LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we 2-0 if Alex was starting?

• ZRF80
Originally posted by Method:
BTW, our 3rd down percentage would probably be worse with Alex Smith in there. At 36% for the season, which is 25th in the NFL, we're converting 3rd downs at an incredible rate! If Alex was in there I bet it drops to 25%! We're so high right now, Shaun has done such a great job. Alex would have no chance for a better percentage.

We also are averaging 14.5 first downs a game, which is 30th in the NFL. Alex would probably make us 32nd.

Stats are misleading. Hill has converted when it counts, either in late game situations (see Arizona 4th quarter) or when he needed to chew time off the clock (see Seattle game 3rd-4th quarter). Was Smith ever capable of doing this ?

If you can answer honestly, then we really have no debate here.....
Who cares, Hill is our quarterback why play the what if game?

Everyone knows Smith needs to start fresh some where else. Half the fans, several members of management and I am sure a few players will never see him as a leader or having the ability to play the game. For his own good and for the good of the Niners we need to trade him and part ways.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
As much as I have given up on small hands I think we'd still be 2-0. Shaun Hill was steady and consistent when he needed to be but had a bunch of plays disrupted because of his pocket presence and side armed delivery. I think Alex, against the Cards and Hawks would do a little better in the passing game and hence, we'd still probably win and be 2-0.

I'd go and disagree with you there. I don't think Alex would do near as good. He is not cool under pressure, he lacks composure and he is very inaccurate in game situations.

Alex Smith's best pass is usually a roll out to the right and toss to the gatorade boy on the sideline. He is money with that pass. I say we'd be 0-2 or 1-1 at best because he is not going to get you key third downs when you need them.

There have been a few drives in his career in which Alex actually did drive down the field and win.

Don't you think that those drives indicate that he was in fact composed and "cool under pressure"?

-9fA

Those moments you speak were just very far and few between. Alex "never" put together a complete game. In his best year, the year which Gore (god bless him) ran for 1,700 yards he faced 8 in the box and still averaged 140 yards a game with a couple picks and a fumble. Take the Seattle "quarter or part there-of" out of his resume and what have ya?

That my friend (god bless ALL of you fellow niner fans, regardless!!) is WEAK SAUSAGE!! I know he had a porous line, We still have the same CRAP, albeit slightly upgraded, Kwame's gone . But Hill is gettin it done, kinda. I know, I know...9-3 as a starter.

The organization's lack of insight/foresight whatever...lol of shoring this position up (or a couple of tackles lol) somehow instead of placing blind faith in Alex Smith is relentless. This is year 5 in his career and he could not beat out Hill, and he is the 3rd best QB on the roster as it sits.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry

"Almost" ints don't count. I love how some fans reach so hard to criticize by citing "almost" mistakes.

Hell, I almost f*ck up many times in my job, but I am golden there because I rarely ever f*ck up when imprtant things are on the line, and get the job done right.

Lemme know when you are Quarterbacking the 1st string Offense for the 9ers. Almosts do and SHOULD be considered when you talk about a QB.

~Ceadder

While you are counting almost interceptions, I am looking at actual stats that he has thrown 9 picks in 12 games played. That is .75 ints per game. Keep on reaching.

Trent Dilfer
http://www.nfl.com/players/trentdilfer/profile?id=DIL049692

during his Superbowl year he started 8games, 12TD's, 11Int's, 76.6 QB rating.

hmmmm.. lets see.. can Shaun Hill win a superbowl playing at the same level other QB's who have won superbowls... i dont know.. hmmmm...

HELL YEAH.. like the Ravens.. we have an awesome D. great running game.. why not.. im a Fan

Go 49ers!!!

i guess i have to link this again..

Steve Young on 2009 Shaun Hill: hes playing great! not good, GREAT!!! people who undervalue Hill don't understand football!

