LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 337 users in the forums

Eugene Parker has no class

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Xestenz:
One thing to keep in mind is that recruiting talent to one agency or another is very competitive.

Parker has just given his competition huge ammunition to use against him.

You think Rosenhaus or others won't be all over this when potential draft picks start signing up? Fear and doubt is a powerful motivator.

The ammo is far from huge really. This is the first client he has attempted to get more than his slotted worth in 5 years and the last one he did it with he came out on top. It's not like he is going to try this or tries this with every client he has.

Drew Rosenhaus comes to mind as a good comparison here. He has been accused of violating NFLPA rules by other agents but still manages to gain new clients and top prospects each and every year because he has a good rep of getting players good deals like Parker.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
One thing to keep in mind is that recruiting talent to one agency or another is very competitive.

Parker has just given his competition huge ammunition to use against him.

You think Rosenhaus or others won't be all over this when potential draft picks start signing up? Fear and doubt is a powerful motivator.

The ammo is far from huge really. This is the first client he has attempted to get more than his slotted worth in 5 years and the last one he did it with he came out on top. It's not like he is going to try this or tries this with every client he has.

Drew Rosenhaus comes to mind as a good comparison here. He has been accused of violating NFLPA rules by other agents but still manages to gain new clients and top prospects each and every year because he has a good rep of getting players good deals like Parker.

Agreed. The Crabtree holdout and resulting contract will only have a marginal effect, if any at all, on Parker securing new clients because of his history of "good deals." However, I still believe, in this instance, Parker threw Crab to the wolves and that was a very crappy thing to do.
[

The ammo is far from huge really. This is the first client he has attempted to get more than his slotted worth in 5 years and the last one he did it with he came out on top.

That we know about.

His clients have a history of holding out.
[

The ammo is far from huge really. This is the first client he has attempted to get more than his slotted worth in 5 years and the last one he did it with he came out on top.

That we know about.

His clients have a history of holding out.

And this brings to mind another point. Some negotations are contentious and have media attention, but very rarely is a situation like this subject to such media attention and fan comment across the country -- and most of that comment seemed to be that Parker was doing his client a very real disservice here (MadDog's opinion aside.)

So, there might have been many more less public instances where Parker displayed less than his client's best interests.

The fact that this one was so well publicized simply emphasizes that disservice.

I'm sure that many college football players were aware of this situation in a way they never would have been of Parker's deals in the past.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Ok, so he's no Jerry Mcguire, we see that. Crabs looked very shaky and unprepared for his presser and to be honest, the media was very merciful on him. I could see him getting eaten alive had he been in an east coast market(NYC, Phi, NE, etc.) The more he talked, the more I saw the diva image vanish. So that makes me wonder who was driving his late arrival.....

Maddog, you don't feel that this whole fiasco has hurt his rep a bit? With all the bad air around him, I'd want to explore my options before committing to him if I was an NFL prospect.

The Crabtree holdout is not going to hurt his rep especially when you look at other contracts he has negotiated as of late like the extensions of Steven Jackson, Greg Jennings and Jason Peters. I'm sure he'd still claim a victory on the total worth of this deal with a max of 40 million and has Larry Fitzgerald's rookie deal to show for as well.

If you don't know or don't remember he managed to get the 3rd overall pick in Fitz 6 million more on the total worth than the #1 overall Eli Manning and got the Cards to match Eli's guaranteed amount of 20 million so just because he could not get the 49ers to bust the slot on Crabtree's guaranteed amount or that his client held out for 72 days does not mean he is unsuccessful or a scumbag. He is very very good at what he does.

In the end it is up to the client and not Parker as to whether a deal offered will be accepted. Parker simply informs his client of whether he thinks the offer is fair or whether he thinks he can get a better contract negotiated.

I think the Crabtree holdout "dings" his rep a little since, it was pointless (since he could have likely gotten the same contract had he just come to the bargaining table earlier) and made his client look bad, BUT he has plenty of successes to fall back on, as you mentioned.

Just like everyone, he has his victories and his defeats. But yeah...he's been a successful agent and his entire body of work speaks for him, not just this situation.

I'm not so sure it is true that he had the same deal on the table as before. As Brandt stated in his article, Crabtree's holdout possibly gained him an extra $8 million over the previous offer from the Niners, which was reported to be 5 years, $20 million. His final contract was 6 years, $32 million (the sixth year is valued at $4 million), with the potential of an additional $8 million extra dollars if he makes the Pro-Bowl in one year (more challenging), and he takes 80% of the snaps in another year in which the Niners make the playoff (less challenging).

Once again, nobody truly knows what each side was offering, at at which point in time, but it seemed like the Niners' offer, as discussed with the beat writers who had conversations with Niners' management, was at a much lower number before and during the holdout.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 9, 2009 at 11:58:07 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Ok, so he's no Jerry Mcguire, we see that. Crabs looked very shaky and unprepared for his presser and to be honest, the media was very merciful on him. I could see him getting eaten alive had he been in an east coast market(NYC, Phi, NE, etc.) The more he talked, the more I saw the diva image vanish. So that makes me wonder who was driving his late arrival.....

