LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

OFFICIAL: 2006 Smith vs 2009 Hill Tracker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
For some reason, it keeps cutting off my post.

Alex Smith 2006 Stats:
GS: 16
Comp: 257
Att: 442
Pct: 58.1
Yds: 2,890
Avg: 6.5 (where's the deep ball)?
TD: 16
INT: 16
Sacked: 35
Rating: 74.8
FUM: 10
Lost: 5

Shaun Hill 2009 Stats:
GS: 2
Comp: 37
Att: 57
Pct: 64.9
Yds: 353
Avg: 6.2
TD: 1
INT: 0
Sacked: 8
Rating: 87.8
FUM: 2
Lost: 1

remind me how many games we won ?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
This is so stupid, yet somehow expected of you.

... and 2006 pass blocking was BETTER than the 2009 pass blocking??? Huge FAIL.

Hey now, I'm not creating this for myself or anything. Just that threads are beginning to get hijacked by Smith vs Hill, so why not have a seperate one about it.

FYI

Fact: I think Alex would have gone 2-0 this year.
Fact: I think Alex will surprise us next year with a year to sit and watch an offense before he applies the offense.
Fact: I don't think Alex will be a highly efficient QB, but he will be much better than a bust.

Good response... and I'm shocked and pleased by your apparent willingness and rational thought with your facts.

As for your other post to me... nope.

Staley is much better than Jennings was in edge protection. ( don't bother with "stats"... everyone by now should know that sack-stats are horribly misleading when asserting blame ) 2006 Jennings WAS better at protection than 2007 Jennings, but still...
Staley > Jennings in this aspect.

Snyder is a far better protector than given credit for, and is so much better than Kwame at protection that your "wash" comment was painfully horrific. Maybe your memory of Kwame's protection skills has diminished over time, but
Snyder >>>>>>>>> Harris in this aspect

The protection from Smiley in 2007 was awful prior to injury, but he was solid in 2006. To me, THIS one is a wash comparing the two.
Rachal = Smiley

Heitmann = Heitmann = pretty decent, but he lost some battles on occasion.

Larry Allen was a stud run blocker, but if his feet didn't move quickly enough, he was susceptible to penetration. (was far worse in 2007) Baas has been very good in protection and run blocking in 2008 and 2009, and is highly underappreciated here.
Allen = Baas in this aspect

now what else ya got? wanna talk receivers?
I'm not convinced. Up to this point, we have given up 8 sacks. Maybe later in the year, your statements will be correct. Let's let the season play out. My observation was ONLY on how the 2009 team has performed up to this point and in game 1, our Guards had MAJOR issues along with Snyder playing poorly thus far.

Hey now, I'm not creating this for myself or anything. Just that threads are beginning to get hijacked by Smith vs Hill, so why not have a seperate one about it.

FYI

Fact: I think Alex will surprise us next year with a year to sit and watch an offense before he applies the offense.
Fact: I don't think Alex will be a highly efficient QB, but he will be much better than a bust.

Good response... and I'm shocked and pleased by your apparent willingness and rational thought with your facts.

As for your other post to me... nope.

Staley is much better than Jennings was in edge protection. ( don't bother with "stats"... everyone by now should know that sack-stats are horribly misleading when asserting blame ) 2006 Jennings WAS better at protection than 2007 Jennings, but still...
Staley > Jennings in this aspect.

Snyder is a far better protector than given credit for, and is so much better than Kwame at protection that your "wash" comment was painfully horrific. Maybe your memory of Kwame's protection skills has diminished over time, but
Snyder >>>>>>>>> Harris in this aspect

The protection from Smiley in 2007 was awful prior to injury, but he was solid in 2006. To me, THIS one is a wash comparing the two.
Rachal = Smiley

Heitmann = Heitmann = pretty decent, but he lost some battles on occasion.

Larry Allen was a stud run blocker, but if his feet didn't move quickly enough, he was susceptible to penetration. (was far worse in 2007) Baas has been very good in protection and run blocking in 2008 and 2009, and is highly underappreciated here.
Allen = Baas in this aspect

now what else ya got? wanna talk receivers?
oldman9er, I would like to add that Antonio Bryant is the best WR we have had in 5 years.
This is ridiculous. It obvious this team we have now is WAY better than the 2006 season. Not to mention, Hill has a top 10 Defense behind him. Its only been two games, but the way the players are responding on the field says a lot about the coaching, not Hill alone. You can just see it and "feel" it when you watch them.