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d
Yes I think we would. They are doing this by smash mouth running and good defense and solid special teams. Shaun Hill hasn't played super well. His job is to not make mistakes. It's not to make spectacular plays. I think Alex could do that and has done that sometimes.
i think we'd be 1-1 cuz we may have lost the cards game.
im a smith fan and wanted, and still do want him, to start over hill. but hill led us on a clutch drive in week one and im not sure if alex would have been able to do the same.
Weren't we 2-0 the last time he was healthy and starting? This is dumb.

Shaun Hill is doing exactly what Smith is doing but with a much better team. He's managing the game and making plays when necessary. (comparing first two games of 09 vs 07).

That said I think Hill is doing a better job of the above. But to think we'd be 0-2 with Alex is unfounded. This is gores offense not Shauns or Alex's offense or any Qbs offense.

Gore ftw.
Originally posted by TheyHate2LuvMe:
i think we'd be 1-1 cuz we may have lost the cards game.
im a smith fan and wanted, and still do want him, to start over hill. but hill led us on a clutch drive in week one and im not sure if alex would have been able to do the same.

What are you talking about? Alex won the game with a clutch drive against AZ in the final 2 min in 07.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by fan49:
and to any numbnuts that said no, wtf has hill done? jumped on frankies back, thrown a few short passes. hes not even getting 200 yards a game. prolly not even 150 yard avg. so so far alex played better in 07 than hill is right now! i remember some bombs to both ab's..... i dont see hill doing anything like that.

False: check out their percentages and rating.

i meant 06 which is the only year u can judge him off of.

Even then.

joe so sarcasm aside, do you not agree that the box would not be as stacked if alex were in there beacause he can throw the deep ball? and better imo from mid to deep.

The box has always been stacked against Alex. Remember, he's not an accurate thrower, even on the deep balls.

Ah, talking about stats without showing the stats. A webzone forum staple.

Since I am bored, I will help you all out.

Let's just say that '06 is the only year we can judge Smith on. And we'll use last year '08 to judge Hill, since that was the most games he played in one season thus far...

Smith in '06 averaged 180 yards per game passing, one TD & one int per game. He had about 28 passing attempts per game for an average of 6.5 yards per completion with a 58.1% completion percentage. His total season rating was 74.8

Hill in 08 averaged 227 yards per game passing, 1.4 TDs & .9 int per game.
He had about 32 passing attempts per game for an average of 7.1 yards per completion with a 62.8% completion percentage. His total season QB rating was 87.5.

Now taking all the fan passion out of the debate, which guy looks better?

right now hill is avg. like 176 so i dont want to hear it. smith plain and simple played a better preseason, at least he scored a td. unlike our starter.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Shaun Hill is doing exactly what Smith is doing but with a much better team. He's managing the game and making plays when necessary. (comparing first two games of 09 vs 07).

That said I think Hill is doing a better job of the above. But to think we'd be 0-2 with Alex is unfounded. This is gores offense not Shauns or Alex's offense or any Qbs offense.

Gore ftw.

+1.

• fan49
  • Veteran

Gore ftw.

the haters are blind. cause hill is amazing!!!!!!!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Super5:
if Alex was starting.. no way do we win vs Arizona!

his 3-out drives all day would have tired out the D, and let the cards come back in the 4th quarter!

Alex is not only inconsistent.. but throws behind receivers and at their feet. guys never have a shot to run for more yards.

Alex is a BUST.... get over it.. he had his shot and failed. Hes a nice smart kid.. but does not have the football smarts to compete in the NFL.

The 49ers have a new Offense this year and it will probably take Smith 3-7years till hes ready to start.

Hill is the 49ers QB.. yeah he didn't have 400yards last week.. but there was no need to air it out.. we ran the ball to kill the clock. and when he was asked to throw in the 4th quarter he did just fine getting us up the field! he freaking led a 9+min drive..

the 49ers just dominated the seahawks on that 2nd half! Hill and Raye are still getting comfortable with the offense. give them a few more weeks and this team will continue to improve and open up more! and if Hill starts driving up the field more, this will be a scary team to face all year! a team that has the talent to go deep in the playoffs!

all i have to say.. in 2007 Alex Smith held the team back from winning the division/playoffs. THE KID IS A INJURED PRONE BUST.. his best year in 2007 = TONY BANKS ROOKIE year numbers....

