LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by x49ersx123:
Seriously we need to stop it with this Shaun Hill vs. Alex smith deal. When your defense give up 35 points in the fist half I Don’t care who you have at QB it is very difficult to win. Let face it we are not a point for point team so we need our defense to shut down our opponent and give use opportunity to score as many points as we can, that really didn’t happen with Atlanta. I am not saying our QB is the best but it was the 5th game of the season and we are still over .500. Let just see how this plays out.

The thing is, if the offense could hang onto the ball for more than 3 plays, they wouldn't have been able to put up 35 points in the first half. Our offense is as much to blame for those points as the defense is. They scored 21 points in like 6 minutes. That's ridiculous. If our offense could keep a drive going, that may have only been 7 points, because good teams can chew up 5 minutes per possession.

The biggest killer of a good defense is a crappy offense.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Hill will remain the starter and we will continue to lose to good teams throughout the year. Shaun Hill is a game manager, because he has smarts. Outside of that he has nothing. As far as a skill set a qb SHOULD have he has NOTHING. He is not mobile, he holds on to the ball too long and takes sacks, he throws a spiral maybe once a game if he's lucky, his release is so low that it gets knocked down at the line of scrimagge often. The list could go on but yes he has heart and he doesn't make mistakes that often. We dont' need a safety gap at QB we need someone that can take pressure off Gore and the running game by throwing a 50 yard pass to Crabtree/Jones/Morgan. The pass doesn't need to be completed but it's sending that message that if you continue to stack up the box with 8-9 men we will throw the ball deep. When teams play Shaun Hill they laugh, he can't throw a good ball past 15 yards so teams stack the box shut out the running game and force him to throw. Most of his completions are RB and TE. Not sure about you but I think we are maybe the ONLY team in the NFL where our wide receivers don't get a chance to catch 4-5 balls a game? BECAUSE HE DOESNT HAVE THE ARM STRENGTH :( But Alex Smith isn't really the answer lol hate to say it we dont have a "good" qb on this team yet. I will not say Nate Davis because he's young and I don't want to see him in there yet.

Good points but the Jets just drafted Mark Sanchez, he started the season, and is doing just fine. My point is, sometime you have to reach to find what your looking for. We all cancelled out Shawn Hill when his name was brought up a couple years ago to subplant Smith with his atrocoius play. Smith goes down and Hill come in and wins with the same group of players Smith looked lost with. Last year we saw JTO stink the place up, and Shawn came in and tightened up the offense. Teams know who Shawn Hill is now. The secret was, there was no secret. We need use of wide receivers to compete, and Shawn just cant get the ball out there fast enough or far enough. His success may decline now that teams know how to "easily" stop our offense. Try Nate Davis, its not a foolish thing to say anymore. How many rookies are starting for their teams right now?

Wait, When did Shaun Hill ever take over for Alex Smith?

He meant the Alex Smith -> Trent Dilfer -> Shaun Hill progression of 2007
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Henne looked good last night he throws a tight hard spiral and in that last drive he through a 15 yard out and a 15 yard comeback PERFECTLY. Hill couldn't make those throws if he got paid to, oh wait he does get paid and he still can't so I guess that statement sticks. Watch every game he's played in his only throws are dump offs to the running back or short slant patterns where he doesn't need to put anything behind his throws. His touchdown to Morgan against the Rams, even the announcers were LAUGHING at how ugly his throws are. You can only hide it so much eventually it catches up to you. I would hate to see him play in Chicago with heavy wind WOW that would be BAD!

Or Seattle , or SF on a day like today , I don't believe his lack of time due to crap O Line play is why he has the weakest arm I've EVER seen. It's not about the passes being ugly they are not good.
Originally posted by blacksailsmd:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Hill will remain the starter and we will continue to lose to good teams throughout the year. Shaun Hill is a game manager, because he has smarts. Outside of that he has nothing. As far as a skill set a qb SHOULD have he has NOTHING. He is not mobile, he holds on to the ball too long and takes sacks, he throws a spiral maybe once a game if he's lucky, his release is so low that it gets knocked down at the line of scrimagge often. The list could go on but yes he has heart and he doesn't make mistakes that often. We dont' need a safety gap at QB we need someone that can take pressure off Gore and the running game by throwing a 50 yard pass to Crabtree/Jones/Morgan. The pass doesn't need to be completed but it's sending that message that if you continue to stack up the box with 8-9 men we will throw the ball deep. When teams play Shaun Hill they laugh, he can't throw a good ball past 15 yards so teams stack the box shut out the running game and force him to throw. Most of his completions are RB and TE. Not sure about you but I think we are maybe the ONLY team in the NFL where our wide receivers don't get a chance to catch 4-5 balls a game? BECAUSE HE DOESNT HAVE THE ARM STRENGTH :( But Alex Smith isn't really the answer lol hate to say it we dont have a "good" qb on this team yet. I will not say Nate Davis because he's young and I don't want to see him in there yet.

