LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
IS ALEX SMITH REALLY THE ANSWER? 1ST OFF OUR OLINE DIDN'T HOLD UP, 2ND OFF WE PLAYED AGAINST MATT RYAN! OF COURSE OUR QB IS GONNA LOOK LIKE s**t PLAYING AGAINST MATT RYAN! 3RD OUR OFFENSE COULDN'T HOLD UP FOR 3 SECONDS! 4TH WE'RE LUCKY HILL DIDN'T THROW 10 PICKS!

ALEX SMITH IS NOT THE ANSWER!

FYI Shaun Hill was never on the field when Matt Ryan was. QB's are not tennis players or boxers. They do not play against each other. They are one of 11 on one side of the ball (albeit the most important of the 11). Nothing Hill did against Atlanta, or in the four games before, had anything to so with the starting QB on the other team. The way he looked Sunday has ZERO to do with the way Matt Ryan played.

so being 10-5 as a starter, being up over .500 this season so far, and throwing how many picks so far? ya... i guarantee we're not .500 if alex smith is starter and we'd prolly lead the league in picks for 6. it wasn't that easy to see that's who he was in preseason! SO YES... LETS START ALEX SMITH AND WASTE ANOTHER SEASON! I'D RATHER PLAY
NATE DAVIS!

we all know how alex smith plays with pressure in his face... three outcomes! fumble, interception, injury! he's great at all three!

atleast hill has been incomplete, sack! i'd rather have that!

keep bringing up hill's 10-5, and I'll keep saying it was against s**tty teams, or teams on the decline.

I saw more from Alex, than I did from hill in the preseason, same from nate (nate was playing 3rd stringers though)

I will pull for alex till he is no longer a 49er, because I support all of our players (except Mark Roman) So I hope to see alex on the field after the bye week.
IS ALEX SMITH REALLY THE ANSWER? 1ST OFF OUR OLINE DIDN'T HOLD UP, 2ND OFF WE PLAYED AGAINST MATT RYAN! OF COURSE OUR QB IS GONNA LOOK LIKE s**t PLAYING AGAINST MATT RYAN! 3RD OUR OFFENSE COULDN'T HOLD UP FOR 3 SECONDS! 4TH WE'RE LUCKY HILL DIDN'T THROW 10 PICKS!

Stop yelling.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Hill was ranked pretty high before this game. You guys need to take a step back and see how the NFL actually works. Hill isn't on that thin of ice

Because we don't have anyone else better, and his ranking has been coming down every week. he will finish as a bottom 5 starting QB by the time the season is over.

Guaranteed.

i beg to differ! if our line starts to play, we get gore back in 2 weeks, and we have crabs and brandon jones should be 100% by the texans! i think you guys are over reacting from the falcons game! alot of football left guys! lets bank on who got us to 3-2! they aint gonna bench shaun hill till he gets benched mid game!
Even if all that happens, Hill still can't make NFL throws.
Hill was ranked pretty high before this game. You guys need to take a step back and see how the NFL actually works. Hill isn't on that thin of ice

Because we don't have anyone else better, and his ranking has been coming down every week. he will finish as a bottom 5 starting QB by the time the season is over.

Guaranteed.

i beg to differ! if our line starts to play, we get gore back in 2 weeks, and we have crabs and brandon jones should be 100% by the texans! i think you guys are over reacting from the falcons game! alot of football left guys! lets bank on who got us to 3-2! they aint gonna bench shaun hill till he gets benched mid game!

And we're 3-2 in spite of Hill.

Guaranteed.

If the O-line can get it's sh*t together, and Gore get healthy, I am quite sure we are not going to see Hill's performance plummet to be basement. Without those two factors, any of the QBs currently on this team is goiong to have a terrible day. If Alex Smith was the starter all year long, we would be having this same exact discussion, but just reverse names. "We need Hill to start, and see what he can do. Alex is terrible."
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

FYI Shaun Hill was never on the field when Matt Ryan was. QB's are not tennis players or boxers. They do not play against each other. They are one of 11 on one side of the ball (albeit the most important of the 11). Nothing Hill did against Atlanta, or in the four games before, had anything to so with the starting QB on the other team. The way he looked Sunday has ZERO to do with the way Matt Ryan played.

so being 10-5 as a starter, being up over .500 this season so far, and throwing how many picks so far? ya... i guarantee we're not .500 if alex smith is starter and we'd prolly lead the league in picks for 6. it wasn't that easy to see that's who he was in preseason! SO YES... LETS START ALEX SMITH AND WASTE ANOTHER SEASON! I'D RATHER PLAY
NATE DAVIS!

we all know how alex smith plays with pressure in his face... three outcomes! fumble, interception, injury! he's great at all three!

atleast hill has been incomplete, sack! i'd rather have that!

keep bringing up hill's 10-5, and I'll keep saying it was against s**tty teams, or teams on the decline.