Smith key career stats: 30starts 19TD's, 31INT's, 63.5QB rating.

Hill key career stats: 12starts 19TD's, 9INT's, 90.1QB rating.

now the key Question. who gives you a better shot to win if Hill gets injured

Nate Davis or Alex Smith?

my vote is on Davis

Hill almost threw 3 ints in the first 2 games,shaky pocket presence,ran into a couple sacks,throws to Bruce when he's double teamed,can't find an open Morgan,did have nice drive against AZ,otherwise he's doing OK

The D is the main reason for the 2-0 start

If you think he'll ever take the Niners to the SuperBowl---

so sorry

"Almost" ints don't count. I love how some fans reach so hard to criticize by citing "almost" mistakes.

Hell, I almost f*ck up many times in my job, but I am golden there because I rarely ever f*ck up when imprtant things are on the line, and get the job done right.

Lemme know when you are Quarterbacking the 1st string Offense for the 9ers. Almosts do and SHOULD be considered when you talk about a QB.

~Ceadder

While you are counting almost interceptions, I am looking at actual stats that he has thrown 9 picks in 12 games played. That is .75 ints per game. Keep on reaching.

Trent Dilfer
http://www.nfl.com/players/trentdilfer/profile?id=DIL049692

during his Superbowl year he started 8games, 12TD's, 11Int's, 76.6 QB rating.

hmmmm.. lets see.. can Shaun Hill win a superbowl playing at the same level other QB's who have won superbowls... i dont know.. hmmmm...

HELL YEAH.. like the Ravens.. we have an awesome D. great running game.. why not.. im a Fan

Go 49ers!!!

i guess i have to link this again..

Steve Young on 2009 Shaun Hill: hes playing great! not good, GREAT!!! people who undervalue Hill don't understand football!

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Steve-Young-on-KNBR/ef2dc15a-2032-4bc8-9162-10acfe31538d

he is playing great..... at one thing handing gore the football. ill root for him on sundays, but he is not the best qb on our roster.... not even the 1 imo. nate davis is ages ahead talent wise, and probably poise too. as for the first alex is too.

Gore ftw.

the haters are blind. cause hill is amazing!!!!!!!

Lol I'm sure I'll get accused of being a Hill hater but I'm not.

But fair is fair. I just don't get how people forget we were 2-0 with Alex in there as well before his injury.

Again though, I feel much more confident after this 2-0 start as opposed to 2-0 from 2007. But that has more to do with how much our entire team has changed from top to bottom. We have new coaches, new focus, new philosophy(actually have one), and better all around players.

Had Alex started this year it would have been the best 49er team he's played on. If he can lead us to 1-1 in 2006 and 2-0 in 2007 with much shttier teams then it's safe to assume we'd be 2-0 right now. To say he'd go 0-2 with this team is just plain retarded.
[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I'd say we'd be 1-1.

a pick or 2 here and there in the 'zona game and we lose. Hill won the game for us.

a pick or 2 here and there in the Seattle game and we still win. Gore won the game for us.

Just like those picks he threw in the first two games of 06 and 07? Oh wait...
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for abowers1984.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I'd say we'd be 1-1.

a pick or 2 here and there in the 'zona game and we lose. Hill won the game for us.

a pick or 2 here and there in the Seattle game and we still win. Gore won the game for us.

Just like those picks he threw in the first two games of 06 and 07? Oh wait...

Didnt make nearly as many 3rd down conversions as hill did either... and thats where the difference would have been... and please dont bring up that run either.

Hill has had a much higher completion %,
Share 49ersWebzone