LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 2 vs. Seahawks)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Better effort all around then last week, but need lots of work. Here's what I saw:

1) Gore is still a beast. Give him some blocking and let him go.

2) Playcalling was better than last week. In fact, I don't think that Raye calls bad plays as much as he calls them in a poor sequence. We have now demonstrated that we are capable of long, sustained, and time-eating drives. This happens when Raye opens up the playbook, mixes in the PA pass, and gives the D different looks. This is a positive. Now, if we could only do this on a more consistent basis throughout the game.

3) I'm by no means a Hill guy, but he gets the job done. His throws certainly aren't pretty and he looks to the dump-off a lot, but he really doesn't make many mistakes; he had a few bad throws today, but more importantly, no bad decisions. I'd rather that than a guy like Romo (who I'm watching right now) that makes plays but also throws a bunch of picks. That said, we'll be in trouble when we need to come back and Hill is very probably not the future. And Hill needs to get rid of the ball. He's not at a JTO level of holding it yet, but he seems reluctant to throw at times and ends up getting sacked.

4) Sure, Davis had a drop (on a tipped ball), but he looks much better and more natural. We need to get him the ball more often and earlier in the game. He had two catches in the first drive then no looks until the 2nd half. He provides a dynamic that few on our team have; part of the reason his numbers aren't great is because he doesn't get a lot of chances.

5) Need to find a way to finish drives with TDs. The last several years we've struggled in this department and sometimes it appears that we're even playing for the FG. Part of this goes back to better playcalling near the red zone.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Will watch the tape again but...

Better game for Raye but with some good came some head-scratchers too:

What I liked:
I saw a pitch out and it worked great.
I saw that Raye saw a weakness and exploited it 3 times in a row
Raye opened it up more today for Hill
Hill did a great job of 3rd down completions and dominating the TOP
Saw more balance and creativity today with Raye
Gore was dynamic
Great job o-line!
Saw lots of good individual efforts esp. on third downs when we should have been stopped (Norris had a great game)
Another home win for Hill (6-0)

What I didn't like:
Can we please do away with the wildcat?
Still WAY too conservative and predictable on certain plays. You play to win at home and this game could have been over in the 2nd quarter.
Turn Hill loose! Again, it was Raye's play-calling in the 3rd that lead to a low % again IMHP
I saw a pitch out work every time but then we stopped doing it
I saw Hill exploiting soft coverage and then we stopped doing it
I saw us using Davis and then we stopped doing it
Hill still held the ball too long at times (needs to learn to progress in his reads)
It appears if Hill does not throw it within 3 seconds we're screwed
Do we have any WR's? Do we need them? Bruce a few times a game...

PS: Screw Crabtree and oh BTW: Carolina is 0-2!

That pitch out (big third down if i remember correctly) was a GREAT call.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
This offense is not sustainable. We need a QB who can threaten deep, Hill sometimes throws the deep ball but usually checks down, and the ones he does throw are not on target.

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be getting better production with Smith.

It isn't that hard to believe.......

you guys just never give it up.......let me ask you Alexers a question.

DID ALEX COMPLETE ONE DEEP PASS in all his opportunities this preseason...

forget that! DID ALEX ATTEMPT ONE DEEP PASS AT ALL?

NO!

this is one of the supposed benefits we would get out of Alex being our Starter...and he couldn't even show case it......I would rather have a QB who wins us games, than the occasional deep pass that might not be completed (its not like we have burners out there)

Hill is doing fine...and when we have needed him in the regular season to drive down field and get us a score with his "noodle" arm, he has came through for us....

Today with a fieldgoal....last week with a TD.....and of course many many example last year as well.

next week we are going need for him to pass more... I just hope Raye has a game plan that keeps the Vikes off balance....instead of this obvious 3rd and longs where everyone knows we have to pass.

Well, the reason he didn't go deep in the preseason is because they wanted to see him in the role he has had some trouble with before. Every coach who has been around Alex has said that his deep ball is one of the best they have seen.

And today, we saw what I've seen from Hill a few times before, not noticing the pressure around him and holding the ball out there to get knocked out.
f**k the wildcat, that s**t doesnt work and its def not gonna work on 3rd and 18, hate the wildcat about as much as i hate the cowboys and broncos please dont not run the gay as play
This offense is not sustainable. We need a QB who can threaten deep, Hill sometimes throws the deep ball but usually checks down, and the ones he does throw are not on target.

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be getting better production with Smith.

NO!

this is one of the supposed benefits we would get out of Alex being our Starter...and he couldn't even show case it......I would rather have a QB who wins us games, than the occasional deep pass that might not be completed (its not like we have burners out there)

Hill is doing fine...and when we have needed him in the regular season to drive down field and get us a score with his "noodle" arm, he has came through for us....

Today with a fieldgoal....last week with a TD.....and of course many many example last year as well.

next week we are going need for him to pass more... I just hope Raye has a game plan that keeps the Vikes off balance....instead of this obvious 3rd and longs where everyone knows we have to pass.

Well, the reason he didn't go deep in the preseason is because they wanted to see him in the role he has had some trouble with before. Every coach who has been around Alex has said that his deep ball is one of the best they have seen.

And today, we saw what I've seen from Hill a few times before, not noticing the pressure around him and holding the ball out there to get knocked out.

One of the best deep balls from a YOUNG QB. Not from all QBs. Norv said that, only Norv, maybe Martz mentioned something. But no one ever confused him for Rivers, Manning (P.) or Rogers(that one hurts). I agree with Hill holding the ball out too far and having it get knocked out. But lets not pretend that Alex has a feel for pressure.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Hill is 2-0. Around 9-3 in his last 12 starts? And there is still talk about Alex Smith? I'm not a Hill guy, but please. Back Hill or wait for our next QB. Smith is finished.

NO!

You've got to be kidding me. I don't think Shaun Hill is amazing by any stretch...but Alex Smith is, and always has been, a horrible QB. Hill didn't even play bad for God's sake...he just took what the defense gave him and managed the game. We didn't need to pass the ball today because in the 2nd half, we had a double digit lead. At least with Hill, you believe he can get into a rhythm and move the chains (ie last week @ Arizona).

I will concede that Hill has to do a better job of feeling the pressure...but Alex Smith? C'mon, he's gonna do better? It's not like we got Drew Brees sitting on the bench.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

NO!

You've got to be kidding me. I don't think Shaun Hill is amazing by any stretch...but Alex Smith is, and always has been, a horrible QB. Hill didn't even play bad for God's sake...he just took what the defense gave him and managed the game. We didn't need to pass the ball today because in the 2nd half, we had a double digit lead. At least with Hill, you believe he can get into a rhythm and move the chains (ie last week @ Arizona).

I will concede that Hill has to do a better job of feeling the pressure...but Alex Smith? C'mon, he's gonna do better? It's not like we got Drew Brees sitting on the bench.

He's the one who rated a bunch of QBs higher than Sanchez.
So what about thoughts on Coffee?

I personally thought that he'd share a larger load. But from the little i've seen he looks as though he's got a long way to go.

-9fA
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Damn I just noticed that both of Gores long runs the Seahawks had 9 men in the box.

i hope either two things

1. you are blind

2. you made a sly joke
Go watch the highlights, 9 men in the box on both runs

Don't make me drive to Cedar Falls...
Pause at :21 and 1:24 and do some counting

I meant it was effin' obvious dude....they were using graphics to count how many were in the box for homer fans. How do you think he broke those? You get to the second level and you're gone...nobody left...
[ Edited by GoldenIowa49er on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM ]

This is what I have seen so far from the offense:
1. Consistent work in a specific direction - we are a running team.
2. Periodically in the flow of the game Raye/Hill get on a consistent role and put a lot of time on the clock and eat up a nice drive or two. I would like to see that happen 4 times a game with touchdowns on each of them but time and point, even if it is a three, have a psychological effect on both teams.
3. The Oline is physically dominating the other teams and it appears to be having a positive effect for us by the 4th quarter.
4. The team seems to be buying into the philosophy even in the first game when the running game was going no where.
5. Raye/Hill throw just enough to keep the pass in the backs of the other teams mind.
6. There is promise that on some game in the future, hopefully this week, where Hill will hit on all cylinders and Gore will run on all cylinders and we will put up 35-40 points.
7. V. Davis looks like he is ready to start catching the ball consistently. I would like to see Davis get 10 catches a game.
8. Hill does just enough to win the game.
9. Smith and N. Davis can sit on the bench and process the data. The longer Hill plays the more comfortable Smith and Davis can be when, and if, their turn comes.
10. With Gore's running this last game the system, and the process were validated.
11. We have won both of our games, fairly handily.
12. With more consistency, and creativity, we can put up 28-35 points per game. If we give up 10-17 points a game we will win most of our games.
Need to use the play action alot more. Liked the wildcat play that should have been a first down if it were Robinson or Battle running it. I don't understand why Spurlock is running it at all.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I personally thought that he'd share a larger load. But from the little i've seen he looks as though he's got a long way to go.

-9fA

Coffee is another that gets better with more snaps. Once he feels his comfort level, his vision starts getting better. I don't know if its rookie jitters or what, but he doesn't look like the same Coffee as we all witnessed in Preseason.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

Coffee is another that gets better with more snaps. Once he feels his comfort level, his vision starts getting better. I don't know if its rookie jitters or what, but he doesn't look like the same Coffee as we all witnessed in Preseason.

Looks like jitters to me. He wasn't patient sunday like he was in preseason. He will be fine.
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
we need a bigger arm at QB

I'm reminded of that picture someone posted with Hill being the pie thrower. The man just does not have an arm. Those so called quick passes to the wide receiver either bounced on the way or took forever to reach the receiver. I just dont see how we can continue to win with the weak QB play. Thanks to Gore for the big runs.. he saved our ass. Pashos or Snyder...flip a coin. Hind sight is 20/20 but I watched the Raven/Charger game a little during the breaks and was pretty impressed with Oher.

Oh I almost forgot, Hey Maddog how about the first Gore touchdown, Baas pulled and sealed the hole nicely. As a matter of fact what i saw today he played well.

After watching Hill he still is a pie thrower that wins.
Baas looks looked like s**t in the Rams game. (Eating my words)
Share 49ersWebzone