LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with Hill's Performance?

• B650
  • Veteran
The only reason I'm happy with his performance is because we're 2-1 going on 3-1. If we were 1-2, for example, I'd probably be calling for Nate Davis already. The guy is doing barely enough to win games, so I guess that's good enough for now. The jury is still out though. We'll see what happens next (the schedule gets much tougher).
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Of the two players below, which would you rather have Quarterbacking the 49ers?

Player A - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 50 of 75 (66.6%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 705 Yards
Player B - 2 Wins, 1 Loss - 52 of 82 (63.4%), 3 TD, 1 INT, 548 Yards

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

The QB who played the best, regardless of stats. If the 1st QB's INT cost us the game, but he threw for 705 yards, while the INT by the QB who only had 548 yards was just a dropped ball in the 1st quarter, for example, I might go with the 2nd QB.

the difference is the 3rd game of the first 3. they both played the cards and seahawks, but hill had to play arguably the best D in the league in his 3rd game. JT? he played the 0-16 lions.

and it's not like this is hills first 3 games. he has already proven to be a consistent winner. somehow there's always an excuse as to WHY he won the game, but he just keeps winning.

You can't call FACTS excuses.

These are two facts of our season record to date.

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

Oh and guess what fact one actually bites Hill in the keester. The Defense didn't take the game over like they did the 1st two games. Coupled with bad officiating Hill couldn't overcome it. So we lost. Granted it was last minute but if Sing is spot on(I have to believe that he is) about Hill's ability to audible when he needs to, then it's time to find another excuse as to why Hill ain't getting it done.

You might look "Fact" up in the dictionary btw.

~Ceadder

What do you mean by not getting it done? We were down, he drove down the field and scored a TD. At that point the game was completely taken out of his hand. Or are you suggesting that when Sing and Reye say "run down the middle to run the time" Hill is allowed to Audible to a pass play??? I'm pretty sure that's not an audible situation.

So you're telling us that he IS getting it done?

What about all the damn 3 and OUTS?!? You're telling us that it's the fault of the coaches?

Now granted I think that we should run a bit less but the play calls are just about 50/50 difference. No way that is the fault of the coaching staff in any way shape or form. It's balanced. Shaun just can't hit the broad side of a barn when he throws deep and that is NOT a good thing.

Oh and that pass to Davis in the end zone? You don't throw that s4/t against teams that have a solid DB corps. That will come back to bite us in the bum in hardcore fashion.

We got away with yet another in a long line of oops. It's crazy how people can continue to believe that he's playing well. He's not. He's just the luckiest sumbeyotch I've seen in a long time. I've got a mind to ask him to buy my lottery tix from now on.

We're winning. Great. But it's not cause of Hill. We're winning in spite of the guy. It's high time that people drop the hate and discontent towards Smith and just look at HILL as QB1. No way you can HONESTLY with a straight face, tell me that his play is better than any QB we have on the roster. Luckier? Yes. Better? No.

~Ceadder

Hahahahahah is this guy serious?
The only reason I'm happy with his performance is because we're 2-1 going on 3-1. If we were 1-2, for example, I'd probably be calling for Nate Davis already. The guy is doing barely enough to win games, so I guess that's good enough for now. The jury is still out though. We'll see what happens next (the schedule gets much tougher).

This is exactly what he was asked to do. It is obvious Sing wants the D to win game.

I am rooting for Davis to play by mid season regardless of the record. You gotta have the best player playing and Nate should be ready then.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pigskin:

This is exactly what he was asked to do. It is obvious Sing wants the D to win game.

I am rooting for Davis to play by mid season regardless of the record. You gotta have the best player playing and Nate should be ready then.

I doubt Davis is going to be playing this year, unless both Hill and Smith get hurt. If anything, he'll have a chance to compete after the season for a starting job, but I expect them to acquire another QB somehow, so it might be tough.

I doubt Davis is going to be playing this year, unless both Hill and Smith get hurt. If anything, he'll have a chance to compete after the season for a starting job, but I expect them to acquire another QB somehow, so it might be tough.

he can't be doing barely enough because he doesn't get many chances.... and the chances he does get he looks like a stud... but whatever i don't think we should really judge his preformance if he doesn't get too many chances to show it off.

if you're rooting for davis to start midseaon then you're rooting for a 2-6 record, because there is ZERO chance a rookie QB out of the MAC will start midseason if the starter is winning. Would you pull a winning QB to for a rookie?
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

Answer: JT O'Sullivan played incredible well through three games last year. I'm not comparing Hill to O'Sullivan, but it's far too early to judge Hill.

The QB who played the best, regardless of stats. If the 1st QB's INT cost us the game, but he threw for 705 yards, while the INT by the QB who only had 548 yards was just a dropped ball in the 1st quarter, for example, I might go with the 2nd QB.

the difference is the 3rd game of the first 3. they both played the cards and seahawks, but hill had to play arguably the best D in the league in his 3rd game. JT? he played the 0-16 lions.

and it's not like this is hills first 3 games. he has already proven to be a consistent winner. somehow there's always an excuse as to WHY he won the game, but he just keeps winning.

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

Oh and guess what fact one actually bites Hill in the keester. The Defense didn't take the game over like they did the 1st two games. Coupled with bad officiating Hill couldn't overcome it. So we lost. Granted it was last minute but if Sing is spot on(I have to believe that he is) about Hill's ability to audible when he needs to, then it's time to find another excuse as to why Hill ain't getting it done.

