LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers vs. Crabtree (Contract - Who Won?)

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Holy crap. +25 cool points in my book for the proper use of the word "sophistry".

what does it mean pete? what does it mean?

It's the act of using confusing or illogical argument for the purpose of deceit.

sweet.... that is going in to my vocabulary... hopefully I can use it at work tonight

how is it pronounced?

sof-is-stree?

sa-fist-ree?

I think it's the first one, but I'm not totally sure. A more modern way of saying the same thing is,. "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t."

Ah, you fixed it before I could point out your minor flaw. That's a great saying btw.

Yeah, but that "minor" flaw completely changed the meaning of it.

I'd say that 75% of my posts are minor streams of consciousness that I don't really re-read (because they're made between doing work), so half the time I go back later and say...."the f**k did I just say"?

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 7, 2009 at 15:55:05 ]
I'm still a little confused on the contract breakdown.

He has 17 million n guaranteed money. And can gain an extra 8 million with a highly unlikely (but possible if he's a beast) 8 million excellerator to bring it up to 40 million total. But what exactly is the other 15 million? Is this signing bonus stuff or what?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The most important thing is that the deal is done, whether someone "won" or "lost".

In the end, as I predicted for some time now, it would take a unique contract to get both sides to agree, and one that both sides can claim victory. And, both sides did win, if the argument was about maintaining or breeching the slot.

And, as I predicted, the Niners held onto the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree signed out of the slot in total money.

While Mike Florio goes around pounding his chest in "victory", since he was an antagonist against the Crabtree postion from the beginning (Crabtree must have done something to him in a previous life), even he concedes that Crabtree's deal is better than Raji's (not in that language), as Raji can only close up to Crabtree's numbers if he hits his incentives, while Crabtree does not reach his. If both hit all incentives, Crabtree's contract far surpasses Raji's.

And, while those who stood against Crabtree are happy that this is a six year deal, and calculate the numbers in this way, in the end, with 5 or 6 missed games in 2009, this is really a prorated 5 2/3 year deal that could be voided down to a 4 2/3 year deal.

So, the real calculation for Crabtree's number should not be at 6 years, but 5.66 years, since he did not join the team until today.

So, with no penalties for signing late, 5.66 years at a base of $32 million (6 years at $40 million is the number if escalators are hit) is not bad. Certainly, Crabtree and Parker won this battle. Raji's base is 5 years at $22.5 million.

I think both sides are satisfied with the contract. The Niners admirably fought hard to stick to the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree was able to generate an outstanding payday ahead over the life of this contract. It will be interesting to hear how this contract played out in the mind of Eugene Parker, but he rarely, if ever, discusses contracts with the media. He is more of a ghost than anything else.

P.S. I believe that some people who are desperate to claim a Crabtree defeat state that this contract was the same offered in July. I sincerely doubt that this was the same one. I think both sides met in the middle, and this contract was not the one originally offered by the Niners (even in a 5-year deal).

Cheers.

It's tough to tell who got owned more—Parker or you.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
The most important thing is that the deal is done, whether someone "won" or "lost".

In the end, as I predicted for some time now, it would take a unique contract to get both sides to agree, and one that both sides can claim victory. And, both sides did win, if the argument was about maintaining or breeching the slot.

And, as I predicted, the Niners held onto the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree signed out of the slot in total money.

While Mike Florio goes around pounding his chest in "victory", since he was an antagonist against the Crabtree postion from the beginning (Crabtree must have done something to him in a previous life), even he concedes that Crabtree's deal is better than Raji's (not in that language), as Raji can only close up to Crabtree's numbers if he hits his incentives, while Crabtree does not reach his. If both hit all incentives, Crabtree's contract far surpasses Raji's.

And, while those who stood against Crabtree are happy that this is a six year deal, and calculate the numbers in this way, in the end, with 5 or 6 missed games in 2009, this is really a prorated 5 2/3 year deal that could be voided down to a 4 2/3 year deal.

So, the real calculation for Crabtree's number should not be at 6 years, but 5.66 years, since he did not join the team until today.

So, with no penalties for signing late, 5.66 years at a base of $32 million (6 years at $40 million is the number if escalators are hit) is not bad. Certainly, Crabtree and Parker won this battle. Raji's base is 5 years at $22.5 million.

I think both sides are satisfied with the contract. The Niners admirably fought hard to stick to the slot in guaranteed money, and Crabtree was able to generate an outstanding payday ahead over the life of this contract. It will be interesting to hear how this contract played out in the mind of Eugene Parker, but he rarely, if ever, discusses contracts with the media. He is more of a ghost than anything else.

