About Shaun Hills Low Passing numbers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
What's not surprising is that Hill is ranked 24th in pass ATTEMPTS. That speaks to a very conservative offense? Can he pass more? Of course...he was on pace to throw for over 4,100 yards last year. He only started 8 games and finished the year ranked 12th in the entire league. Had he played a whole year, even under Martz's pared-down offense, he would have been 4th in total yards.

24 Shaun Hill SF 57
25 Trent Edwards 56
25 Carson Palmer 56
25 Tony Romo 56
28 Matt Hasselbeck 54
28 JaMarcus Russell 54
30 Mark Sanchez 53
31 Brett Favre 48
32 Matt Cassel 39

So what's changed? I'd have to say our philosophy and an old-school OC who doesn't understand Hill's abilities/strengths yet.

What's interesting is that some of these players on this list are/were injured or also have good/great defenses and rely mostly on the run. Hill is proving he can play in a wide-open offense such as Martz and a very conservative offense in Raye.

I think some of you need to back off, get perspective and realize Hill is only doing what he's coached and that is to manage games and not lose them. Period. Two weeks in a row now, when he is turned loose, he leads us to winning but ONLY when given the chance - there are no audibles in this offense. It's ALL Raye!

His low passing numbers are because he doesn't throw to the wr's enough. He is struggling through his reads, and that might be having to do with learning a new system. But make no mistake, Hill as a qb limits the plays you can call as an OC, there is just no way around it. I can almost guarantee you that you will not see Raye call a deep out pattern for Hill, he just doesn't have the arm to make some throws that the top tier qb's in the league can make. Not that he can't throw it down the field, but he cannot put enough velocity on it to keep it from hanging up and fluttering in the breeze. As long as he doesn't cost s games I got no problem with him.

Check the out-route to Josh Morgan at 1:45-2:00 in this video. Hill just needs to settle down in this offense and he will start to take more shots down field. Raye's just a little too conservative IMO.

That was Hill with a 20 yard out, not really a deep out and a nice throw anyways. Raye wasn't calling the plays either though.

So you don't consider a 20 yard out a deep out?? OK, probably medium, but that's still a nice pass in a NFL size window. I'll say this once and I'll say it again, Hill has enough arm strength to run this offense and the WCO. Laser rocket arms are over rated. I'd take a smart QB with decent arm strength over a laser rocket arm any day.

So I reviewed the reel above: (only considered the vertical passing distance, not the extra yardage to the sideline or the yards the WR got after the catch):

25 yard TD pass along the right sideline
35 yard corner route to the left sideline
30 yard TD down the middle of the field
23 yard pass down the middle of the field
25 yard out pattern to the right sideline

So, whatever it is they are complaining about is total bogus. Many of those sideline routes passes traveled well over what I stated, were right on a dime, were thrown with NO hesitation and put the WR in position to get out of bounds or pick up RAC.

In addition, Hill had 27 20+ pass completions in 8 starts last year. Double that and that's 54 which would put him 3rd in the NFL behind only Drew Brees (66) & Jay Cutler (55). Even more impressive is that Hill's offense was a pared-down version compared to when J.T. O'Sullivan was our QB the first half of the year.

So again, these arguments about how Hill can't make the long throws and Hill's arm is too weak is ignorant.

This year? Only 1 pass completed of 20+ yards and 1 of 40+. That, my friends is not Hill, that is conservative play-calling and WR's dropping balls.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM ]
I think big picture-wise Niner fans should remember an important thing...this is the 6th new offensive coordinator bringing in a new playbook for the sixth season in a row for the 49ers. Every year they are behind most teams in the league in getting acclimated & in sync offensively. What we should hopefully be seeing is steady improvement. If we don't see that, well, then we have issues for sure.

Not making excuses for Hill...he is going to have to work very hard at getting better. He won't be expected to carry the team, but they are going to have to throw the ball more to compete in the bigger games, especially if they make the playoffs. I would like to beleive tha they are trying to manage his development as a starter, and not get all crazy like Martz did with JTO last season, which cost them wins.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I think big picture-wise Niner fans should remember an important thing...this is the 6th new offensive coordinator bringing in a new playbook for the sixth season in a row for the 49ers. Every year they are behind most teams in the league in getting acclimated & in sync offensively. What we should hopefully be seeing is steady improvement. If we don't see that, well, then we have issues for sure.

Not making excuses for Hill...he is going to have to work very hard at getting better. He won't be expected to carry the team, but they are going to have to throw the ball more to compete in the bigger games, especially if they make the playoffs. I would like to beleive tha they are trying to manage his development as a starter, and not get all crazy like Martz did with JTO last season, which cost them wins.

You get it!
Share 49ersWebzone