LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (@ Minn)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
I wonder why we didn't blitz during that last minute of the game to put some pressure.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
****Breaking News****

Suicide rate hits all-time high in San Francisco.

Random thoughts amid my shock...

Manusky & defense:

Lawson, 2 great plays at the end but again, like the last throw by Favre, too little, too late. Time to get Brooks worked in as he's better against the run, diagnosis plays quicker and can actually pass rush (bull rush or speed rush)

Lawson has been great against the run. He was blowing up blockers on the line of scrimmage and pushing them back behind the line of scrimmage. More than one occasion, he prevented the blocker from establishing the corner (where AP can run around) and pushed the play back into the pursuit. He had at least two tackles on AP one-on-one.

And how can you say that Brooks is better than Lawson? Please.... From the three (THREE!!!) plays of scrimmage that Brooks played?

On that play that he got the tackle on the reverse, his job was to hold the edge, which he did. But he didn't engage any blocker, then disengage the blocker, and then make the tackle on a ball carrier like Lawson did. Lawson is still better than Brooks, and everyone knows that.

Lawson has not been great against the run over three games. He was terrific this past game though! I'm NOT saying Brooks is better. I'm saying Brooks has the skill-set to be better in the 3-4.

We all know what we have in Manny which is average coverage (given up a TD already), average containment on the edge, below average disengagement from OT's, excellent lateral speed, average play recognition and below average QB pressure/sacks for a 3-4 SAM LB. He would be an ideal OLB in the 4-3!

Manny had 11 tackles last game for a total of 17 for the year, zero sacks and zero passes defended or INT's or forced fumbles. That's 15th in tackles for OLB's. And if you're willing to give up sacks for a "complete game" then where is the rest of his game?

Brooks has a different skill-set that COULD translate into being a very good SAM/WILL OLB in the 3-4. He's bigger, thicker, stronger, has an incredible burst, is a much better pass rusher b/c he can speed and bull rush, clearly diagnoses plays quickly and correctly, is excellent at containing the edge, disengages blockers easier and plays with a mean-streak and emotion.

All I'm saying is it's time to work him into the lineup more and see if he can earn a FT spot opposite of Haralson for the better of the team.

Manny has been given a free pass for way too long. He's just not a good fit for the 3-4 as an OLB, IMHO.
Really not trying to beat a dead horse here... and so many shoulda coulda wouldas... There were so many things that we could pinpoint and knitpick as the reason we lost... but one glaring thing that sticks out in my mind was Manny Lawson on the last play...

He got held up by #74 on the O line...then got pushed about two yards back right as Favre rolled up. Justin Smith misses Favre, but to me it looked like Manny didn't close in on Favre as fast as he could have.

Not sure but it looked to me as if he was expecting Favre to throw it sooner, but then when he realized how long Favre was holding on and waiting for something to develope, is when Lawson decided to close in on Favre.

I didn't see Lawson rushing Favre with great urgency. I honestly thought he could have gotten to him a split second sooner, causing a fumble or getting a sack on the last play. I have it on tivo and I watched it over and over, and to me Manny's pursuit of Favre looked as if it was at half speed.

Yes it was the end of the game and I'm sure the guy was exhausted... but you gotta give it all you've got whistle to whistle. Not blaming this one particular thing on Manny. He played well over all and he is not the reason we lost.

Really just want to see if anyone else noticed that. Manny should have been able to stop that throw, but it looked like he gave up on the play... Just my observation...
[ Edited by zozell on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:19 PM ]
coulda shoulda woulda

There were a ton of what if's on that last play. What if Roman was actually a good football player and was where he was supoosed to be? What if Raye didn't run 3 times in a row and actually went for a first down? What if Smith would have actually go to Favre? What if..What if...What if! The fact is they executed and we did not.
I didn't look like he gave up.

The irony of that play is that Manny was an inch away from forcing a bad throw, and Greg Lewis was inches away from being out of bounds...I'm gonna go cry again
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

The irony of that play is that Manny was an inch away from forcing a bad throw, and Greg Lewis was inches away from being out of bounds...I'm gonna go cry again

yea but Smith was an inch away from knocking the ball out of Favre's hand. And Roman was feet away from being where he was supposed to be. Oh the irony continues
[ Edited by backontop on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM ]

And J Smith was inches away from getting his claws on Favvreeerere.

me too...! so close so close...
Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't trying that hard. Why should he care if he sacks the QB to end the game? It's not like he had any reason to be tired, too. The offense was giving them so much time to rest with all the lengthy drives they were sustaining.

Originally posted by backontop:
coulda shoulda woulda

There were a ton of what if's on that last play. What if Roman was actually a good football player and was where he was supoosed to be? What if Raye didn't run 3 times in a row and actually went for a first down? What if Smith would have actually go to Favre? What if..What if...What if! The fact is they executed and we did not.

umm... exactly why i said so many shoulda coulda wouldas... and I wasn't beating a dead horse... Even said that we could pinpoint so many other reasons on that play that we lost... and I wasn't blaming Manny...

I was simply asking if anyone else noticed what I saw out of Lawson on that play... Not trying to reinact the whole thing... I was simply pointing out Manny's play. I may be wrong... but to me it looks like he was slow in his pursuit of Brett...

And Roman was a few inches away from making a big play...
And Favre was a few inches beyond the LOS.
If Dre Bly would have had that pick six...

If Brett Favre would have missed by three feet to the left (interception) or to the right (incomplete pass)...

We're not as talented as the Vikings. We all know that. But our team showed grit... toughness... scrappiness... and never gave up, and gave us an excellent chance to win the game at the end.

Our 'old' Niners team would have used the 10am starting time, the loud dome, being down 10 points, going against the best run defense the last three years, losing our best offensive player as a reason to fold and be down 31-0 by halftime. But they didn't.

Like coach Singletary said... Let's not "wallow" on this game and move on the next game.
Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by backontop:
coulda shoulda woulda

umm... exactly why i said so many shoulda coulda wouldas... and I wasn't beating a dead horse... Even said that we could pinpoint so many other reasons on that play that we lost... and I wasn't blaming Manny...

I was simply asking if anyone else noticed what I saw out of Lawson on that play... Not trying to reinact the whole thing... I was simply pointing out Manny's play. I may be wrong... but to me it looks like he was slow in his pursuit of Brett...

being held will do that to a brotha
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't trying that hard. Why should he care if he sacks the QB to end the game? It's not like he had any reason to be tired, too. The offense was giving them so much time to rest with all the lengthy drives they were sustaining.

Dude I'm not sayin he did it purposely... I'm just saying maybe he thought he was throwing it sooner than he did... and it looked like when he realized he was holding on longer... is when he turned on the speed... Watch it again and look at him after #74 pushes him. He regains his footing... and it looks like he jogs a few steps towards Favre before really turning it on...
Lawson was our leading tackler
lets just leave it at that
Share 49ersWebzone