P.S. I believe that some people who are desperate to claim a Crabtree defeat state that this contract was the same offered in July. I sincerely doubt that this was the same one. I think both sides met in the middle, and this contract was not the one originally offered by the Niners (even in a 5-year deal).

Cheers.

That was pretty good.

If all the Vets around here know MadDog holds no credibility, does that make him king of the noobs?
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Some Crow anyone?

Come on - this is CLEARLY a win for the 49ers. CLEARLY.

- 6 year deal

- $17 mil guarantee

- Incentives require PRO BOWL (for 2 seasons?) play AND 80% of offensive snaps (so there's no way he can do that this season and only has 2 years to accomplish this in a run-oriented offense.

- NO OPTION BONUS, but "discretionary" compensation subject to forfeit if he holds out in future years?

LOL! This is a lock'em up deal and probably WORSE than the deal he would have done if it were a standard 5-year rook deal with the traditional option, escalators and incentives.

You just can't spin this as a win-win. Parker has lost MAJOR credibility as an agent on this one. Teams are now going to take harder lines with his clients. 49ers got everything they wanted and then some.

Quoted for TRUTH!!!
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

He has 17 million n guaranteed money. And can gain an extra 8 million with a highly unlikely (but possible if he's a beast) 8 million excellerator to bring it up to 40 million total. But what exactly is the other 15 million? Is this signing bonus stuff or what?

Ok, I'll break it down for you.

He signed for 17 million guaranteed. The End.

Everything else is basically bull#$@t because we don't have to pay it unless he is worth it.

The other 15 million is base salary, or yearly salary. So hypothetically, it could be...

2009: 1 million
2010: 2 million
2011: 2 million
2012: 3 million
2013: 3 million
2014: 4 million

Those numbers aren't accurate, just used for the purpose of explanation.
No matter how much I get harassed and accused at least I will have peace of mind that I am not hated more than Maddog. Thank you Maddog for being you.
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Cheers.

MadPup was as wrong about Crabtree/Parker as he usually is about the draft. Typical.
Holy crap. +25 cool points in my book for the proper use of the word "sophistry".

what does it mean pete? what does it mean?

It's the act of using confusing or illogical argument for the purpose of deceit.

sweet.... that is going in to my vocabulary... hopefully I can use it at work tonight

how is it pronounced?

sof-is-stree?

sa-fist-ree?

I think it's the first one, but I'm not totally sure. A more modern way of saying the same thing is,. "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t."

Ah, you fixed it before I could point out your minor flaw. That's a great saying btw.

Yeah, but that "minor" flaw completely changed the meaning of it.

I'd say that 75% of my posts are minor streams of consciousness that I don't really re-read, so half the time I go back later and say...."the f**k did I just say"?

Thinking about it, I almost like the meaning it had in your original post. It's like your on a brilliant roll, might as well mix in a little bulls**t to keep the continuity.

Haha, I had the exact same thought when I edited it. The best con men are usually incredibly bright.

Originally posted by backontop:
No matter how much I get harassed and accused at least I will have peace of mind that I am not hated more than Maddog. Thank you Maddog for being you.

Originally posted by backontop:

Who hates you?

really guy, are you seriously asking that? I can probably put a small list together and you sir would be one of the top three people listed.
Originally posted by domesik:

Cheers.

Simply unbelievable.

Come on bro, you didn't really think MD would admit to being wrong. It's just not in his personality. MadDog, I'm on 49ers ecstacy right now, so I love all things 49ers, including all the fans, including you.....

I love you man.

In the end, as I predicted, he is not man enough to admit when he is wrong (again)..

The other 15 million is base salary, or yearly salary. So hypothetically, it could be...

So then he still got more than Raji since Raji only has 22.5 million(not including escalators).

If you take out the 6th year to make all things equal it's 5 years 28 million (17 guaranteed) as apposed to 5 years 22.5 million (18 million guaranteed) with a 6 million escalator. Plus Crabtree has missed 4 games.

It sure seems to me like no one won or lost and they pretty much met in the middle.

So then he still got more than Raji since Raji only has 22.5 million(not including escalators).

If you take out the 6th year to make all things equal it's 5 years 28 million (17 guaranteed) as apposed to 5 years 22.5 million (18 million guaranteed) with a 6 million escalator. Plus Crabtree has missed 4 games.

It sure seems to me like no one won or lost and they pretty much met in the middle.

From what I understand, Raji's escalator is very reasonably attainable, whereas Crabtree's isn't. Plus, the sixth year is a big deal because he'll be signed for a base salary of $4M...which means another year before he can get a big second contract.

All that being said, I was under the impression that DHB was the benchmark, not Raji.
Share 49ersWebzone