LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

start alex smith after the bye?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

start alex smith after the bye?

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Wow....as of right now....the poll says we are split 50/50 with ovr 1800 vote....

Thats crazy...Id rather take a chance on Nate than every see Alex start another game for us.

If the poll was Nate Davis vs. Shaun Hill, Hill would probably lose.

You're probably right. That just goes to show you something about this forum.

Before you go the whole n00b route, I've been reading this forum regularly for at least 4 years and have seen it turn into what it's turned into.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Wow....as of right now....the poll says we are split 50/50 with ovr 1800 vote....

Thats crazy...Id rather take a chance on Nate than every see Alex start another game for us.

Before you go the whole n00b route, I've been reading this forum regularly for at least 4 years and have seen it turn into what it's turned into.

Blame it on the organization for being losers for an entire decade. This is the result.

why is every1 on davis's balls way to go he lit up the third team RAIDER D and the cowboys D he couldnt do s**t against chargers i think he got like total of 1 first dpwn in 1 half against he second team he seems to play well against people who are gonna be cut from the pathetic teams cant do s**t against he backups

Great idea. Let's rush the development of Davis. That has always worked out for the Niners in the past.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

why is every1 on davis's balls way to go he lit up the third team RAIDER D and the cowboys D he couldnt do s**t against chargers i think he got like total of 1 first dpwn in 1 half against he second team he seems to play well against people who are gonna be cut from the pathetic teams cant do s**t against he backups

By contrast, Hill absolutely lit it up in preseason, and he's continuing to do so in the regular season. That's why nobody is talking about the QB position right now. Hill silenced everyone because he's on pace for 16 TDs, the same number of TDs Smith had 3 years ago when he was 22 years old.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Everyone does already know that:

* Smith is not a natural improviser. He struggles until completely knowing the playbook inside & out.

* He is not consistently accurate. Throws at peoples feet when hurried. Will sometimes start a good drive, then throw a stinker of a pass on 3rd down.

* Sometimes gets happy feet instead of standing tall in the pocket. Throws the ball away out of fear of making a mistake too often in a game.

* Does not have that instinctive pocket awareness timer. Holds on to the ball too long, and throws late or behind the was-once-open receiver.

No. They know that about a 22 year old Alex Smith. Not Alex Smith today.

And as far as this goes...

* Smith is not a natural improviser. He struggles until completely knowing the playbook inside & out.

Just because his college coach said that about the way he was when he was 19 and Barrows mentions it over and over and over it does not mean it's true. We've all seen him improvise and make plays with his arm and his legs.

Agreed. Even though you have only seen it in flashes against AZ and STL, you saw something that was special. I have not ever seen anything like that with Shaun Hill. Not that I do not like Hill, and not that I am an Alex lover. I just think that this team is more of a threat offensively with a guy with more talent.

I would be willing to bet that if Alex Smith were put into the starting role, you would see him struggle at first while shaking the rust off, but after a few weeks he looks completely different than he did 3 years ago.

All I am saying is that this guy deserves a shot with a roster that is worlds more talented than it was when he was last healthy, and Sunday would have been a perfect opportunity to give it to him when we were down 25 in the 3rd quarter.

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Oct 12, 2009 at 18:26:42 ]
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
All I can say is watch Sanchez tonight. Now imagine him on our team. See a difference?

Agreed. He's much better than Smith.

Much better than anyone we've had since 2002.

Sanchez comes strait from college and starts the season for the Jets. No grooming or clipboard for one or two years. How can we be sure our rookie isnt this ready?
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
I would rather see smith start and fail then see a 2nd rate game manager qb under center and be revealed against elite teams like we saw today

thank you... I completely agree

By contrast, Hill absolutely lit it up in preseason, and he's continuing to do so in the regular season. That's why nobody is talking about the QB position right now. Hill silenced everyone because he's on pace for 16 TDs, the same number of TDs Smith had 3 years ago when he was 22 years old.

....and less talent around him on both O and D. Not to mention, the roster is COMPLETELY revamped.

2006:

Offensive Starters
QB Alex Smith
RB Frank Gore
FB Moran Norris
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Antonio Bryant
TE Vernon Davis
LT Jonas Jennings
LG Larry Allen
C Eric Heitmann
RG Justin Smiley
RT Kwame Harris

Defensive Starters
LDE Bryant Young
NT Anthony Adams
RDE Marques Douglas
LOLB Manny Lawson
LILB Derek Smith
RILB Jeff Ulbrich
ROLB Brandon Moore
LCB Shawntae Spencer
RCB Walt Harris
SS Mark Roman
FS Keith Lewis

Out of those guys above, 14 of the positions have changed (15 if you include QB) and 11 aren't even on the team anymore. Not to mention that on defense alone we have added The Monster, Clements, Smith, Spikes, Bly, M. Lewis, and a hell of a lot more depth. The young guys like Haralson, Lawson, and McDonald are coming around too.

Offensively, the line is probably worse, but there is more talent in the skill positions.

Honestly, I do not see what it hurts to give Smith the shot because I really doubt he could do any worse than Hill has, and he has a lot more upside.
wow after 1600 votes 50% 50%

you guys justify Hill with bad oline, but Alex smith had Jonas Jennings and Kwamae Harris as his tackes

[ Edited by 49erman5692 on Oct 12, 2009 at 18:49:42 ]
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
you guys justify Hill with bad oline, but Alex smith had Honas Jennings and Kwamae Harris as his tackes

Seriously! (even though Jennings was pretty good in 06')
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

....and less talent around him on both O and D. Not to mention, the roster is COMPLETELY revamped.

2006:

Offensive Starters
QB Alex Smith
RB Frank Gore
FB Moran Norris
WR Arnaz Battle
WR Antonio Bryant
TE Vernon Davis
LT Jonas Jennings
LG Larry Allen
C Eric Heitmann
RG Justin Smiley
RT Kwame Harris

Defensive Starters
LDE Bryant Young
NT Anthony Adams
RDE Marques Douglas
LOLB Manny Lawson
LILB Derek Smith
RILB Jeff Ulbrich
ROLB Brandon Moore
LCB Shawntae Spencer
RCB Walt Harris
SS Mark Roman
FS Keith Lewis

Out of those guys above, 14 of the positions have changed (15 if you include QB) and 11 aren't even on the team anymore. Not to mention that on defense alone we have added The Monster, Clements, Smith, Spikes, Bly, M. Lewis, and a hell of a lot more depth. The young guys like Haralson, Lawson, and McDonald are coming around too.

Offensively, the line is probably worse, but there is more talent in the skill positions.

Honestly, I do not see what it hurts to give Smith the shot because I really doubt he could do any worse than Hill has, and he has a lot more upside.

THANK GOD!!!! now this man has common sense
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
I would rather see smith start and fail then see a 2nd rate game manager qb under center and be revealed against elite teams like we saw today

thank you... I completely agree

Then why put in Smith? In case all of you Smith homers forgot. HE IS WORSE THAN HILL. Heck, Smith can't even do what Hill has done. If he could, he would be PLAYING, don't ya think?? Smith doesn't give us a better chance than Hill. WOW.
I don't think Hill should be benched but it would be interesting to see Smith with this team.

Oh well...there's always Madden.
Share 49ersWebzone