Maddog, you don't feel that this whole fiasco has hurt his rep a bit? With all the bad air around him, I'd want to explore my options before committing to him if I was an NFL prospect.

The Crabtree holdout is not going to hurt his rep especially when you look at other contracts he has negotiated as of late like the extensions of Steven Jackson, Greg Jennings and Jason Peters. I'm sure he'd still claim a victory on the total worth of this deal with a max of 40 million and has Larry Fitzgerald's rookie deal to show for as well.

If you don't know or don't remember he managed to get the 3rd overall pick in Fitz 6 million more on the total worth than the #1 overall Eli Manning and got the Cards to match Eli's guaranteed amount of 20 million so just because he could not get the 49ers to bust the slot on Crabtree's guaranteed amount or that his client held out for 72 days does not mean he is unsuccessful or a scumbag. He is very very good at what he does.

In the end it is up to the client and not Parker as to whether a deal offered will be accepted. Parker simply informs his client of whether he thinks the offer is fair or whether he thinks he can get a better contract negotiated.

I think the Crabtree holdout "dings" his rep a little since, it was pointless (since he could have likely gotten the same contract had he just come to the bargaining table earlier) and made his client look bad, BUT he has plenty of successes to fall back on, as you mentioned.

Just like everyone, he has his victories and his defeats. But yeah...he's been a successful agent and his entire body of work speaks for him, not just this situation.

I'm not so sure it is true that he had the same deal on the table as before. As Brandt stated in his article, Crabtree's holdout possibly gained him an extra $8 million over the previous offer from the Niners, which was reported to be 5 years, $20 million. His final contract was 6 years, $32 million (the sixth year is valued at $4 million), with the potential of an additional $8 million extra dollars if he makes the Pro-Bowl in one year (more challenging), and he takes 80% of the snaps in another year in which the Niners make the playoff (less challenging).

it sounds a pretty similar deal, except for that fact that its an extra year longer. you hear a lot about that 2nd contract, how that's where the real money is made. If so, then I think its fair to say that crabtree ended up with worse deal than was originally offered.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Yea crabs looked real uncomfortable being Alone...Parkers a punk and he didn't want to take the blame.

No kidding. Amazing how quickly Parker and his shill Deion Sanders have moved on now that the contract has been signed. They are now working on ruining Dez Bryant's career just like they almost ruined Crabtree's.

Meh. This is just the agent acting as a fall guy so his client doesn't look like a total douche-bag. Good move for Eugene to fall on the sword to improve Crabtree's post-deal relationship with the 49ers and their fans.

WTF are you talking about? He hasn't "fallen on the sword" for Crabtree. He left Crabtree hanging out to dry in front of the media, and if you were watching, Parker and Deion didn't exactly prepare him very well for his interviews. Parker is a soulless, money grubbing agent who gave a player bad advice, caved in, and then went back into hiding instead of facing the media with his client. Way to strengthen the relationship, Eugene!

Once again, I believe the "hiding" word is horribly unfair. As stated earlier, this is not a guy who hangs out at press conferences, and discusses things with the media. If you do a google search on Eugene Parker statements, press conferences, interviews, etc. you really cannot find much, if anything. Even after some of his mega contracts have been signed.

He does the behind the scenes work, and then disappears. It is not a matter if he has received a perfect contract or not.

P.S. You will notice that Parker will not even attempt to defend himself in the media. A regular guy would be attempting to set the record straight. This is simply not important to him.

Finally, the old timers in the media who have known Parker are not the ones making these statements. It is only the younger beat writers, or website masters (MM and Mike Florio are the ones really beating the drum, and they could hardly be seen as objective throughout this whole process), who have had little to no contact over the years with Parker who seem to be accusing him of abandoning Crabtree. The John Claytons, Len Pastabelly's of the world are not making these statements. In fact, they are the only ones who have commented on Parker's style of working as an agent throughout this process.

The only reason I am responding to this thread is that I believe the accusations are really unfair. If people knew his style, they would not accuse him of abandoning Crabtree.

Regardless of his "m.o." or his "style," consciously leaving your client alone on an island surrounded by sharks is not the right thing to do (IMO). His previous clients' situations which define his "m.o." and "style" are not the same as this. Don't forget this is a "special" contract.

Nice post, ghostrider! This contract negotiation was special without a doubt. Parker was trying to beat the slotting system and using a very high profile player under special circumstances to do so. The least Parker could do would be to show up to one press conference before he moved on to his next victim (er, I mean client). Sorry Maddog! Gotta disagree with you on this one, too.

Once again, nobody truly knows what each side was offering, at at which point in time, but it seemed like the Niners' offer, as discussed with the beat writers who had conversations with Niners' management, was at a much lower number before and during the holdout.

I never said that the contract that Crabtree signed was on the table before Parker & Crabtree flew out here.

What I said was that in my opinion, the terms of the eventual contract were attainable had Parker chosen to merely negotiate with the Niners two months ago, and that the holdout was superfluous and unproductive.

