a very makeable FG. Walker fumbeled a promising kickoff return that might have given some momentum to get back in the game before it got out of control. Even Andy Lee wasn't his usual great self, looking only average on most of his punts. I've saved the worst for last...the offense, which was truly offensive. Hill had little time to do anything...when he did get the ball out, his receivers got virtually no separation, making receptions almost impossible. Coffee looked every bit the rookie he is...there were some lanes he didn't see, which speaks to his inexperience. The OL was...downright awful. Rachal needs to grab some bench 'til he figures out how to play RG. Singletary has to put Wragge in the lineup. They might even want to scour the waiver wire or find someone who can actually block. Atlanta's not known as a great pass rushing team, but our OL sure made them look like one. I was thinking Coach needed to put Alex in the game, but as bad as our OL played, that would've just added insult to injury. I hope this was just one of those bad games just about every team has once a year...because if Singletary can't get them to bounce back in a big way, the Schaub-Johnson combo will be lethal.
giving a f to the o-line is too generous of a grade
I would have gone with F+.
Share 49ersWebzone