I saw more from Alex, than I did from hill in the preseason, same from nate (nate was playing 3rd stringers though)

I will pull for alex till he is no longer a 49er, because I support all of our players (except Mark Roman) So I hope to see alex on the field after the bye week.

you do understand that when alex smith came in preseason he barely ran against 1st stringers... and he got injured after a pick which held him back from the last game... ya lets start him with our oline! shaun hill has a noodle arm but he has 5 touchdowns and two picks! he's not god!
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Guaranteed.

And we're 3-2 in spite of Hill.
I thought Hill didn't lose at home? Keep watching, it will not get any better, that is what happens when a team puts guys out there that would not be the 2nd string QB on any other team in the NFL. Alex smith would get a job faster than Hill if they were both free agents today. Thats a fact, except if the Niners were looking for a QB because they require that the QB throw ducks.
Shaun Hill has proven he can perform well against NFL teams and has gotten the approval and support from former NFL players and analysts. People who like to talk s**t about him live in a fantasy world where they think we can trade for an elite QB. The fact of the matter is, Hill can't do it all by himself. Tom Brady would be injured if he played with this O-Line. Jimmy Raye needs to take the cuffs of Hill and let him throw the ball.

For you posters that are so pissed that Hill is our QB, he gets wins. Who gives a s**t if he's not flashy or can throw 60 yards. It doesn't matter. What matters at the end of the day is if he is putting our team in a position to win.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Sugatis:

Neither is Shaun Hill. Bluntly he is a scrub there is a reason he didn't play a down in the NFL for the first 4 years or get drafted - he is no diamond in the rough he is just a little smarter JTO minus the arm.

But even if true, the idea behind replacing someone is to improve the position. Is Alex Smith really going to make them better if he gets called up? Is the rest of the offense going to respond to him, be in sync with him? Or will they be making a bad situation worse. Knee jerk reactions don't usually improve a bad situation.

I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction after five piss-poor games. It's not like the ATL game was the first poor performance of Hill's. It was just the most pronounced because of the score and the fact that he was allowed to throw the ball more than any game previous.

It's always a knee jerk reaction here. What Singletary talked about on the radio today was making O-line changes. That is the crux of the problem with this offense.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Shaun Hill has proven he can perform well against NFL teams and has gotten the approval and support from former NFL players and analysts. People who like to talk s**t about him live in a fantasy world where they think we can trade for an elite QB. The fact of the matter is, Hill can't do it all by himself. Tom Brady would be injured if he played with this O-Line. Jimmy Raye needs to take the cuffs of Hill and let him throw the ball.

For you posters that are so pissed that Hill is our QB, he gets wins. Who gives a s**t if he's not flashy or can throw 60 yards. It doesn't matter. What matters at the end of the day is if he is putting our team in a position to win.

The D is putting this team in a position to win, and when they can't, Hill does not help. He is the leader of a team that leads the NFL in 3 and outs and is the worst on 3rd downs. If the D doesn't show up, Hill is not winning any games for us.

Neither is Shaun Hill. Bluntly he is a scrub there is a reason he didn't play a down in the NFL for the first 4 years or get drafted - he is no diamond in the rough he is just a little smarter JTO minus the arm.

But even if true, the idea behind replacing someone is to improve the position. Is Alex Smith really going to make them better if he gets called up? Is the rest of the offense going to respond to him, be in sync with him? Or will they be making a bad situation worse. Knee jerk reactions don't usually improve a bad situation.

I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction after five piss-poor games. It's not like the ATL game was the first poor performance of Hill's. It was just the most pronounced because of the score and the fact that he was allowed to throw the ball more than any game previous.

It's always a knee jerk reaction here. What Singletary talked about on the radio today was making O-line changes. That is the crux of the problem with this offense.

Amazing. We are 3-2 with absolutely no running game. Hill is doing the best a QB can do with no protection and not being able to use play action. The teams we are facing aren't even loading up the box. They were stoping us with 6 guys.

This! And yes I'm yelling too!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

Amazing. We are 3-2 with absolutely no running game. Hill is doing the best a QB can do with no protection and not being able to use play action. The teams we are facing aren't even loading up the box. They were stoping us with 6 guys.
Look up the team that won the Super Bowl last year, they had a bad O line and a bad running game.

Didn't he just throw the ball 38 times?

Has he done that this year? Sure, THE TEAM has three wins, but he has not put the team in position to win those games. He has not played well in one of them. Seattle was his best game this year and he still only averaged 5.5 yards per... Against 8-9 in the box all day no less.

Through 5 games he's in the bottom 10 in completion percentage, and is in the bottom half of all QBs for all other stats. He's done nothing but make poor decisions and worse throws when he makes the right decision.

Jimmy Raye let Hill throw 38 times on Sunday and only ran the ball 16 times. He DID take the cuffs off of Hill, and when he tried giving him a shot to see if he could get it going he unraveled like a ball of string. Sorry but he is not going to bring you back. This guy doesn't even have the arm of Pennington or Garcia, he can't throw the deep outs or the go routes or the deep post. His accuracy hasn't been very good either, he has a 56% completion %. My deal is it's not just THIS game. He has sucked in almost every game. We've been winning because of Gore and PWilly and the defense, we've been winning inspite of him.
Share 49ersWebzone