The final terms of the deal fall within the slot in every practical sense, and will only exceed the slot if Crabtree is a Pro Bowl caliber player, which a scenario in which everyone wins and I'm sure the Niners wouldn't mind paying the extra money. According to reports, the Niners were willing to offer an incentive laden contract 2 months ago.

Therefore, Parker obtained this contract simply by opening lines of communication...not via the holdout, making said holdout unnecessary.
oh yea, totally. and the fact that he let the whole world destroy crabs public image and he just stays mum? this is a bad agent. bad bad bad. im very shocked crabs didnt just fire him after the signing. the agent made him lose a season, get paid the same/or less money, and destroyed his public appeal. aweful job by the agent.

Did you say $40,000,000?!?!

[ Edited by JizzmasterZero on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:41:07 ]

Parker was expecting us to lose the first couple games and then promote Crabtree as our savior and get paid a truckload of cash ...well Singletary and our boys had other plans and screwed up his plan by winning games and playing solid football, I'm sure Crabtree saw what was going on and wanted to be part of something special before it was too late.

Parkers plan blew up right in his face

I never said that the contract that Crabtree signed was on the table before Parker & Crabtree flew out here.

What I said was that in my opinion, the terms of the eventual contract were attainable had Parker chosen to merely negotiate with the Niners two months ago, and that the holdout was superfluous and unproductive.

The final terms of the deal fall within the slot in every practical sense, and will only exceed the slot if Crabtree is a Pro Bowl caliber player, which a scenario in which everyone wins and I'm sure the Niners wouldn't mind paying the extra money. According to reports, the Niners were willing to offer an incentive laden contract 2 months ago.

Therefore, Parker obtained this contract simply by opening lines of communication...not via the holdout, making said holdout unnecessary.

Thank you for providing the most rational and honest analysis.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Yea crabs looked real uncomfortable being Alone...Parkers a punk and he didn't want to take the blame.

No kidding. Amazing how quickly Parker and his shill Deion Sanders have moved on now that the contract has been signed. They are now working on ruining Dez Bryant's career just like they almost ruined Crabtree's.

Meh. This is just the agent acting as a fall guy so his client doesn't look like a total douche-bag. Good move for Eugene to fall on the sword to improve Crabtree's post-deal relationship with the 49ers and their fans.

WTF are you talking about? He hasn't "fallen on the sword" for Crabtree. He left Crabtree hanging out to dry in front of the media, and if you were watching, Parker and Deion didn't exactly prepare him very well for his interviews. Parker is a soulless, money grubbing agent who gave a player bad advice, caved in, and then went back into hiding instead of facing the media with his client. Way to strengthen the relationship, Eugene!

Once again, I believe the "hiding" word is horribly unfair. As stated earlier, this is not a guy who hangs out at press conferences, and discusses things with the media. If you do a google search on Eugene Parker statements, press conferences, interviews, etc. you really cannot find much, if anything. Even after some of his mega contracts have been signed.

He does the behind the scenes work, and then disappears. It is not a matter if he has received a perfect contract or not.

P.S. You will notice that Parker will not even attempt to defend himself in the media. A regular guy would be attempting to set the record straight. This is simply not important to him.

Finally, the old timers in the media who have known Parker are not the ones making these statements. It is only the younger beat writers, or website masters (MM and Mike Florio are the ones really beating the drum, and they could hardly be seen as objective throughout this whole process), who have had little to no contact over the years with Parker who seem to be accusing him of abandoning Crabtree. The John Claytons, Len Pastabelly's of the world are not making these statements. In fact, they are the only ones who have commented on Parker's style of working as an agent throughout this process.

The only reason I am responding to this thread is that I believe the accusations are really unfair. If people knew his style, they would not accuse him of abandoning Crabtree.

Regardless of his "m.o." or his "style," consciously leaving your client alone on an island surrounded by sharks is not the right thing to do (IMO). His previous clients' situations which define his "m.o." and "style" are not the same as this. Don't forget this is a "special" contract.

Nice post, ghostrider! This contract negotiation was special without a doubt. Parker was trying to beat the slotting system and using a very high profile player under special circumstances to do so. The least Parker could do would be to show up to one press conference before he moved on to his next victim (er, I mean client). Sorry Maddog! Gotta disagree with you on this one, too.

Thanks. I aim to please
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by kronik:
Does anyone have a pic of this guy? I want to be able to recognize him if I coincidentally have some tomatos in my hands.

both hammer and eazy got a deal done
Originally posted by Maddog:
Finally, the old timers in the media who have known Parker are not the ones making these statements. It is only the younger beat writers, or website masters (MM and Mike Florio are the ones really beating the drum, and they could hardly be seen as objective throughout this whole process)

Maddog seriously needs to lay off trying to bust Maiocco's balls. You say he hasn't been objective, but you're talking about his blog, so of course he can be objective, they're more like editorials. If you read his newspaper articles, they're all objective and usually less interesting than his blog.
Share 49ersWebzone