Good points but the Jets just drafted Mark Sanchez, he started the season, and is doing just fine. My point is, sometime you have to reach to find what your looking for. We all cancelled out Shawn Hill when his name was brought up a couple years ago to subplant Smith with his atrocoius play. Smith goes down and Hill come in and wins with the same group of players Smith looked lost with. Last year we saw JTO stink the place up, and Shawn came in and tightened up the offense. Teams know who Shawn Hill is now. The secret was, there was no secret. We need use of wide receivers to compete, and Shawn just cant get the ball out there fast enough or far enough. His success may decline now that teams know how to "easily" stop our offense. Try Nate Davis, its not a foolish thing to say anymore. How many rookies are starting for their teams right now?

Wait, When did Shaun Hill ever take over for Alex Smith?

He meant the Alex Smith -> Trent Dilfer -> Shaun Hill progression of 2007

Right, Thankyou, forgot about Dilfer being amongst the QB mess. Hill took over for Smith THIS year.
Didn't Haley once write a book called " Why Alex Smith would never be good enough to carry Shawn Hills Jock Strap"?
Why does everyone have to post something like this when a player has a bad day? EVERYONE GETS THEM! Might as well get it out of thier systems. Oh gore didnt do good, the next day..Should we start Coffee instead? Oh man, I remember when the majority of people on here were saying hill deserves the job, then what..lets start smith. Lmao what a joke. Stick by your team, and Jimmy raye is calling good playes most the time IMO.

Oh yeah..after everything with crabtree and all last year : ALL WE NEED IS CRABTREE TO WIN! Now i see posts, man we gotta get Dez Bryant(?)

Morgan deserves his shot to play....BENCH HIM Lol you people need to make up your minds,not all of you but we have those sunny day fans and the bandwagoners on this board
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
Why does everyone have to post something like this when a player has a bad day? EVERYONE GETS THEM! Might as well get it out of thier systems. Oh gore didnt do good, the next day..Should we start Coffee instead? Oh man, I remember when the majority of people on here were saying hill deserves the job, then what..lets start smith. Lmao what a joke. Stick by your team, and Jimmy raye is calling good playes most the time IMO.

Oh yeah..after everything with crabtree and all last year : ALL WE NEED IS CRABTREE TO WIN! Now i see posts, man we gotta get Dez Bryant(?)

Morgan deserves his shot to play....BENCH HIM Lol you people need to make up your minds,not all of you but we have those sunny day fans and the bandwagoners on this board

Welcome to Niner Talk. Please check your brain and common sense before entering.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 915Niner915:

No, but Hill really isn't that good. People bring up his great record in games that don't mean much. It was great because the games don't mean much. His rating is also better in those games compared to his rating the 1st 5 games this year. He is about a .500 QB, and will get worse because teams acually watch film on him theis year and have him figured out.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by alpha81:
So what is a game manager??? Three and outs? This sucks! Matt Maiocco just said that Alex has the arm and the potential to lead this team.

Say what you will about Smith, but I think he is the better QB. I think it is funny how people will bash him and say "in 06 he played horrible all game and then pulled a couple drives off to win some games". Shaun Hill has done the same thing, the only difference is that at least Smith you have the threat of a deep accurate pass. Norv Turner said that was Smith's best attribute.

I think if Hill comes out and the offense looks this bad in the first quarter against Houston, he will have no problem pulling Hill. Thats how Hill took the Job from O'Sullivan last year.

Call it an Alexcuse or what you will, but the kid has NOT had a fair shot and basically lost his starting job due to injury. When he was healthy, he was showing a lot more promise than what Hill has, and he did it with a lot less talent.

Deep accurate pass? When has he ever had that? Never. Deep maybe, but hardly accurate.

You people only see what you want to see. The love affair with Smith is over. Learn to move on. Smith fans are like a battered wife who won't leave their husband because "It's not his fault he's like this" and because "he can change".

Wrong. He won't change. He's always sucked and will continue to suck. And that bruise on your eye? Everyone knows you didn't get it falling in the shower.

First off, I didnt say it. Norv Turner said it. I would take his word over yours.

Second, if you think that Shaun Hill is running this offense better than Smith did when he was last healthy, you are blind. The reason why Smith didnt have the wins that Hill does is because he had ZERO defense to bail him out. Up until this game, the defense kept this horrible offense out of trouble.
Im not saying Smith is the answer, I am saying that the guy was showing marked improvement before he got injured. We havent been able to see what he can do after being able to sit and watch for 2 seasons. I also am not saying that Hill should be benched just yet. More than anything, I cant understand why he wasnt put in the game when it was clear we were out of it.

I would like to see what he has to offer. If he sucks then he sucks, but at least give him the opportunity if your current starter is not getting it done. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure he only completed 4 or 5 passes in the first half. That, by my standards, is not getting it done.

Thought I'd look up those pre-injury stats from 2007, because I don't remember Smith being clearly better than what we have seen with Hill thus far, and not having to rely on the defense to bail him out in his few wins...

2007 game one win against Cardinals: 3 for 12 in 3rd down conversions. 102 total net yards passing. No TD passes.

2007 game two win against Rams: 3 for 13 in 3rd down conversions. 97 total passing yards. No TD passes.

2007 game three loss against the Steelers: 5-15 in 3rd down conversions. 198 total passing yards. One TD pass.

2007 game four Smith suffers shoulder injury against Seahawks.

Just as I remember it. Smith was very much struggling before he was injured. People often talk about him as if he had established something, and was on his way to the big time before being injured. That clearly is not the case.

Eh he had worse WRs than Hill does and he had Hos. He sould've gotten credit for a TD in the game vs AZ but Battle fumbled the ball at the one yard line. DDrop was dropping everything, so were VD and Battle. But in 06 was when he was playing well on a decent team that would've made the playoffs if the defense had been mediocre. In camp all we heard was he was hitting Brandon Jones on deep passes over and over again. With Smith at QB we might be able to actually use some of the new players we have, like Crabtree and Jones.

Do you think the 49ers WRs are playing good this year? Because it seems to me there has been a lot drops of very catchable balls this year.

I'm not saying they're not dropping some balls, but they are getting open way more than the WRs Smith had in 07. In the AZ game they showed clips of Morgan running some really good routes and getting himself wide open, but he didn't see the ball. And I saw atleast 5 times he got open pretty quickly and Shaun opted to throw a dump off pass instead. That was in one game. In the Seattle game he got open some too, again he didn't see the ball thrown his way. VS STL if that ball is thrown better, it's a TD instead of a drop but the way it came pretty much straight down he couldn't catch it in stride. You can't sit here and tell me that Hill has been pplaying good, because he didn't have to do much at all in those games that we did win. He played well on the last drive in AZ, but before that I was ready to throw my TV out the window. In Seattle he had like 140 yards passing even though he dropped back like 30 times, had 27 attempts IIRC and 3 or 4 sacks. Guys have been getting open on out routes and he winds up throwing a pie giving the DB time to recover and break up the pass. This isn't working and it's hurting our O. Our WRs looked good last year, and now they suck? I don't by that. We were supposed to have a good stable of recievers this year, now the only guy playing well is Vernon and he's a TE. I know guys have been getting open, and on a lot of those plays Shaun is missing his reads or scared to throw past 10 yards.

Hoooray for the troof. Sean Hill = average game manager. Sometimes luck will be on his side, sometimes it won't.
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by pd24:
Did you guys see the Miami game? The last pass that Henne fired on a comeback rout about 15 yards down the field. Hill can not make that throw. You cant really win if the QB can't make throws like that.

Yes! pretty sad when you watch that game how weak Hill's arm is, I'm pissed at the coaches and GM for trotting that scrub out there week in and week out , it's not his fault he's just not very good

This

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
If he did not start in the second half, he won't start after the bye.

This is not suprising.. The Smith lovers have been waiting for the first subpar game by Hill to scream bloody murder. They finally got their shot. Im surprise it is not worse.. See a bunch of them thought they lost when Hill was appointed starter and look like fools after raising so much Hell on the boards.. So it's their moment to talk again after being mute since the beginning of the season and fortunetley for them it during the bye week, so I expect a lot of BS to come out the next two weeks.. SO sit back and laugh and as you said watch Hill after the bye week..
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't think Hill should be benched but it would be interesting to see Smith with this team.

Oh well...there's always Madden.

Hill sucks in Madden too

Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
If he did not start in the second half, he won't start after the bye.

This is not suprising.. The Smith lovers have been waiting for the first subpar game by Hill to scream bloody murder. They finally got their shot. Im surprise it is not worse.. See a bunch of them thought they lost when Hill was appointed starter and look like fools after raising so much Hell on the boards.. So it's their moment to talk again after being mute since the beginning of the season and fortunetley for them it during the bye week, so I expect a lot of BS to come out the next two weeks.. SO sit back and laugh and as you said watch Hill after the bye week..

I think everyone gave him FIVE SUBPAR GAMES. What have you been watching to say than any game he's played in this year has been up to par?

Right, Thankyou, forgot about Dilfer being amongst the QB mess. Hill took over for Smith THIS year.

Huge reach. Huge. You are implying that Smith had the job to begin with, and Hill won it based on his preseason play? No.
Of course I'm def a smith supporter, however, do not start smith now. I want us to be sure we can't win with Hill. And I say if we lose 2 of the next 3, qb change.

But please, yes our oline sucks, but others have bad lines too, and like most say. When the line does hold up, which it has, becuz he did have over 150 pls yards this game. Hill just didn't make the plays he should have when he had the opportunity. The line held and when it did, he underthrew, overthrew, and just completed basic hill short passes and slants.

Your offense can only carry you as far as your qb will lead you, when given the opportunity. So give hill a few more games to show he can do more than manage a game, before we toss him to the bench for the season.
Share 49ersWebzone