LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

Offensive Line- New Coach Same Results?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So far into this season we've given up 8 sacks, which according to footballoutsiders.com ranks us 29th in the league with a 10% adjusted sack rate.

What I'm going to do is break down the 8 sacks courtesy of nfl.com highlights.

Arizona (not in any particular order)

Hill sacked for -5 yards by Bertrand Berry

The Cards rush 6. Snyder is beaten badly, I mean abused, by Calais Campebell, nearly knocking the ball lose and forcing hm to step up into the pocket. Berry got credit for the sack but really it was Calais Campbell that allowed for the sack.

Hill sacked by Antrelle Rolle and fumbles

If anything the blame goes to Davis for not picking up the outside blitzer. He didn't see him at all. This was a very well designed call by Davis though and Hill got pretty unlucky.

Hill sacked by Carnell Docket

Rachel got worked simple as that.

Hill sacked by Chike Okefer

Two things happened on that play, Snyder got soundly beaten by Okefer and Adrian Wilson came on a safety blitz through a clear lane unevaded.

What bothers me about this is that all this was created by the Cards rushing 6 men. Why couldn't Hill find any hot reads to dump off to to evade the rush? The Cards were blitzing pretty much every play but we couldn't capitlize on anything like that.

Seahawks,

Hill sacked by Lawrence Jackson for -7 yards

OMG Pashos got owned by Jackson. Maybe theres a reaon why this guy was released.

Hill sacked by Patrick Kearney

A wtf moment pretty much. Hill just ran into Kearney. There was no need for him to move around as the protection was great here. What was Hil thinking?

Hill sacked by Lawrence Jackson

Hill faced some heavy backside pressure, but he did not do a good job feeling the rush and getting rid of the ball.

Hill sacked for 0 yards

Two comment: I have no idea why this is considered a sack since he was clearly scrambling and he did not lose yards on the play. Second, I have no idea why Hill thought this was the bes option runnign up the middle on 3rd and long. At the leat he should've checked it down to Gore and let Gore try to see if he could bust it.

Overall, there does seem to be a lot of problems with our O-line (cough cough Snyder and Pashos), but it looks a little improved from last year overall. Hill needs to do a better job of helping his line out and getting rid of the ball a little sooner.

This line clearly could use an influx of talent. Staley is golden, Heitman isn't bad and Rachel has potential, but it's clear we have to get this through outside the organization in free agency and hig in the draft. I wish I could say we were lik the Saints, or New York Giants or Dallas and get our linman from later in the draft, or deelop guys internally, but we don't have the coaching for tha unfortunately. As it is 4/5ths of our line is made up from first day picks.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
So far into this season we've given up 8 sacks, which according to footballoutsiders.com ranks us 29th in the league with a 10% adjusted sack rate.

What I'm going to do is break down the 8 sacks courtesy of nfl.com highlights.

Arizona (not in any particular order)

Hill sacked for -5 yards by Bertrand Berry

The Cards rush 6. Snyder is beaten badly, I mean abused, by Calais Campebell, nearly knocking the ball lose and forcing hm to step up into the pocket. Berry got credit for the sack but really it was Calais Campbell that allowed for the sack.

Hill sacked by Antrelle Rolle and fumbles

If anything the blame goes to Davis for not picking up the outside blitzer. He didn't see him at all. This was a very well designed call by Davis though and Hill got pretty unlucky.

Hill sacked by Carnell Docket

Rachel got worked simple as that.

Hill sacked by Chike Okefer

Two things happened on that play, Snyder got soundly beaten by Okefer and Adrian Wilson came on a safety blitz through a clear lane unevaded.

What bothers me about this is that all this was created by the Cards rushing 6 men. Why couldn't Hill find any hot reads to dump off to to evade the rush? The Cards were blitzing pretty much every play but we couldn't capitlize on anything like that.

Seahawks,

Hill sacked by Lawrence Jackson for -7 yards

OMG Pashos got owned by Jackson. Maybe theres a reaon why this guy was released.

Hill sacked by Patrick Kearney

A wtf moment pretty much. Hill just ran into Kearney. There was no need for him to move around as the protection was great here. What was Hil thinking?

Hill sacked by Lawrence Jackson

Hill faced some heavy backside pressure, but he did not do a good job feeling the rush and getting rid of the ball.

Hill sacked for 0 yards

Two comment: I have no idea why this is considered a sack since he was clearly scrambling and he did not lose yards on the play. Second, I have no idea why Hill thought this was the bes option runnign up the middle on 3rd and long. At the leat he should've checked it down to Gore and let Gore try to see if he could bust it.

