LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 446 users in the forums

Shaun Hill is Clutch!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by erndoogie46:

Enjoy the gradual resurgence towards greatness that Singletary and the team (yes, Alex, included) are giving us, as fans!

Yeah, all that pine-riding and clipboard-holding is clearly helping our defense dominate games. How can you guys not see this and give credit to Alex Smith for our great start to the season?

[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 9, 2009 at 00:40:50 ]
  • 52Willis52
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by erndoogie46:
Originally posted by 9er_84:
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Hill is aweful for a half and amazing for the other sooo.... he is nothing special

ALEX SMITH IS AWESOME FOR A QUARTER IN A SEATTLE GAME 2 YEARS AGO...and is awfull for the rest of his career..yet still wins loyalty...

HATER!!!! .......... How did you bring Alex Smith into this? U probabaly think Nedney is overrated and that Andy Lee is only good because he gets to punt more often than others!

Enjoy the gradual resurgence towards greatness that Singletary and the team (yes, Alex, included) are giving us, as fans! Or, go away and mimmick Rush Limbaugh somewhere else!

Who are you people, that can still be bitter?

the only reason anyone would even DARE to THINK to bring up Alex is if they thought that Shaun was no good. cause then he'd be the only alternative. just clearing that up.
Originally posted by K-Rise:
QBs getting it done in fourth quarters

October 7, 2009 4:04 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

A quick look at NFL quaterbacks with fourth-quarter passer ratings in the 80s or higher through Week 4, minimum 10 attempts:
Fourth-quarter Passing Through Week 4

Comp. Att. Yards TD INT Rating
Eli Manning
20 27 302 3 0 147.5
Kyle Orton
17 23 362 2 0 144.7
Shaun Hill
24 31 259 3 0 133.7

Aaron Rodgers
21 36 380 3 0 122.5
Peyton Manning
19 26 263 1 0 117.9
Jay Cutler
22 28 241 2 1 111.5
Drew Brees
15 20 142 1 0 110.8
Joe Flacco
23 36 333 3 1 110.1
Philip Rivers
27 43 426 3 1 109.3
Tom Brady
31 50 322 3 0 100.6
Brett Favre
22 34 188 2 0 98.7
Ben Roethlisberger
23 29 210 0 0 96.8
Matt Cassel
19 35 193 4 1 96.5
Jason Campbell
25 36 248 2 1 95.6
Trent Edwards
20 35 240 3 1 94.9
Tony Romo
14 30 283 1 0 91.4
Seneca Wallace
32 50 258 1 0 83.6
David Garrard
17 32 222 2 1 83.1
Carson Palmer
23 39 238 2 1 83.1

Not all fourth-quarter numbers are created equally, as Seneca Wallace detractors know, but the guys leading this list have played well late in games when outcomes were on the line. Shaun Hill gets credit for leading two 80-yard touchdown drives to take leads in fourth quarters at Arizona and at Minnesota.

Thanks to ESPN Stats & Information for the chart info.

Clutch? Do you even know the MEANING of the term? Seriously, I don't see how anyone can even consider the man "clutch" until he plays like it and he doesn't. Yet.

~Ceadder
Now he just needs to work on his first half numbers. Does he have any TDs in the first half? I am tired of waiting till halftime for an offensive touchdown...
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
i wouldnt say "clutch" i would go more towards "taken care of buisness"

word !
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
i wouldnt say "clutch" i would go more towards "taken care of buisness"

word !

all i care about is 7-0 and Hopfully after this Sunday 8-0 other s**t don't Matter if he throws a bowling ball , as long as we win !

[ Edited by cNiner on Oct 9, 2009 at 08:00:52 ]
Hill knows how to win games, nuff said ..he will still be undefeated at the stick after the falcons game
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He is not costing us games, what more can you ask for at this point in time? Clutch?
I have seen nothing to make me want to have to count on him to have to win a game. We are a defense first team, so Hill will usually not have to be the one to win the game. As long as the defense keeps it close, we always have a chance. I think that any of our QB's could win with this defense having their back.

Just ran across this on ESPN, Clutch players don't end up on this list...

Overmatched Players...

Did you notice that Peyton Manning is two slots below Shaun Hill in this list? Obviously this list is totally useless in drawing any conclusions of who is a good or bad QB.
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
He is not costing us games, what more can you ask for at this point in time? Clutch?
I have seen nothing to make me want to have to count on him to have to win a game. We are a defense first team, so Hill will usually not have to be the one to win the game. As long as the defense keeps it close, we always have a chance. I think that any of our QB's could win with this defense having their back.

Overmatched Players...

Have you been watching the games so far? Hill has led needed TD drives this year and even *GASP* passed for a TD. I'd say that's clutch. Who knows how many he might have before the years over. He may even go into the crapper. But he is the answer for now and seems to be making the most of it. We all know why you hate on Hill.

