There are 225 users in the forums

Walsh's top regret: not drafting Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good find.
Good Thread!! Way better than another Crabtree or Smith v Hill thread.

Carter was an absolute beast, by far the best 3/4 NT we have ever had. Fuller was on the verge of becoming a star when he was injured.

Given how it turned out, it is hard to understand why that would be his top regret.
Wow. And to think, Singletary went on to become the HC of the 49ers..

-9fA
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
providence
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Joecool:
His top regret should have been trading Joe Montana.

His second should have been hiring Donahue unless it was sabatoge.

-50 fan points for that answer.

Actually, Walsh had left the Niners and retired after the 3rd Super Bowl victory, therefore he wasn't around when Joe was traded.

The result is 1 + and 1 - point for the 2 answers. It's a wash.
Originally posted by zozell:
Wow... Ain't that some s**t... very interesting... it's like he knew!

Walsh knew everything and as we speak his plans are still in motion. Very spooky indeed.
Originally posted by zozell:
Wow... Ain't that some s**t... very interesting... it's like he knew!

True
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Very interesting, indeed. I thought he might say retiring too early, which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking.

I don't think that was his decision. my recollection is he got pushed out the door... first with meaningless responsibilities to the point that he felt his presence wasn't needed and he could see the writing on the wall. that was my impression anyways.

Actually, Walsh had left the Niners and retired after the 3rd Super Bowl victory, therefore he wasn't around when Joe was traded.

Wasn't Walsh an "advisor" or something like that?
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I would have left it alone. Drafting Singletary probably would have altered history. I'd gladly take the 5 Superbowl wins during the great dynasty days over drafting Singletary.

That's a good point, any significant change could've affected the 5 SB titles they won. Then again, if Singletary was drafted instead of Carter/Fuller, we may have had 6 SB titles or more...you never know.

Singletary back then is like Willis to us now. Willis is the type of impact player any team would be glad to have and pay whatever it takes to keep him on your team 'til he retires. I guess it's arguable if Carter/Fuller made as much of an impact as Singletary might have, but I'd have to agree w/ Walsh on that being his top regret...that and retiring early as others have pointed out.

• gore4prez
  • Info N/A
Good post . Thank you

Edit, Walsh 1st worst mistake was retiring too early.
Originally posted by kronik:
Michael Carter was a true monster tho. I think he is our 2nd best DT ever (behind Bryant Young of course).

Really two different prototype players. MC was the prototype 3-4 NT and BY was a prototype 4-3 DT. I can't imaging the damage we'd do now with those two in front of Haralson, Manny, Spikes and Willis.
Share 49ersWebzone