LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Should the 49ers Call Up Kory Sheets ftrom the Practice Squad?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should the 49ers Call Up Kory Sheets ftrom the Practice Squad?

Originally posted by btthepunk:
I say cut Spurlock. He adds nothing to this team. Hill has been inactive for 3 games and they have the same ammount of receptions and yards.
Then deactivate Roman and give Reggie Smith more playing time and activate Hill.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Spurlock brings nothing to the table. Robinson can run the "Taser" and Jason Hill is a much better 3rd down receiver.

Getting back to Sheets...this is a no brainer! He has the speed to run plays to the outside which Coffee and Robinson can't do. I know his blocking is a little suspect but I can live with that as long as he helps rack up the yards!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If we bring up Sheets who do we let go to make room?

I'd have to say Allen Rossum or Michael Spurlock, shoot why not save our selves some future trouble and just cut Mark Roman.

Because Roman is a decent backup. On a team lacking depth at most positions it becomes a necessity to keep all the veterans with actual game experience.

yea and that "veteran" experience sure showed on Sunday when he got beat by some scrub.

I agree with Kolohe. If he were to be brought up from the PS I would say Roman or Spurlock.

Watch the play again...he was in position...he didn't just get beat it was an amazing and lucky pass and catch and those things happen. What should piss you off more is how we let them march nearly 80 yards down field in 90 sec unchallenged and then how we blew the play calling on the final play and left the back of the endzone wide open.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
If we bring up Sheets who do we let go to make room?

I'd have to say Allen Rossum or Michael Spurlock, shoot why not save our selves some future trouble and just cut Mark Roman.

Because Roman is a decent backup. On a team lacking depth at most positions it becomes a necessity to keep all the veterans with actual game experience.

Roman has been an issue for some time now, it wasn't just this game. If anything we could always ask Curtis Taylor or Reggie Smith to blitz from the weak-side. Shoot, I'd even like to see what Marcus Hudson brings to the table at Safety than continue with Mark Roman.

Again it's the experience thing...I think you'll find Singletary is more trusting of players who have actually played in a position that has poor depth.
With the official announcement that Gore is out for three weeks, I think it's a certainty that Sheets will be called up. They didn't put him on the practice squad for nothing. They put him on there in case the unthinkable happened, and it has...

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Not until he learns how to pick up the blitz.

True, we don't need a dead QB on top of Gore being out.
Originally posted by captainmorgan17:
We should cut mark roman and call up Kory Sheets. Mark Roman is beyond worthless.

AGREE!!! LORD LET IT HAPPEN
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
no. too soon.
Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, but there are RB alternatives to calling-up Sheets. For example, I believe that Gartrell Johnson out of Colorado State, who tore up the Niners in the pre-season while in San Diego's camp, is available. If Singletary and Raye want more of an inside runner and a pass protector with more girth, they might opt for someone other than Sheets. We should know tomorrow. A decision needs to be made before Wednesday's practice.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Giants picked-up Johnson about 10 days ago.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM ]
You can't just call up a player without cutting someone or putting them on IR...it's a 53-man roster, any way you slice it.

• Black59Razor
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by baltien:
Not until he learns how to pick up the blitz.

It's why he's on the practice squad.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, but there are RB alternatives to calling-up Sheets. For example, I believe that Gartrell Johnson out of Colorado State, who tore up the Niners in the pre-season while in San Diego's camp, is available. If Singletary and Raye want more of an inside runner and a pass protector with more girth, they might opt for someone other than Sheets. We should know tomorrow. A decision needs to be made before Wednesday's practice.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Giants picked-up Johnson about 10 days ago.

I was thinking about him, he looked good. Wonder why they picked him up
  • B650
  • Veteran
Yes.
Yes an cut Alex Smith because he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuux

Get real Coffee was the leading rusher in PREseason and he addimted that he was not ready for the real game.
Sheets maybe fast but can´t pick up blitzes. You can´t seriously think that Defenses would not exploit that.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Yes an cut Alex Smith because he suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuux

Get real Coffee was the leading rusher in PREseason and he addimted that he was not ready for the real game.
Sheets maybe fast but can´t pick up blitzes. You can´t seriously think that Defenses would not exploit that.

At that point it's how you use him in. You can play him on running downs and only on passing downs where he will not be kept in but will be rolled out as a check down. Some of those passing situations may require him to chip a player first however.

What people fail to realize is that if we call up Sheets and he fares well then where do you go from there ? Once Gore comes back it is unlikely we have 4 RB's active on gameday unless he assumed Rossum's KR duties. If we send him back down to the PS there is a chance a team claims him after seeing him perform in the regular season. If you keep him on the 53 but not the active game day roster what happens if someone else goes down with an injury....it may force the team to waive him in hopes of getting him back on the PS.

While he could be plucked off the PS at any time right now he may be safer there than joining the 53 unless the team opts to use Sheets as a KR in place of Rossum.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone