LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Allen Rossum Released [Update 11/01]

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Rossum is the best return man on our team. Battle can't catch, Spurlock isn't that good and Walker's a freking TE. Can you name one other team that has a TE returning kicks? We better draft all o-line and speed next year (and a safety).

One fumble and now he cant catch. I don't know why folks are trippin' off Rossum. The guy is taking up a spot, to just do returns?! Come on! Get one of the younger guys reps and make them become good returners.

See that was the problem in the past...we were always looking for a quick fix, instead of coaching-up our younger guys!

Plus its like on offense....it dont matter whos back there....if you cant BLOCK, nothing is going to happen. Devin Hester is a product of his blockers, not the other way around!

Good move Coach!!!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 12, 2009 at 14:49:17 ]
Here are the pros and cons of releasing him, feel free to add

Pros
1) he definitely looked tentative this year, much more decisive last year
2) no use at CB or other secondary position, so could use more flexible roster spot
3) not a long term answer at PR/KR, getting older

Cons
1) he should have had one returned for a TD though that was called back, so he still has it
2) he has decent hands and rarely muffs if at all. good experience
3) has pretty good speed. led the league last year in kickoff yardage
Originally posted by alburns:

Pros
2) no use at CB or other secondary position, so could use more flexible roster spot

Cons
1) he should have had one returned for a TD though that was called back, so he still has it
2) he has decent hands and rarely muffs if at all. good experience
3) has pretty good speed. led the league last year in kickoff yardage

I could have made that TD with that kind of excellent blocking (exception of Coffee's block in the back).

Like I said....Good returners are products of great blocking!!

If he not the long term...then lets find the one that is, who can help in other aspects of the game as well!!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Oct 12, 2009 at 15:20:55 ]
Originally posted by alburns:

Pros

Cons
2) he has decent hands and rarely muffs if at all. good experience3) has pretty good speed. led the league last year in kickoff yardage

This is what Im most concerned about. Both Battle and Walker have put the ball on the ground already.Maybe spurlock should be back there I don't know how reliable he is. Who is gonna return punts Battle? I don't like this one bit. It will bite us later in the season.
I would love to see M. Robinson take a crack at PR/KR. He came to this team with high hopes and has not lived up to his potential. If he can develop into a decent return man that would be a great.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
DONT LIKE MUFF
Josh "it came down like a punt" Morgan should be our punt returner.

I think we need to put Crabtree back on PR. Singletary was asked the day of Crabtree's signing press conference about MC on ST and Sing said after he got the offense down we would look at it. I say put him back there now, we need some explosiveness maybe this is a way to get MC the ball.
Originally posted by matt49er:

I think we need to put Crabtree back on PR. Singletary was asked the day of Crabtree's signing press conference about MC on ST and Sing said after he got the offense down we would look at it. I say put him back there now, we need some explosiveness maybe this is a way to get MC the ball.

I agree. I like battle and walker but they are not better or will ever be as good as rossum. So if the niners cut ties with rossum I hope they have somebody in mind that will be better than what we have seen so far.

Give crabs a chance!
I do not want to ever see Delanie, one of our only two TE's on the roster, fielding kicks ever again.

It needs to be Robinson and Spurlock now. PERIOD.

Or Jason Hill. Or heck, Clements, Tarell Brown, Marcus Hudson. I don't care.

Just not Battle or Delanie -- both fumble way too much.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Maybe this will shake him up & get him going again.
I never really liked that he took up a roster spot for just being a returner. But I don't think we have anyone that could do a better job. I guess we just have to hope Battle and Walker get better with more experience. I thought Spurlock would have been the one to get cut. I hope in the draft we get a cb, wr, rb, that can be our special teams ace and contribute as a backup too.
well this sucks
We can't have Walker returning kicks and Battle returning punts.

Walker seems slow and Battle just fair catches. Both are liable to put the ball on the ground.

Maybe Jason Hill can field?

I think we can afford to splurge a mid-rounder on a burner.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone