There are 184 users in the forums

Allen Rossum Released [Update 11/01]

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He wasn't quite as decisive in his returns this year but am still surprised by the timing of his cut.......................the return game has not been better with him being inactive the last two weeks. There must be something going on behind the scenes on this one.
Don't we have anyone who could be a threat to go all the way? Battle......more of a possession guy..............Walker has had some nice returns........but still doesnn't scare anyone.........Robinson....he just tucks the ball and puts his head down at the first sign of contact..............not sure Spurlock would be any better.....
I really think Rossum burned a bridge with coach. It's not an injury. Coach told the media he was a "healthy scratch". I believe it being how the league is cracking down on teams for not properly reporting injuries and such. Like I said I think he burned a bridge with Coach. Esp. after watching the Presser today when he was asked about Rossum Coach had a look on his face like "you want to talk about that bum?"
Why don't we call the Browns and inquire about Cribbs? Wasn't he whining about something in the offseason? I think we could trade them one of our WR's like Hill or Battle and a draft pick
Originally posted by mayo63:
Rossum was horrible. All he would do is head for the sidelines. I'd like to see what Sheets could do as a returner.

Me too. Might as well give it a shot.
At this point, I'm reminder of a quote by Bill Walsh from the America's Game series on the 1984 49ers. It was something along the lines of 45 men, all contribtuting, everyone having a job. Right now, that isn't happening with the 2009 version of the 49ers.

Although I'm disappointed by Rossum's release because he represents our most reliable option as a returner, we have someone on the squad that isn't being used, that would serve as a decent replacement. Michael Spurlock probably represents the best option after Rossum. If they plan on keeping him on the game day roster, use him as a returner. It's clear he will hardly ever be used as a receiver. He's proven to be decent at the job. I don't understand why he wasn't called up the past two weeks.

Battle is ok to fair catch the ball (he did return punts for us during the Erickson era and didn't seem to have a problem fumbling then), but won't do much as far as having a great return. I don't understand the logic of putting Clements or anyone else back there.

We need to get back to the philosophy of 45 men, all having a job, all contributing, all playing, and being put in positions that best utilize their skills.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Remember the NFL outlawed 3 and 4 man wedges this season. It could be Everest (or whoever our ST coach is) hasn't figured out how to return a kick without a wedge yet.

Our new retun man has to be more creative than last year. I think a good open field runner like DLove would have an advantage over an straight-line speedy guy like Rossum if he has no wedge to make holes for him.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
At this point, I'm reminder of a quote by Bill Walsh from the America's Game series on the 1984 49ers. It was something along the lines of 45 men, all contribtuting, everyone having a job. Right now, that isn't happening with the 2009 version of the 49ers.

Although I'm disappointed by Rossum's release because he represents our most reliable option as a returner, we have someone on the squad that isn't being used, that would serve as a decent replacement. Michael Spurlock probably represents the best option after Rossum. If they plan on keeping him on the game day roster, use him as a returner. It's clear he will hardly ever be used as a receiver. He's proven to be decent at the job. I don't understand why he wasn't called up the past two weeks.

Battle is ok to fair catch the ball (he did return punts for us during the Erickson era and didn't seem to have a problem fumbling then), but won't do much as far as having a great return. I don't understand the logic of putting Clements or anyone else back there.

We need to get back to the philosophy of 45 men, all having a job, all contributing, all playing, and being put in positions that best utilize their skills.

Yeah, for example, Delanie Walker should be playing TE, not KR.
this cut bugs me so much. It's gonna bite us in the ass............soon! Field position is a top priority with an offense like ours. Mark my words. Rossum will be sorely missed.

Whoever made this f**king brilliant move should be fired. I dont give a f**k who it is!!

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:56:43 ]
It sucks, but it seems logical based on the fact that Rossum is one of the highest paid under-achievers on the roster from pre-season to week 3. Of course Rossum doesn't deserve all of the blame, our special teams blocking has been atrocious as of late.
  • soao
  • Veteran
I think our two week experiment without Rossum validates his value. Battle is a punt muffer and Walker is a fumbler. Rossum has had a great NFL career as a returner and I think he still had it. Since he's a veteran, I don't think we saved any money by letting him go. I would think that with our football vision, field position is premium. I can't remember him dropping any punts here. Some one else will muff a punt at the Stick and we'll be sorry.

• dj43
Originally posted by soao:
I think our two week experiment without Rossum validates his value. Battle is a punt muffer and Walker is a fumbler. Rossum has had a great NFL career as a returner and I think he still had it. Since he's a veteran, I don't think we saved any money by letting him go. I would think that with our football vision, field position is premium. I can't remember him dropping any punts here. Some one else will muff a punt at the Stick and we'll be sorry.

For the record, Walker's return was not a fumble, and would have been challenged had the 49ers had a time out remaining. Clearly Walker was down by contact.

Rossum being cut should give us an indication the 49ers consider Jason Hill to have a future with the team despite the fact he hasn't been used a great deal. I had gotten the feeling Hill would have been the cut based on PT, but the coaches obviously have seen something in him they like.
All I know is Jason Hill did a good Job blocking for Spurlock in the last preseason game on a couple of returns.....

I say we have Jason and Spurlock or Walker back there if both are active for the games.....

I really don't know what Micheal Robinson is doing back there....all he does is run straight and is not fast..... I don't have a problem with Walker back there though.

As far as Punt returner, we need someone with serious hands back there, Arnez doesn't look comfortable back there....

so who has the best hands on the team?

I used to think Bruce, but now I don't know..... Jason Hill? I don't trust Morgan.... Can Brandon Jones field punts?........*gasp*......... Crabtree?

I wouldn't mind trying Spurlock for both KR and PR....but for him to get playing time someone is going to have to be inactive for these games....and I don't want it to be Jason Hill.....he did a good job of getting to the back of the endzone on that one attempt for a TD.... I want to see him share playing time with Bruce.

maybe deactivate Battle for one game just to see how Spurlock does on punt returns...

Who on the team is just taking up an active roster spot that is less needed..... Robinson? who?
Crabtree has GREAT Hands.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
this cut bugs me so much. It's gonna bite us in the ass............soon! Field position is a top priority with an offense like ours. Mark my words. Rossum will be sorely missed.

Yes... I'm really disappointed with the organization on this one. Bad decision.

CUT SPURLOCK!
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yeah, for example, Delanie Walker should be playing TE, not KR.

yeah...who has ever heard of a TE that returns kick offs???? plus Walker is prone to fumble on occasion. That wasnt the first time he has coughed it up. So much for the Niners thinking Special Teams is 1/3 of the game with this move.
Share 49ersWebzone