~Ceadder

What do you mean by not getting it done? We were down, he drove down the field and scored a TD. At that point the game was completely taken out of his hand. Or are you suggesting that when Sing and Reye say "run down the middle to run the time" Hill is allowed to Audible to a pass play??? I'm pretty sure that's not an audible situation.

What about all the damn 3 and OUTS?!? You're telling us that it's the fault of the coaches?

Now granted I think that we should run a bit less but the play calls are just about 50/50 difference. No way that is the fault of the coaching staff in any way shape or form. It's balanced. Shaun just can't hit the broad side of a barn when he throws deep and that is NOT a good thing.

Oh and that pass to Davis in the end zone? You don't throw that s4/t against teams that have a solid DB corps. That will come back to bite us in the bum in hardcore fashion.

We got away with yet another in a long line of oops. It's crazy how people can continue to believe that he's playing well. He's not. He's just the luckiest sumbeyotch I've seen in a long time. I've got a mind to ask him to buy my lottery tix from now on.

We're winning. Great. But it's not cause of Hill. We're winning in spite of the guy. It's high time that people drop the hate and discontent towards Smith and just look at HILL as QB1. No way you can HONESTLY with a straight face, tell me that his play is better than any QB we have on the roster. Luckier? Yes. Better? No.

~Ceadder

The sad thing is that he is serious .

Oh well, let the haters hate .
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

he can't be doing barely enough because he doesn't get many chances.... and the chances he does get he looks like a stud... but whatever i don't think we should really judge his preformance if he doesn't get too many chances to show it off.

really?.....

if you're rooting for davis to start midseaon then you're rooting for a 2-6 record, because there is ZERO chance a rookie QB out of the MAC will start midseason if the starter is winning. Would you pull a winning QB to for a rookie?

Sure! I'm a fan who don't have a job riding on this move.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Chief:
Shaun Hill is 6-0 in his starts at Candlestick Park. In those games, he has a 68.9 completion rate for 1,207 yards with nine touchdowns and three interceptions and a passer rating of 100.9.

Woooooo hooooo!!! Waitaminnit saying that we win EVERY home game this season(unlikely, but meh) that equates to a .500 season. That and a buck will get you a bottled water at Trader Joe's.

We see some pretty stout teams this season btw. Both at home an on the road.

~Ceadder

we are also .500 on the road so far this year.......sooooo if we win all of our home games....and (using your logic here) split our road games this season....we will be 12-4 by season end.

I'm fine with that......how about you Ceadder?

I hope that question was rhetorical.

Though I sincerely doubt that he can pull .500 out of his tookas on the road this season. Too many tough matchups. Not saying he can't but he's gonna have to whack that 3'n'out monster.

~Ceadder

Sure! I'm a fan who don't have a job riding on this move.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Who's hating? I'm DISPLEASED with all the damn 3 and outs. You fix that with a QB change more often than not. I don't give a rats furry @$$ who the QB is so long as he can do the F'N job. So far Hill has ridden the coattails of the Defense and the 2 scores by Gore. Otherwise instead of 2-1, we'd be 0-3 on the season.

Funny how people literally TRASH Smith and call themselves realistic fans. But when people criticize Hill, they're haters. Nevermind that NOBODY(to my knowledge) who has criticized the man, has evenmade a derogatory remark at his expense.

It's nice to know that hypocrisy is alive and well on the Zone.

~Ceadder

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Who's hating? I'm DISPLEASED with all the damn 3 and outs. You fix that with a QB change more often than not. I don't give a rats furry @$$ who the QB is so long as he can do the F'N job. So far Hill has ridden the coattails of the Defense and the 2 scores by Gore. Otherwise instead of 2-1, we'd be 0-3 on the season.

Funny how people literally TRASH Smith and call themselves realistic fans. But when people criticize Hill, they're haters. Nevermind that NOBODY(to my knowledge) who has criticized the man, has evenmade a derogatory remark at his expense.

~Ceadder

People say you're a hater because, although we're winning you still want to pull Hill for Alex. Even though NFL analysts, coaches, anyone else in the know, seem to see eye to eye, that Hill continues to give this team the best chance to win for now. We're 2-1, should have been 3-0. Hill didn't lose that game at Minnesota. He wasn't running the ball on that 3 and out. He put together a drive, when he had to. Nobody has ever said he's Montana or Young. He's there as a stop gap measure till we can find a better QB, and if he happens to continue to win it's a bonus. Alex had all preseason to unseat Hill and he couldn't. Hill has the same personel around him Alex had. So no excuse there. He's been through the same number of OC's as Alex. Again no excuse there. Yes Alex was injured, but that was last year. The general consensus around the NFL is Alex is just not the guy for the job. Maybe on another team, maybe all he'll ever be is a career back-up. But some how you seem to know more than all these experts on how to run this team. Even when faced with evidence and facts to your opinion, you just can't seem to let it go. So I put to you the question, if you know sooooo much more than everybody else, why aren't you a coach, GM or OC in the NFL, cause it's obvious that you are some kind of super genius.

[ Edited by BigDaddy on Oct 4, 2009 at 11:08:53 ]

1)The Defense.

2)Frank's 2 scores

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Well said

I'd be SO curious to see what Hill's BQ rating would be had the WR's actually CAUGHT all his pass through 4 games now.
Share 49ersWebzone