LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 182 users in the forums

Why do we have a mediocre team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yes, an average to above-average team. They are good enough to make the playoffs, but probably won't do anything. If the oline can come together, then they can do better than that. The defense is good, despite today, but they can't continue to carry the team.
Can we all be serious for one second.......We all 9er fans over being any a fan of any particular player fan. So when people want to see Smith start its because he did well with less at times. Hill manages a game well but the defense isnt that good that the offense just cant loose games instead of winning them. Hill is a poor mans Chad Pennington.
Originally posted by niners94:
Yes, an average to above-average team. They are good enough to make the playoffs, but probably won't do anything. If the oline can come together, then they can do better than that. The defense is good, despite today, but they can't continue to carry the team.

Agreed. The niners are good enough to win the west, but that's mainly because it's such a weak division. They still may not win it, but if they do I would be surprised at anything other than a first round exit.
I think everyone got carried away by our victories over our weak (though apparently improving) division-mates. Our team is not as good as we wanted to believe--a few wins after years of suckage will make anyone jump the gun--but they arent as bad as they looked today. What really sucks is that the hallmark of this team has been it's confidence, mental fortitude and toughness and today all of those were absent. Initially I saw a couple players letting the whole team down (would Nate Clements/Delanie Walker please stand up), but soon everyone seemed to join in the fun....surprisingly we lacked energy in the second half after what I would have to assume was a lambasting by Coach Sing....
yes they are who we thought they were thay just got ahead of themselves.
1. The Defense don't have a legit passrusher. We still need a legit NT too.

2. The First string QB is a fourth stringer to a good team. Until we have a QB that can throw the ball with tight spiral and good velocity, we are on the mercy of our defense to win games. Teams will exploit the QB situation from now on and Atlanta gave many teams the recipe.

3. The OL has been a project for many years, and it will be for at least two years. The bunch of guys just can't be good no matter how they try. Heitman might be playing well, but he is a backup player as starter. Baas should not be resigned, and better yet, he should be benched. Chilo might have some personal problem bothering him.

4. We don't have and need a legit #1 RECEIVER.

5. The OC is too old to be calling plays. This run, run, run thing is killing the team. But can you blame him if he knows that he has a weak armed QB. Either way, it is time to replace the QB and the OC.

6. Mike Singletary don't know s**t except rah, rah, rah! Motivational speakers can't motivate people all the time. A good Coach should be visionary, innovative, and flxible with the football aspect of coaching.

To sum it up, we need Mike Holgren to be a contender, and draft a QB next year.
Yeah I knew this was coming. We always own the Seahawks rushing the ball. The Rams don't count because they aren't a pro team. And the Cardinals had some players out when we played them.

We aren't good. This is about the 49ers team. A completely helpless offensive team that has no passing game. If they get behind THEY WILL LOSE. Frank Gore and D carry this team but that can only get you bye in so many games. This is the reality against a good team.
#6 makes all of your other points lose validity.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
1. The Defense don't have a legit passrusher. We still need a legit NT too.

2. The First string QB is a fourth stringer to a good team. Until we have a QB that can throw the ball with tight spiral and good velocity, we are on the mercy of our defense to win games. Teams will exploit the QB situation from now on and Atlanta gave many teams the recipe.

3. The OL has been a project for many years, and it will be for at least two years. The bunch of guys just can't be good no matter how they try. Heitman might be playing well, but he is a backup player as starter. Baas should not be resigned, and better yet, he should be benched. Chilo might have some personal problem bothering him.

4. We don't have and need a legit #1 RECEIVER.

5. The OC is too old to be calling plays. This run, run, run thing is killing the team. But can you blame him if he knows that he has a weak armed QB. Either way, it is time to replace the QB and the OC.

6. Mike Singletary don't know s**t except rah, rah, rah! Motivational speakers can't motivate people all the time. A good Coach should be visionary, innovative, and flxible with the football aspect of coaching.

To sum it up, we need Mike Holgren to be a contender, and draft a QB next year.

1) Lack of talent.
2) Many wasted draft picks over many years.
3) A bad organization at the top.
4) A highly overrated GM who has picked many busts over the years but still gets pass after pass on the WZ for God knows why....
5) Lack QB - hugely important in the NFL.
6) No pass rush.
7) O Line which has now been terrible for the better part of the 2,000's. For the better part of the decade.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 12, 2009 at 01:01:17 ]

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yeah I knew this was coming. We always own the Seahawks rushing the ball. The Rams don't count because they aren't a pro team. And the Cardinals had some players out when we played them.

We aren't good. This is about the 49ers team. A completely helpless offensive team that has no passing game. If they get behind THEY WILL LOSE. Frank Gore and D carry this team but that can only get you bye in so many games. This is the reality against a good team.

I gotta say, I did not think we would win today. Although I REALLY didn't think we would be spanked by 35 points. We were 2 seconds away from being 4-0, which would have been one of the biggest surprises in the NFL this year. I think today we showed up flat and made a number of VERY costly mental mistakes that added to the b***h-slapping we got from the Falcons.
However, I do think that the 49er's are what I thought they were .......... 9-7 or 10-6..... Either way on the road to recovery. Also, I do believe we can win the west. Goats are HORRIBLE, Cards are way over rated, Seachickens are as Hasselhack goes ........ and he is a hack. Singletary gives us a team identity and we hit hard ........ other than today, of course!
They still look like 8-8 or 9-7 to me at this point but only if Singletary can continue to get them to just improve a little every week.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
They still look like 8-8 or 9-7 to me at this point but only if Singletary can continue to get them to just improve a little every week.

They need to improve a lot
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Who is Mike Holgren?
Share 49ersWebzone