I am happy with the results Hill is putting up, it is all about the W. I just think some of you guys are getting carried away about a mediocre player. It is funny how some posters here are so knee jerk with their opinions about our players. Just because I want our QB to play better, make quicker decisions, not throw into double and triple coverage, and learn how to throw a spiral, it doesn't mean I hate the man. So far it hasn't hurt us, but our schedule gets a lot tougher the next couple of months, and we are going to need better play from the o line and Hill. I think Crabtree will help Hills numbers because he runs the bubble screen so well, and that is the kind of pass that Hill can throw. I don't "hate on" Hill, I don't "hate on" anyone, so please don't "hate on" me.

I'm with you, how can anyone hate having Gomer Pyle for your Qb but just because he's a regular guy doesn't make it ok to ignore that he is throwing into double coverage and he's a weak passer it's a fact doesn't mean you can't like the wins , the most frequent remark is " He hasn't lost us any games" yeah I should hope not, we saw enough of that the last year

Interesting that you guys make an emphasis that he makes bad decisions of throwing into coverage. Accurate QBs throw into coverage, and hit their receivers instead of the defensive players. So far is he has thrown one interception in four games, and that was when Delanie Walker tripped on a deep sideline sprint.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Overmatched Players...

Have you been watching the games so far? Hill has led needed TD drives this year and even *GASP* passed for a TD. I'd say that's clutch. Who knows how many he might have before the years over. He may even go into the crapper. But he is the answer for now and seems to be making the most of it. We all know why you hate on Hill.

I am happy with the results Hill is putting up, it is all about the W. I just think some of you guys are getting carried away about a mediocre player. It is funny how some posters here are so knee jerk with their opinions about our players. Just because I want our QB to play better, make quicker decisions, not throw into double and triple coverage, and learn how to throw a spiral, it doesn't mean I hate the man. So far it hasn't hurt us, but our schedule gets a lot tougher the next couple of months, and we are going to need better play from the o line and Hill. I think Crabtree will help Hills numbers because he runs the bubble screen so well, and that is the kind of pass that Hill can throw. I don't "hate on" Hill, I don't "hate on" anyone, so please don't "hate on" me.

I'm with you, how can anyone hate having Gomer Pyle for your Qb but just because he's a regular guy doesn't make it ok to ignore that he is throwing into double coverage and he's a weak passer it's a fact doesn't mean you can't like the wins , the most frequent remark is " He hasn't lost us any games" yeah I should hope not, we saw enough of that the last year

Interesting that you guys make an emphasis that he makes bad decisions of throwing into coverage. Accurate QBs throw into coverage, and hit their receivers instead of the defensive players. So far is he has thrown one interception in four games, and that was when Delanie Walker tripped on a deep sideline sprint.

No, Shaun Hill must turn every drive into TD's, like Alex Smith did.

Overmatched Players...

Exactly! aren't good QB's supposed to be able to throw into double and triple coverage? As long as the ball isn't in a location that is easy for the the INT, the reciever should be able to make the play.
Doesn't it seem premature to label Hill "clutch?"

1. For those who say he "wins," my impression is that our defense was the primary reason for most of our wins this year. And if Gore had not broken off two 80 yard TDs, we would have lost that game too.

2. I have always felt that the mark of a clutch QB is one who wins games when they matter in the post-season against good defensive teams. Maybe Shawn belongs in that catagory, but he hasn't shown us that ability yet.

So, I have to join those who are withholding judgment right now.
Our record speaks for itself... as long as we keep winning he's clutch but once we start losing let the contraversy begin...
Originally posted by excelsior:
Doesn't it seem premature to label Hill "clutch?"

1. For those who say he "wins," my impression is that our defense was the primary reason for most of our wins this year. And if Gore had not broken off two 80 yard TDs, we would have lost that game too.

2. I have always felt that the mark of a clutch QB is one who wins games when they matter in the post-season against good defensive teams. Maybe Shawn belongs in that catagory, but he hasn't shown us that ability yet.

So, I have to join those who are withholding judgment right now.

Agreed.

This is like a teenager having sex for the first time, 5 seconds and DONE. Sorry, we've played 4 games and Shaun has had one touchdown drive that lead to win so far. Good work. Otherwise, that's not clutch IMO. Touchdowns in the 4th quarter are great, but with our defense, we need to score earlier in the game so we can start bringing more pressure. Shaun still has a lot to prove before I call him clutch.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Overmatched Players...

No, Shaun Hill must turn every drive into TD's, like Alex Smith did.

That's ridiculous, you sound like a child, not even I expect him to end every drive with a TD , what do you consider reasonable 50% , 33% , 25% I don't know what percentage of drives have ended in a TD let alone a FG but I bet it's not close to any of these numbers
Share 49ersWebzone