Overall, there does seem to be a lot of problems with our O-line (cough cough Snyder and Pashos), but it looks a little improved from last year overall. Hill needs to do a better job of helping his line out and getting rid of the ball a little sooner.

This line clearly could use an influx of talent. Staley is golden, Heitman isn't bad and Rachel has potential, but it's clear we have to get this through outside the organization in free agency and hig in the draft. I wish I could say we were lik the Saints, or New York Giants or Dallas and get our linman from later in the draft, or deelop guys internally, but we don't have the coaching for tha unfortunately. As it is 4/5ths of our line is made up from first day picks.

In fairness to Davis. Backs and TE's are taught to take the inside guy and let the outside guy go.
[ Edited by krizay on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:21 PM ]
Nice analysis. And let's not forget all the QB pressures too (which really add up). We used to laugh when Garcia had happy feet back there and would run right into DE's. Then we saw that same sort of panic with every QB after that. Eventually, it's in your head and you end up with WTF-plays! As fans, THIS is the area we really need to focus on...once a QB is comfortable in the pocket, the downfield plays will come and Raye will be more apt to call them.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
This is a problem with the personal, and not necessarily coaching.

To be fair, both Warhop and Foerster recent experiences were with run-heavy teams.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice analysis. And let's not forget all the QB pressures too (which really add up). We used to laugh when Garcia had happy feet back there and would run right into DE's. Then we saw that same sort of panic with every QB after that. Eventually, it's in your head and you end up with WTF-plays! As fans, THIS is the area we really need to focus on...once a QB is comfortable in the pocket, the downfield plays will come and Raye will be more apt to call them.

Seriously. We really need to get some competent ofensive coaches around here. I have no question in my mind that Singleterry can pick out defensive guys, but serious questions about his offensive coaches. But at the same time, is it the coaches or the talent or a combinatio of both.

But one thing's for sure, if we want to run the ball and protect the quarterback, we also need to get some talent in here if we cant get some really good oline teachers in here.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM ]
We have no RT. The guy we were going to take went to the Ravens.

But I think we all wanted Crabs regardless.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
We have no RT. The guy we were going to take went to the Ravens.

But I think we all wanted Crabs regardless.

What makes it worse was that when Oher dropped to the 20s, I really wanted McCloughan to trade up and grab him.

But back to the OP, I can see us drafted LG and RT in next years draft. There's improvement, but we're not a whole lot better than last year..

-9fA
we can run because we have a huge o line and a pro bowl rusher....we can't pass because we have a combo of an overweight line in respect to pass blocking, an average wr corps, and a qb that still holds on to the ball to long at times

can't blame JUST the o line
Yeah. I don't think our Oline has been that bad. Everyone gets beat one time or another. I blame the lack of a audible and hot read at the line. Haven't really seen it at all. I think it has to do with it being a new offense also.
sacks are a part of the game, and they do happen, it's the 3rd down sacks that are the killer

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Yeah. I don't think our Oline has been that bad. Everyone gets beat one time or another. I blame the lack of a audible and hot read at the line. Haven't really seen it at all. I think it has to do with it being a new offense also.

I mentioned hot reads in my post but that's a good point about the new offense. Our whole offense is always in flux, new scheme, new oline guys, uncertainty at quarterback.

The thing that is an improvement over years past is the play of Staley. Having a fixture at LT certainly helps.Hopefuly Rachel can develop into a fixture on our o-line as well as the year progresses. He's just so inconsistent.
Originally posted by King49er:
sacks are a part of the game, and they do happen, it's the 3rd down sacks that are the killer

yeah but once again we are ranked very very low in this category. This has been an ongoing problem for a very long time, and I was just curious if it was really o-line breakdowns or if it was the quarterback.

It's one thing to say sacks happen, but it's another to be consistently near the bottom in that category year in and year out.

I mentioned hot reads in my post but that's a good point about the new offense. Our whole offense is always in flux, new scheme, new oline guys, uncertainty at quarterback.

The thing that is an improvement over years past is the play of Staley. Having a fixture at LT certainly helps.Hopefuly Rachel can develop into a fixture on our o-line as well as the year progresses. He's just so inconsistent.

As each game passes hopefully he gets better
Originally posted by King49er:

Considering that Raye just installed his offense a little more than two months ago and that every player is still learning and gelling, they havent looked that bad in pass protection. They have struggled at times but the same can be said for any position. Its on Raye to hide their flaws and capitalize on their strengths.
Share 49ersWebzone