AND NOLAN is no longer holding us back. Of course we are going to have better stats, especially Hill. Coach Sing is letting the coaches coach and players play.

You really can't compare the two INDIVIDUALS who were on totally two different teams.
[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:38 AM ]
Smith is #11, Hill is #13, 11+13=24. 24 divided by 2 is the number of games Hill has started (12), which is Tom Brady's Number.

Hill has won two games this season, 12-2 = 10... Eli Manning's Number.

Manning is younger than Brady - so is Smith.. Smith => Manning and Hill => Brady..

But, while Brady has 3 superbowl rings, Manning only has 1... But Manning beat Brady in the superbowl....

Hum... I really thought I was on to something there. I guess the debate goes on....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153995/?searchterm=Cancelled
[ Edited by pannin4gold on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by pannin4gold:
Smith is #11, Hill is #13, 11+13=24. 24 divided by 2 is the number of games Hill has started (12), which is Tom Brady's and Eli Manning's Number.

Manning is younger than Brady - so is Smith.. Smith => Manning and Hill => Brady..

But, while Brady has 3 superbowl rings, Manning only has 1... But Manning beat Brady in the superbowl....

Hum... I really thought I was on to something there. I guess the debate goes on....

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153995/?searchterm=Cancelled

Fail.
oldman9er, I would like to add that Antonio Bryant is the best WR we have had in 5 years.

Somehow, I knew that would come up, but nope. While Antonio Bryant had natural talent, he was nowhere near the beast he turned out to be in 2008. He took a year off... built himself up mentally and physically, and looks great. But in 2006? .... nope.

FYI

Alex needs to watch out for Nate Davis, who has already shown more poise than him. Alex still looks indecisive and inaccurate.

By the way I think Hill and Smith are below average QB's
This thread is hilarious!

I am blown away by the anger so many have towards A Smith.

Hill is the starter until further notice. The end.

Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Alex was what? 20 years old in 2006?

Yeah this is going to be very telling. Compare Drew Brees' stats to Shaun Hill in their first two seasons. Hill looks good there too.

Until this healthy version of Alex gets to play there is no way to compare. Judging Alex in his very raw seasons under a terrible team and horrible coaching decisions just isn't fair.

I know the simple minded like to make comparisons with black and white stats but that's not how it works because there is no fair sample.

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring and Dan Marino doesn't.

Super Bowl Ring >>>>> No Super Bowl Ring

Trent's better
so............ you're saying alex smith is like marino????....... last time i checked wins give you superbowls.. not good quarterbacks like dan marino.... shaun hill obviously has more wins than alex... btw the comparison is just to know where hill and this team stand, not that hill is better than alex
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

Yeah this is going to be very telling. Compare Drew Brees' stats to Shaun Hill in their first two seasons. Hill looks good there too.

Until this healthy version of Alex gets to play there is no way to compare. Judging Alex in his very raw seasons under a terrible team and horrible coaching decisions just isn't fair.

I know the simple minded like to make comparisons with black and white stats but that's not how it works because there is no fair sample.

Trent's better
so............ you're saying alex smith is like marino????....... last time i checked wins give you superbowls.. not good quarterbacks like dan marino.... shaun hill obviously has more wins than alex... btw the comparison is just to know where hill and this team stand, not that hill is better than alex

Hence, "Tracker" in the title. People are completely miscontruing this thread as a Pro Hill thread. Except for the "deep ball" comment in my stat post, there is no favor of either.

Trent's better

Hence, "Tracker" in the title. People are completely miscontruing this thread as a Pro Hill thread. Except for the "deep ball" comment in my stat post, there is no favor of either.

That's not true.

Earlier you said that you didn't want to go week by week because it would make Alex look bad, which has an implied negativity towards Smith. If this were a fair comparison, you would do week by week to show people where they were at that point in the season.
Seriously?
Originally posted by Squirrel:

Trent's better

That's not true.

Earlier you said that you didn't want to go week by week because it would make Alex look bad, which has an implied negativity towards Smith. If this were a fair comparison, you would do week by week to show people where they were at that point in the season.

There is nothing in my original post of this thread that says one is better than the other. The stats will be adjusted as the season goes but the original post on this thread was not bashing any of the two players.
Share 49ersWebzone